Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a few of those quick release swivels, but would you believe they don't fit? The rear swivel post threaded into the stock has a hole in it, but the "axle" on the Uncle Mike's QD is too big to fit through the hole. I thought about drilling it out, but at that point I think it's easier to just replace it with a new one. That's how I got into the 1903 thing. I found one from an M1A that looks interesting too. The rear sling attachment on the M1A doesn't swivel, but it sure is beefy. Tempting...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found one from an M1A that looks interesting too. The rear sling attachment on the M1A doesn't swivel, but it sure is beefy. Tempting...
The M14/M1A rear swivel mounts into a rectangular slot in the bottom of the stock. It is held in by the lower butt plate screw. That's not likely to work on a Mini-14.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would drill it or do like I did and twist that one out and twist in an uncle mikes QD stud. I pulled the sling loop from my gas block and drilled it for QD swivel at the same time.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jeff do you use a tactical sling or just a standard sling? If you use a tactical sling you can mount the sling mount in the top hole of the steel buttplate. Also Midwest industries sells a nice QD Sling mount for the SR-22 that you can tap into your stock (front or back).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'd just get a wood screw QD swivel stud. I'd also highly recommend installing a front stud in the stock, rather than using the swivel in the gas block.

Call the guys at GrovTec. They make a "kit" for the Mini-14, but will put whatever parts you need/want together for you.

When I was looking for the right swivel stud set for my Mini, I couldn't find a short enough machine screw stud in stainless for the front (drilled my stock, used a Harris plate to back it up). A quick call to GrovTec and they had 2 complete sets of wood screw and machine screw studs, 1" swivels, and 1-1/4" swivels in the mail to me. When I got the package 3 days later, they'd also included drill bits (one for wood screws, one for machine screws) and an installation tool (studs slide in, has a pin that locks into the swivel hole so you don't mar the finish with a wrench). I only paid for the studs and swivels!

Great folks to do business with, and they actually care about their customers. That's a trait that's becoming more and more rare.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Jeff do you use a tactical sling or just a standard sling? If you use a tactical sling you can mount the sling mount in the top hole of the steel buttplate. Also Midwest industries sells a nice QD Sling mount for the SR-22 that you can tap into your stock (front or back).
Thats a good idea using the top hole for the butt-plate as an attachment point.

On my Mini I just use a standard sling, I use it as a shooting sling when shooting offhand. Its in the wood stock 90% of the time. I have a tactical sling on my Choate folder, it has a side swivel above the pistol grip and 1 on the bottom of the grip and I have a QD side swivel for the gas block.

Since I got my AR's, my Colt is wearing a Specter three point sling my other AR has a standard two point. my AR's are stock pretty much, not anything hanging off them other then optics.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I always loved the walnut stock look on a Mini, although mine is the birch stained to look like walnut. Until I bought my SR-556 I had my Vikings tactics sling on my Mini and I plan to eventually buy another for my Mini. Since I refuse to put anything but a wood stock on my Mini I had to figure a way to mount the front and rear swivels to the wood stock. It works great and is an easy way to mount the rear swivel without drilling or modifying your stock.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yea, i like the wood stock way better but the Choate folder does have its uses if you need a really compact package. My Mini is a working rifle around the ranch, when its not in my jeep its in a rack on the quad or in a saddle scabbed on a horse.
The ranch has about 8000 acres of BLM land in three different areas and some privet land in Story County that the cattle graze on. Since I have it with me most all the time I guess you could say its my get home rifle.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The M14/M1A rear swivel mounts into a rectangular slot in the bottom of the stock. It is held in by the lower butt plate screw. That's not likely to work on a Mini-14.
That changes things a bit. Suppose I Dremelled out a slot in the stock to accept the M1A rear sling mount and re-drilled the bottom butt plate screw to secure it in place? The angle of the butt plate bottom screw is too steep to cross the path of the hole in the M1A sling mount, but I don't see why I couldn't drill a new hole starting at the original hole and cutting into the stock on the right angle to intercept the hole in the M1A sling mount?

P.S. Jeff, I'm stuck up here in the upper midwest. Riding 8000 acres in Nevada sounds pretty darn good right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.