Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Awesome Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ruger used to produce the ac-556 with a short (13 inch I think?) barrel. I have been thinking about getting mine registered as an SBR and chopping the barrel. Was wondering if there were any reliability issues associated with the short minis because I know the decreased dwell time can have an effect. As far as I know it should be fine, but I've never looked into it.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I know ruger used to produce the ac-556 with a short (13 inch I think?) barrel. I have been thinking about getting mine registered as an SBR and chopping the barrel. Was wondering if there were any reliability issues associated with the short minis because I know the decreased dwell time can have an effect. As far as I know it should be fine, but I've never looked into it.
I'd send a query directly over to Gundoc - he'll steer you in the right direction.

·
Super Awesome Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm....sounds like a lot of work.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Before you decide to do that you might want to take a look at this thread.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/71010-shorter-barrels-photo-comparison.html
Not all of us have the 16" barreled mini.

I happen to know that Bcavin is sporting an older non ranch mini - with an 18" barrel

a 5" chop would be a significant change to his rifle's handling.
and IMHO - if he wants to deal with the SBR paperwork, if he's going to chop the barrel anyway... He might as well go to the shortest possible length for the capability of the rifle.

Hey Bcavin... could you imagine what my Troy MCS monster would look like with a cut down barrel?
bet it would look bad ass...

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I have a 13" AC-556

The gas system on my gun has a larger gas port to make sure it cycles.

Let me tell you some things about a 13" barrel

1. It's LOUD. Wear ear muffs when you fire the gun.
2. It's going to cost you $200.00
3. If you ever send the gun back to Ruger they will put a factory length barrel back on the gun.
4. SBR are not legal in all states. If you move states you may or may not be able to take it with you.
5. You have to engrave the gun.

Not saying you shouldnt do it. But I believe you are better off with a 16" barrel

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I chose to go for the SBR look without all of the extra tax expense and noise. Not to mention the accuracy improvement after shortening the barrel and adding the Choate M1A lookalike unit.

With the permanently attached Choate unit, the overall barrel length is 16 1/2" long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts