Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buying a barrel or selling one? Gun Parts Corporation has 18 inch SS takeoffs with sights for 81-91 bucks depending on condition.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Are you re-barreling because yours is worn out, or just to have the shorter length and a flash hider?

If it's the latter, IMO it'd be worth it to have GunDoc cut yours down to 16.5", crown, and thread it to 1/2-28 and install a birdcage flash hider.

I know it's a bit more than what you're looking at ($150), but my understanding is that swapping barrels on a Mini typically requires adjusting your headspace (which isn't easy unless you're a gunsmith). By the time you buy a new barrel and have a 'smith install it and check/adjust your headspace, you'll be well over $150 for a GunDoc CCT job.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The latter. I dont really want to ship the rifle around and noone around here will do what i need done.
Heck ive even emailed RedJacket about doing it, without response back!
Around here you mention barrel threading and everyone gets all nervous... a bunch of tree hugers around here!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The latter. I dont really want to ship the rifle around and noone around here will do what i need done.
Heck ive even emailed RedJacket about doing it, without response back!
Around here you mention barrel threading and everyone gets all nervous... a bunch of tree hugers around here!
For the record, I wouldn't let Red Jacket touch an AirSoft pistol. Hell, I'll bore and rifle my own barrel before I'll let them replace the surgical tubing on my slingshot.

I can understand your reservations, but there's really no hassle in shipping a rifle to GunDoc -- just be sure to be honest with UPS or USPS when they ask you what's in the box... ;)

Have you found a 'smith who will re-barrel your action and set headspace properly?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea totaly understand the RJF deal, but figured i could get them do this simple job. But since they wont answer back im not worried about them anymore.
The smiths around here wont do anything, for me atleast. Im not sure whats going on, ive never had guns worked on and now i want some simple stuff done and cant get anyone to help.
I am very able to cut, crown, and thread myself but ive never done so on a gun barrel. I just need to check with the local UPS and see whats going to be involved with shipping a firearm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Red Jacket is in their own world, since the TV show. I doubt you will get a response back from them.

There is no problems shipping a firearm for repair work through UPS. Just be honest and up front about what you are shipping.

From what I've read and understand. It would be best to have your exsisting barrel chopped, crowned and threaded by a gunsmith like GunDoc. Replacing the barrel is a major hassle and best done by the factory.

You can do a search on GunDoc. He's done a lot of work for peeps here and will do a good job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I assume a pencil barrel cannot be replaced with a heavier barrel? And the factory doesn't modify? I'm just thinking ahead. Or, if it ever comes back from Ruger and I can get 200 rounds thru it with no problem, I will buy a updated one. The pressure is now on them. No AR's for me, I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts