Perfect Union banner

Mini 14 rear sight suggestions....

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pdog 
#1 ·
All, I'm new to the Mini 14 scene so please forgive the verbiage.

I just picked up my new 581 mini last week. Have not shot it yet but while looking through the rear sight and acquiring the front post the rear sight is very blurry. My eyes are not perfect and I do wear glasses. I think I could still shoot ok with the factory setup but was wondering if there are any other better options for rear sighting systems for the Mini? I forget what rifle I was looking at but I remember seen a rear sight that was a shallow "V" and post front. Any ideas? Thanks.

#2 ·
I wouldn't get too freaked out about a blurry rear sight, as long as you're able to center that front sight in the blurry aperture , and keep the front sight in focus.

If the rear sight is blurry, I woukd think it won't matter what sight you put on- they'll all be blurry. I was always taught "front sight focus," anyway. It recently dawned on me that my sight picture is not as clear as it used to be. My wife thinks its because I'm getting older, but I assured her that this cannot be the case.

I know there's a lot of guys that love the tech-sights. Maybe someone will chime in with how they compare with the stock rear sight.

Of course, it may be a good excuse for optics....:)

#4 ·
The above posters are correct, the rear aperature should be out of focus. The eye isn't capable of focusing on three things simultaneously. One also shouldn't shift their focus from one sight to the next to the target, I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the front sight should be the only thing in focus. The rear sight will be blurry (the eye will center the front blade in the aperature naturally) and the target should be slightly out of focus. As mentioned above, I've got the TechSights installed on mine and love them! If you're dead set on having a crisp sight picture you're gonna have to go the scope route.

#6 ·
I'll add a +1 for the Mini 14 rear Tech Sight too. I'll also add that after months of obsessing about it, I concluded that my 49 year old eyes just don't have the clarity of depth of field or whatever optic characteristic required to make small groups at 25 yards (much less 50 or 100 or 500 yards). I love the Garand heritage of the Tech Sight on my Mini 14, but it's the red dot that keeps my rounds on target.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info. Learned something new today. The Tech Sight, I just looked it up and have seen it before but didn't pay much attention to it. Is the only benefit the easier adjustment on the elevation and windage? You all seem to express that the $65 is worth the upgrade.

As for scopes, I have 4 other bolt rifles, all with Leupolds on them, so I want to "try" to stick with open sights on the Mini. My 9year old does have a Holo sight on his single shot .243 and it is nice to shoot with. That may be an option.

#8 ·
forgot to mention the interchangeable aperture. Both larger and smaller than stock is available to suit your needs. But yes for me the ease of adjustment was the big seller.
Really ticked me off when I went back to irons on my mini and went to the range without my allen wrench to adjust the fac. sight.
Another plus is that they keep the mini "handy" a scope for me made it top heavy and felt bulky.
As they say /said "different strokes for different folks"

#9 ·
a) Focus your eye on the front sight
b) Focus your mind on keeping the crystal clear front sight on the fuzzy target.

The tech sight is an awsome sight and well worth the price. I only have one issue with it. Adjusting elevation for come-ups can be cumbersome during prep period.

I switched to Williams.
guido

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.