Perfect Union banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m interested in a Mini-14, 16”, suppressed. The Ruger web site lists a 5847 blued. But, the “LE/Military” sub-site lists a 5819 in matte stainless. The 5819 specs do not mention selective fire (bursts) or full auto so it appears from what I can find that the 5847 and the 5819 are identical in form and function except for the blued vs. matte stainless.

So the question is: Can John Q. Public buy the LE/Military 5819 matte stainless? Any words of wisdom on that?

Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes you can purchase LE models at this time pending availability.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can buy 'em if you can find 'em. Even before all of this hulabaloo the LE models were hard to find - I was told you needed to go through LGS that had an "in" with Ruger.

I hope you are able to get one. I love my Tactical (5847), but REALLY want it in stainless with the Amega rail (which would be model 5832)! Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
182 Posts
tri70 - The 5819 is actually the "Patrol Rifle" that is basically a tactical version in SS with a 16.15" barrel but does not have the Amega rail.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't see a 5819 model, Ruger does not make a select fire model mini anymore....
Sadly, those went away with the end of the AC556....:(

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The only thing "LE/MIL" about the Patrol Rifles is the price. Ruger wholesales them to their distributors at a reduced price, which the distributors and retailers then pass along to agencies and individual officers/soldiers.

There's nothing as far as features that makes these a restricted item. It's simply a Ruger policy that they're only to be sold to LE/MIL. Having said that, many LE/MIL dealers simply don't care and will sell them to anyone who can pass NICS.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly, those went away with the end of the AC556....:(
It is true that the AC556 is no longer manufactured. It is NOT true that the 5819 is no longer manufactured. The 5819 is a current model listed on the Ruger LE/Military web site, a separate site from the standard Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. web site.

Try going to the LE/Military web site, Ruger® Mini-14® Patrol Rifle Models where the Mini-14 "Patrol Rifles" are shown, including the 5819. From there you can navigate to the LE/Military "Tactical Rifles."

Notice on the LE/Military pages there is no "ORDER" button for any of the LE/Military models. Instead, Ruger publishes a list of distributors on the LE/Military site at Ruger LE - Distributor Listing. I guess you have to contact one of them, or someone else with an inside track, to purchase LE/Military.

BTW - Thanks to all for replying to my originally posted question that started this thread. I got the answer I needed and more.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I believe Ruger stopped supporting the AC556 models too!:unsure:
That's affirmative, it was either before or around the time they stopped supporting the 180 series IIRC.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only thing "LE/MIL" about the Patrol Rifles is the price. Ruger wholesales them to their distributors at a reduced price, which the distributors and retailers then pass along to agencies and individual officers/soldiers.

There's nothing as far as features that makes these a restricted item. It's simply a Ruger policy that they're only to be sold to LE/MIL. Having said that, many LE/MIL dealers simply don't care and will sell them to anyone who can pass NICS.
Not true. Ruger only makes their LE rifles available to "Ruger Law Enforcement Distributors". Any LGS can set themselves up as a standard Ruger dealer, as long as they meet the purchase requirements. However, Ruger LE Distributors operate under an entirely different set of rules. The Ruger "LE Only" firearms cannot be sold to anybody who doesn't have active or retired LE credentials. Those purchases are occasionally audited, and the dealer must have proof that those weapons were sold to LE personnel.

I had a long discussion with my Ruger LE Distributor about this issue when I bought my stainless patrol rifle (5819). The small amount of Ruger patrol rifles that have entered into the mainstream, have either been sold off by qualifying LE's, or by Ruger LE Distributors who have violated the provisions of the contract that they have with Ruger.

Ruger has historically been very protective of their law enforcement product line. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it is what it is. That's one area of their business that hasn't changed since the death of Bill Ruger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Should there be any markings on the rifle that indicate LE? The only physical differences between the 5812 LE and the 5847 non LE that I can see on Rugers website is a slight difference in weight and overall length.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Should there be any markings on the rifle that indicate LE? The only physical differences between the 5812 LE and the 5847 non LE that I can see on Rugers website is a slight difference in weight and overall length.
It will be marked "LE" on the receiver by the serial number.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know about the 5812's, but the 5819 and the 5832 that I purchased, and all the current production LE rifles that I've looked at are NOT MARKED LE anywhere on the rifle. All of the older Post 94 GB rifles that Ruger produced are LE marked, even those manufactured after the ban sunset. I suppose Ruger could have recently began putting the LE marks back on the 580+ receivers, but I have yet to see one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't think I saw any markings on my 5811 but I'm not where I can grab it and look. I'm pretty sure there is nothing indicating LE on the box either. So I would assume that you would have to call Ruger and reference the serial number to find out for sure. Or in my case I have the box that shows the model number 5811 and the serial number that I can match up to mini. In the end, am I correct in thinking that it really doesn't matter one way or another if it is LE or not?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts