Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a review of the mini 14 in the May-June 1975 issue of Rifle magazine. It was interesting to read what was thought of the mini before it was... "available for retail sale."

The author (George Nonte) gave a detailed description of the mini 14 including similarities/dissimilarities with the M14, the operation of the rifle, and disassembly. There are lots of good photos of the rifle he was using (serial#180-00802) as well as his overall impressions, which were favorable.

Some of the things I thought noteworthy were that the current production runs were being taken up by police and foreign governments (doesn't say which ones), high capacity magazines will be available only to police and military (ya...right), and the retail price was $200. At the range the author states he shot several lots of military 5.56mm ball ammo and some Remington and Federal commercial .223 and the rifle shot 2-2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. He said the best ammo was the military ball, but he didn't specify what type. There wasn't a picture of the targets so I don't know whether or not to believe him. My mini ranch certainly didn't do that well out of the box. There were several pictures of the rifle used and the barrel looks to be the same as what is currently available.

If any of you would like to get a copy of this magazine you can call Wolfe Publishing, 800-899-7810 and ask for Rifle magazine back issue #39. It's $6.00 postpaid. It takes about a week to get it. If they are out of them let me know and I'll scan it and e-mail it to you. The article is over 4 pages of text and photos so it'll take awhile to download.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
That was interesting history Boilermaker, the thing about the gun writers is if they write favorable articles on new products, they get first crack at more new products to write about. I'm not saying they lie, but they do everything they can to make the product look good. Maby his best group was 2 1/2 inches, after trying 12 different boxes of ammo . So I like to read several articles, sometimes you will get someone who tells it like it is. We do like to tell it like it is at this forum, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts