Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchaced a bunch of .223 stripper clips from a gun show and the Mini-14 stripper addapter from cheaper than dirt, but I can't get these things to work in any of my mags: PMI, USA, or Pro Mag. I put ten rounds in the stripper and the guide on the mag and push down on the rounds, but instead of going into the mag the rounds start popping out of thr stripper clip! The rounds slide in and out of the stripper clip easily enough individually, but when there is multiple rounds in the stripper clip they bind each other up. If anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it.:usa:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey MW, I have been thinking about getting the same set up you have, but the only stripper clips I've used is on the M-1. Can you load the mag with it latched in the mag well? Or do you have to use the guide on the mag out of the rifle?
It is hard to visulize the problem without having seen the guide, and clip. If the clip holds the rounds ok, then it would seem the guide is at fault?
I am going to move this thread to the Magazine Talk forum, but leave a link in the mini-14 talk forum, so we can get double exposure from members, to your problem.
I know someone in this forum has delt with this. HELP!

·
Registered
224 Posts
MW740-
Make sure the stripper clips are new!!!! I had some gunshow specials that were used, had sand in them etc, and didn't work for *^%$%%^*. Make sure the clip is seated to the little tit that references. I found that if you look at the mag from the side there is a little play front to back so you can play with the angle that the clip enters the top of the mag. I think you want to be sure that the stripper clip is tilted fully foreward (to the front of the rounds). Hope this helps.

Cajungeo-
These work with the mag out of the rifle. One more excuse to buy spares!

;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Some .223 stripper clips have a bit of rust in the channels where the spring clip rides. When this happens, they bind. I've found that putting a little oil in the channels and working an empty shell up and down in the clip for a couple of minutes usually clears it for me. Wolf ammo with steel case seems to be the best tool for this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
...can be a real pain! Used stripper clips do not work well without some cleaning and light lubrication. After using the clips and the adapter, and the fact that you must load the magazine out of the rifle, I find that I can almost load the magazines by hand more quickly that loading them with the strippers. I would suggest that you try new clips and see how they work for you. :usa:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all. Cheaper than Dirt has a new style stripper clip guide for the AR's but it can be used on mini 14's also. It looks like the fully enclosed guides for the AK's-front, back and sides are enclosed with an open top. If you dont have Visegrip hands, this should work for you.

Item # ARR-011; AR-15 Stripper Clip Guide Speed Feed, $5.97

On stripper clips; the new USGI are that-new. Meaning that there is a minimial amount of play when loaded. I always stripped in three rounds, than another three followed with the remaining four. Once broken in, ten rounds zip right in.

works for me........rollingstone
:D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I use the full sized plastic type that fully encloses the clip and shells. I have never had a problem with them. They are a bummer to carry. Also they wont accept curved strippers. I have yet to find one for the mini 30.:usa:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had good luck with stripper clips. I bought all of mine in a used but "like new" condition. I've got about 200 of them. I bought a guide specificly for the mini but found that the one for the AR works also if you do it right.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum Stepbyrd, May I ask where you got your guide, and the brand ? I would like to try the clips if I could get a reliable set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The guide I purchased from Cheaper than dirt. It's one that works like the standard M16/AR15. It just sits on the back of the mag. Like I said, the standard AR15 one works about the same as far as ease of use. You just have to watch where the rim of the cartridge is striking the mag and adjust your grip on the guide and rounds. CTD has a new one that covers the entire top of the mag. I'm thinking about trying one of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fellow members, I recently tried the CTD standard stripper clip guide on the two types of mags I use, which are factory Ruger 20 rd, and Precision Mag 20 rounders. The guide worked great on the factory Rugers (which it appears to be designed for). I found that if I placed my thumb close to the base of rounds and used a downward pumbing action, I could feed 2 or 3 at a time until all ten were in. Unfortunately, the guide would not properly fit the Precision mags. It appears that the width of these mags (where the guide attaches ) is approximately .020" wider than the Rugers. I did try to force the guide on but stopped when I could see the metal beginning to scratch. If I decide to try the CTD fully enclosed guide I will post the result. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.