Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
580 Mini 14 Tactical polymer stock.
Looking for options on sling swivels that will mount in the factory locations.
Also some tactical sling options.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ive been looking also without much luck. Right now i have the swivel studs that came with the stock and a heavy key ring on the one im using.
Im thinking about trying the Magpul MSA - MOE.

If this is even the same type rifle stock we are talking about.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If this is even the same type rifle stock we are talking about.
Thats why i said this..
I wasnt sure of the tactical model stock. I have a folder.
I guess the tactical is a regular looking stock just polymer like a syn. stock.

Sorry for confusion!

·
Registered
103 Posts
raven,

So those Grove Tec swivels look to have a threaded female socket that you screw into your stock or metal parts somewhere, then it has the push-button QD swivel with 1-1/4" strap D-loop. Where would you mount this, for a tactical sling? Oftentimes, tactical AR-15 slings mount to top of stock or receiver/rail, so the rifle front-hangs upright and ready to grip.

regency,

Yes, sorry, I should have mentioned that the stock stock (on all Minis, I think) has only one "swivel", as such, 3" from the butt pad on the bottom of the rear (shoulder) stock. It does not rotate. Only the strap D-ring swings front-to-back. The front sling attach point is integral to the muzzle-end of the gas block, and, again, only the strap D-ring swings front-to-back. No rotation. This is not detachable in any way unless you are willing to unbend and open the D-ring metal loop itself. I am sure this "heart ache" imposed by Ruger has been beat to death in old threads....

Both front and rear Ruger strap D-loops are for 1" wide webbing. Fairly light construction.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
regency,

I did know any swivel studs came on or with the factory-stock stock (polymer GBCPC Tactical models)? You saidDo you have some sort of after-market stock?
I have the Std Ruger polymer stock.
It has a screw in stud @ the rear of the stock and a loop on the gad block.
I drilled both locations to fit my Tallon sling loops.
The only thing is the loop I installed on the gas block will not fully close because the block is just a little too thick.
It works but not as designed.
However I just picked up a BlackHawk 3 point sling that seems to have a lot of mounting options.
After the Old Lady goes to work and the Cupcake is in bed I will see what I own and report back.

·
Registered
103 Posts
JRCmx,

Got some photos of your set-up that you can post? Or web links to the type of Tallon sling loops you use? I can't envision what you are talking about.

And I guess the Blackhawk rig will further complicate my getting an understanding.

Maybe the 3-point Blackhawk is similar to the Specter Gear family I post about below (see my next post)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
web wrap style attachment of tactical sling to rifle

JCRmx and All,

While I/we/he try to figure out the OP's request for swivel options for tactical slings, I noticed that there is this whole other category of sling attachments that does not seem to use the swivels at all. Here's one for the Mini-14/30 from Specter Gear:

That is from Optics Planet at Specter Gear Mini-14 / 30 CQB Sling - 6 options (Price about $30)

Now, for me, this is ugly as sin! I do not like this strap running the length of the rifle. Besides ugly, It's gotta cause some problems somewhere along the line, seems to me. But anyway, here is the rest of the sling info:

Specter Gear have two models designed to fit Ruger Mini-14 / 30 carbines. # 010 fits conventional fixed stock Mini-14's with bottom mounted sling swivels. For folding stock Mini-14 types with side mounted front and rear 1" sling swivels such as the Mini-14/20GBF or the AC556GF order the 1" Universal CQB Sling. This sling is 1.25" wide, fully ambidextrous, available in Black, Olive Drab or Coyote Tan, and with or without an EmergencyRelease Buckle (ERB).

#010 Mini-14/30 Standard Stock, Bottom Mounted Front Sling Swivel
Front and rear mounting adapters provided
#010 BLK. Black.
#010 BLK-ERB. Black, w/ERB.
#010 OD. Olive Drab.
#010 OD-ERB. Olive Drab, w/ERB.
#010 COY. Coyote Tan.
#010 COY-ERB. Coyote Tan, w/ERB.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
JCRmx and All,

While I/we/he try to figure out the OP's request for swivel options for tactical slings, I noticed that there is this whole other category of sling attachments that does not seem to use the swivels at all. Here's one for the Mini-14/30 from Specter Gear:

That is from Optics Planet at Specter Gear Mini-14 / 30 CQB Sling - 6 options (Price about $30)

Now, for me, this is ugly as sin! I do not like this strap running the length of the rifle. Besides ugly, It's gotta cause some problems somewhere along the line, seems to me. But anyway, here is the rest of the sling info:
The BlackHawk rig is set up like the Specter rig you have there.
The only difference is the rear point is on the top of the butstock where the Specter is on the side of the butstock.

Is there a kit that would allow me to have a integral sling loop in the left side of the stock so I could remove the tri-strap adaptor on the butstock?
I would have to cut a hole in the stock then screw in the sling loop into the stock. Like Beretta did with the CX4 Storm.

Here is the Tallon loop I am running now.
However I do not need to use the rear loop with the BlackHawk set up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what I am thinking about.
Who sells these in 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" for a polymer stock.
Good idea?

Thinking about dropping the BlackHawk butstock sling adapter and installing something like this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also can this GB gas block be installed on an 580 mini, or is there an aftermarket option that has a sling loop on the side like this does?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Single-point-attach patrol slings

Even though our OP said
Looking for options on sling swivels that will mount in the factory locations.
Also some tactical sling options.
I always liked the front-carry ready-position of a single point attached sling, for a general tactical sling. This is OT but not so far off, because the OP also asked about "Also some tactical sling options".

Anyway, here is a single-point sling carry mode:

What I want to know is, is there a point on the Mini-14/30 where I could add a swivel or swivel QD socket for such a single-point sling? Has anyone here on the forum done it? How'd it go?

Of course, you mostly see this kind of attachment to an AR15, M16, M4 and similar. Here are the details of attachment on that genre of rifle:

Seems to me we'd want to attach such a sling to the back of the receiver on top of a Mini(?). Or to the top of the butt stock where it mates to the receiver, on the top of the stock. Whaddaya think?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've modified my Choate full length pistol grip stock, so I can add a Giles 3 Point Sling. I installed three swivel studs along the left side of the stock. I'll snap a few pix a little later and get em uploaded.

The process was pretty easy. Had to shorten one of the studs, so it wouldn't contact the stock liner. Other then that, drill holes, tap em, screw in for test fit, remove, epoxy then set the studs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
PDXS3T,

Can't wait to see your pics. I looked up the Choate model stock I think you have, but cannot envision your attach points.

Do you think one has to have a pistol grip in order for the front-carry patrol position makes sense? (regardless of whether it's single-point, 2-point or 3-point sling attachment?)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So those Grove Tec swivels look to have a threaded female socket that you screw into your stock or metal parts somewhere, then it has the push-button QD swivel with 1-1/4" strap D-loop. Where would you mount this, for a tactical sling?
I mounted mine to the top of the buttstock. The forward sling mounting position is a QD picatinny rail swivel mounted to a side rail on the forend.

Do you think one has to have a pistol grip in order for the front-carry patrol position makes sense?
No. I use the front carry position on my M-14's and Ranch Rifles that are in standard profile stocks. It works very well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
@Bill_Rights: Here is a couple of pix, and the swivel studs I mounted into the Choate stock. I'll now be able to attach the Giles 3 Point Sling, using a couple of QD Swivels. The only hard stud to place was the first one. Had to cut the stud down a bit, then place the hole exact, so to catch enough plastic inside of the stock and, not to bother the stock liner. I haven't gotten the sling yet, waiting until after the Holiday to place an order for it. I think though, it will work out nice.

And I don't really think you need a pistol grip stock at all. With a little thought anything is possible. That is actually one of the things I will have to give thought too when I start on my Mini-30. I'm going to use a conventional stock for its build.

And I have to stick with 3 Point Slings, because of my disability. I've lost most of the use of my left arm and losing the feet and legs too. So I walk with a cane. Now I have to teather things to my body, to avoid dropping them. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have been looking at The Wilderness Giles 3 Point Tactical Sling, for my Mini. I though that I had my mind made up. That's what I get for thinking.

Giles Sling for Dual Side-Swivels: Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA

Then I started reading about the Specter 3 Point Tactical Sling. From the sounds of it, its more sling for the buck. The wider 1.5" strap is what caught my attention the most. The only thing I can't tell, if its made in the U.S.A.

AR And Shotgun Slings :: Specter Slings :: Universal SOP 3 Point
Tactical Sling With ERB - GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale

1 - 20 of 21 Posts