Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally was able to remove my 580 series mini flash hider (with much effort) and unfortunately my barrel is threaded 9/16x24. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as finding a flash hider to fit these threads? I'd like to keep it in the $50 range if possible. I bought a nice 3 prong flash hider to put on the barrel before I found out mine has an older Ruger thread size, so no go on that. Nothing fancy and I'm open to all suggestions, thank you!

Even muzzle breaks with 9/16x24 I would consider

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RIBob but that's pretty much what I just removed from the rifle. I'm looking for something a bit different, maybe 3 prong or a small diameter break.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can also get a thread adapter that screws onto your 9/16X24 that leaves a standard AR pitch muzzle thread.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Thanks RIBob but that's pretty much what I just removed from the rifle. I'm looking for something a bit different, maybe 3 prong or a small diameter break.
What you have now (Ruger OEM FS), and what I linked are more-or-less A1-style flash suppressors-- so-called "Birdcage" type. Typically quite effective.

Based on tests of flash suppressors/brakes/compensators done here: https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ar-...mp-brake-tests-bonus-308-brake-comp-test.html ,what you already have is likely more effective as a flash suppressor than almost anything you are likely to buy, not to mention your somewhat uncommon thread pattern. This includes the 3-prong FS. Your FS is already paid for; nothing to buy.

Probably the least expensive alternative is to buy a thread adaptor, and jam nut, since many muzzle devices need to be indexed, hence the jam nut. All linked in a post above.

In that case, I suggest the common (and inexpensive) 1/2 x 28 thread AR-type A2 style flash suppressor. Does well at flash suppression, and the closed bottom reduces dust signature, and helps a little in keeping the muzzle down. Jam nut required.

The A2 suppressor, thread adaptor, and jam nut should be within your budget, and be an improvement over OEM FS. You will also have the option of other, common AR-type muzzle devices in the future. No irreversible modification to firearm required.

All the best of luck, and please report back!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I threaded a Mini to 9/16x24 and the selection was slim. That thread is mostly for Glock 40 caliber barrels. I did find a birdcage (A2) version threaded in 9/16x24 and I bought that and put it on. Someone already said it, the bird cage has had a lot of research behind it and it is a very effective design. I personally like the bird cage design the best. I have tried others and I keep going back to that one.
I absolutely hate brakes. Too darn noisy.

My next build will be with this suhttps://www.ballisticadvantage.com/vg6-precision-delta-556-bead-blasted-stainless-steel.htmlppressor:
Or this one:

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/vg6-precision-delta-556.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I appreciate all the replies and suggestions, I've been looking for 24 hours and the selection is slim at best for 9/16x24. I'm going with a thread adapter 9/16x24 to 1/2x28 and see how that goes, I have a nice 3 prong flash hider I want to mount on the Mini. Here is what I found...
https://www.thesilencerstore.com/product-p/ad-ar-004lh.htm

So I'm hanging on to my stock A2 flash hider just in case this doesn't work and I can go back to stock. I don't know what Ruger used to secure the stock unit to the barrel, but it was a real bear to get off and it took a lot of effort. Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Well I appreciate all the replies and suggestions, I've been looking for 24 hours and the selection is slim at best for 9/16x24. I'm going with a thread adapter 9/16x24 to 1/2x28 and see how that goes, I have a nice 3 prong flash hider I want to mount on the Mini. Here is what I found...
https://www.thesilencerstore.com/product-p/ad-ar-004lh.htm

So I'm hanging on to my stock A2 flash hider just in case this doesn't work and I can go back to stock. I don't know what Ruger used to secure the stock unit to the barrel, but it was a real bear to get off and it took a lot of effort. Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.
Good luck with your choice! In the future, if you want to use muzzle devices that require indexing, you will need some small-size (1/2") crush washers for them. Get a few. Order at same time and save on shipping.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I finally was able to remove my 580 series mini flash hider (with much effort) and unfortunately my barrel is threaded 9/16x24. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as finding a flash hider to fit these threads? I'd like to keep it in the $50 range if possible. I bought a nice 3 prong flash hider to put on the barrel before I found out mine has an older Ruger thread size, so no go on that. Nothing fancy and I'm open to all suggestions, thank you!

Even muzzle breaks with 9/16x24 I would consider
I had my gunsmith put a Choate "Bird Cage" on both of my 580's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know what Ruger used to secure the stock unit to the barrel, but it was a real bear to get off and it took a lot of effort. Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.
Do you have any secrets to share. I tried unsuccessfully to get mine off a couple weeks ago. It was on tight enough that I shelved the project for another day. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have any secrets to share. I tried unsuccessfully to get mine off a couple weeks ago. It was on tight enough that I shelved the project for another day. ;)
I think I remember using a small butane torch to heat the front sight to remove it. The is a company that sells a front sight removal tool for the Mini.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to buy a vise and barrel blocks and soak the birdcage in kroil for a day and then apply heat and using a torx 60, it finally broke free with much force applied. It's been on there over 10 years and it didn't want to come off.

·
Formerly "raf"
1,525 Posts
Just for reference purposes, what is length added by the adaptor?

The adaptor seems to necessarily add a certain amount of additional length.

Please be as exact as possible as to length added by adaptor.

IMHO, the added length imposed by using such adaptors needs to be considered in light of the added mass which such adaptors add to the muzzle of Pencil Barrels.

Added, useful, mass at the muzzle of Pencil Barrels is almost always a Good Thing.

Just asking. There is no wrong answer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It adds 3/4 of an inch to the total length of the barrel. Mine is installed on a new tactical with a tapered barrel, not a pencil barrel but I'm sure it would be the same on that one too. I haven't shot it yet, hopefully tomorrow weather permitting.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I had an adapter to a skinny barrel and it added approximately 3/4 of an inch to the barrel not counting the flash hider. With the adapter on and the adapter off it had 2 distinct different POI's for the bullets.

I found with the adapter on I got slightly better accuracy. Just slightly better. The POI was probably 3 or 4 inches apart. I dropped the adapter and used a jamb nut and a washer and the flash hider threaded for 9/16x24 and that was my best accuracy with a skinny barrel.

I then put on a cut down Choate front sight and slid it back to the machine line and pinned it on. My accuracy improved again. It was finally a 2" gun at 100 with that set up.

I always hoped to find a buggered up Mini to build up but the prices went sky high so everything is setting in limbo.

kwg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts