Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know what you're thinking. "Not another 5.56/.223 thread." You're in luck! This isn't that thread.

I just picked up my new Mini 14 yesterday and noticed that the receiver is stamped "5.56 NATO." Is that usual? Everywhere I look I hear people's are stamped "cal .223"

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It has the true A2 NATO chamber and can shoot 5.56 NATO or 223 ammo. The target model is the only 223 Rem chamber in the mini line up. You should only use 223 Rem ammo for the target model.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Ok, I know what you're thinking. "Not another 5.56/.223 thread." You're in luck! This isn't that thread.

I just picked up my new Mini 14 yesterday and noticed that the receiver is stamped "5.56 NATO." Is that usual? Everywhere I look I hear people's are stamped "cal .223"
didnt know they started stamping them as 5.56. Do you have a pic?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed that too. I looked at a 582 tactical in sportsman's warehouse a few weeks ago and it was stamped 5.56. I guess Ruger got tired of people calling and asking about it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
As far as i know all mini 14s (Except Target model as stated above) are chambered in 5.56 since they started making them. Even if they are marked 223. Ruger knowing shooters would shoot cheaper mill spec ammo built them to 5.56 specs. You can shoot 223 in a 5.56 but you should not shoot 5.56 in a gun chambered only for 223. 5.56 has 10000 psi higher chamber pressure. than 223.
But if in doubt call Ruger. Every owners manual for a mini 14 I have seen says its 5.56 is ok.
I guess Ruger finally started marking them 5.56 so people who dont read owners manuals or get one with the gun would be able to figgure out they could shoot either cartridge.

Reactions: YZblue

·
Registered
34 Posts
On your new Ranch Rifle with the 5.56 stamping:

I bought a new Ranch Model 5801 2 weeks ago...it has 5.56 Nato stamping.

1. Does it have the drilled and tapped holes for mounting the new Ruger picatinny receiver rail?

Yes

2. Did it come with the picatinny receiver rail?

Yes and regular ruger mounts as well.

3. Did you disassemble the bolt and and clean the firing pin and firing pin channel? (As I do with new rifles.) If so, was your firing pin the original style or the new fluted-shaft firing pin?

I didn't disassemble the bolt, but did break down everything else...a few filings and metal residue but other wise pretty clean. Greased it up and worked the action 'lots'. Have now run 250 assorted rounds through it...5.56, .223, home loads and russian steel....all performed flawlessly. Action is now very smooth. Using grease in the action has made it very quiet and smooth.....no recoil to talk off and none of the 'clanking' I was expecting...

5. If you feel comfortable with posting it, what are the first 5 numbers of the serial number?
582-53xxx

Oh, it's also pretty accurate....could get all rounds in a 4 inch group at 50 yards...that was freestanding with a 'hot hot' barrel and 3 different shooters. could have done a lot better with a rest. Very impressed with it....:D

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
582-53xxx

Oh, it's also pretty accurate....could get all rounds in a 4 inch group at 50 yards...that was freestanding with a 'hot hot' barrel and 3 different shooters. could have done a lot better with a rest. Very impressed with it....:D
I like that comment. Sounds real world. True performance of a rifle in the hands of a bunch of dudes standing around having fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone! So I guess the consensus is that Ruger is just trying to be more helpful in their classifications.

I took it to the range yesterday and it shoots like a dream! Now I'm off to go fine tune it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 05805 582-546xx and it is marked 5.56 NATO, drilled and tapped with rail. Has a manufacture date of Sept. 2013. Basic cleaning (not firing pin) and waiting to fire it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys-
I'm new here, so I got a lot of catching up to do-
What am I missing here regarding a new receiver mount picatinny rail on Minis? This is the first I have heard of it. When did Ruger start doing that and on which models?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Billy,
Yes it is new for 2013. Where the scope rings mount on the receiver, there are also drilled and tapped holes, to use the optional Picatinnay* rail that comes with the gun from the factory. A factory supplied option for mounting optics..

Edit: for all 2013 model mini 14's and 30's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 582 mini 14 tactical was marked .223. I said "was" because it went back to ruger for the third time for FTE issues, I guess I got a REALLY bad one…

They are sending me a new one within the next two weeks and I'll check if it is marked .223 or 5.56. I read on another board that they are now producing the 583 series, I don't know what changes were made.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Billy,
Yes it is new for 2013. Where the scope rings mount on the receiver, there are also drilled and tapped holes, to use the optional Picatinnay* rail that comes with the gun from the factory. A factory supplied option for mounting optics..

Edit: for all 2013 model mini 14's and 30's.
I'd be interested in seeing good pics of this if anyone has them. I saw nothing on Ruger's website and this is news to me. Wondering if a 580 series could be drilled and tapped to ad this. I hate the stock scope ring setup with the half moon grooves. Shoots loose often even with a Walkenbear reduced gas port bushing and a shock buffer. I already have to use a butt stock riser as it is though to get a good sight picture through the Leupold.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts