Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased the Ranch rifle several months ago, and I love it. I was wanting to put a few new accessories on the rifle, and was looking for a little direction as to what exactly I needed. I don't want to order the wrong items. The serial number on the Ranch Rifle is "181-XXXXX". I am looking for a muzzle brake and something like a choate vented handguard. I also wish to mount a scope on it, so I would need some type of rail. I know this is a lot to ask of you people, but could some kind soul point me in the right direction with links to where I can purchase these items? I dont want to screw up and order the wrong thing. Many thanks to any of you who can offer to help.:huh:

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Does your mini have the scope mount slots on the receiver? If not the B-Square side mount will work, I have one on my mini. You also can get a scout rail that replaces the hand guard and mount a dot scope or shotgun scope in front of the receiver. Accu-strut is a good accessory for improving accuracy. Mo-Rod has a strut also and a very cool muzzle brake/site for minis. You can find tri rails that will allow you to mount accessories to the barrel to.

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Just purchased the Ranch rifle several months ago, and I love it. I was wanting to put a few new accessories on the rifle, and was looking for a little direction as to what exactly I needed. I don't want to order the wrong items. The serial number on the Ranch Rifle is "181-XXXXX". I am looking for a muzzle brake and something like a choate vented handguard. I also wish to mount a scope on it, so I would need some type of rail. I know this is a lot to ask of you people, but could some kind soul point me in the right direction with links to where I can purchase these items? I dont want to screw up and order the wrong thing. Many thanks to any of you who can offer to help.:huh:
Go here for a muzzle brake. Just choose the STRAIGHT option. Mo-Reaper Muzzle Break

Here is the link for a Choate Ventilated Handguard. Choate Ventilated Handguard Ruger Mini-14 Mini-30 Synthetic Black You may be able to find one on Ebay as well.

Ebay also has many scope mounts for Mini 14s. You will have to find the ones you like and do some research as to how reliable or trustworthy they are. I bought the Amega Ranges Mini 14 Scout rail... and I love it. Amega Ruger Mini 14 Mount
They are probably still out of stock, but like I said, Ebay usually has them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scope mount

While I really like the Amega Ruger Mini 14 Mount, it is kind of pricey. I have ordered the Choate Ventilated Handguard, a John Masen Ruger Muzzle Brake, and a Mo-Rod 4" Barrel Stabilizer. Has anyone had any experience with the UTG Mini-14 Weaver Style Mount With 1 -Inch Rings? Or another side mount type?

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
There is no such thing as a 181 ranch rifle. You have a"standard" model mini 14. If you are serious about a good optics mounting system, an Amega or similar handguard replacement rail system is the way to go. If you are not a good mechanic or amature gunsmith then you should probably pay a gunsmith to have it installed. It will give you the capability to have a forward mounted scope or dot optics system (scout type system). The rail also straps onto the barrel and acts like a heatsink and should improve the accuracy of your mini. Good luck on your project mini.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank all of you for the help you have offered. Very much appreciated! Now one more question, and I should be set. Does the 181 series shoot both the .223 and 5.56? or just .223? I am seeing both on various websites. I just tried calling Ruger, but the are closed today. Mine is stamped 223 cal. I know it should be common sense, but I would like to know for sure. Again, thank all of you for your informative replies.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
COBrien...you just made my day! Was not certain. I have a chance to buy 5 boxes of 5.56 at $23.00 a box. Thank you very much for the information.
Glad to hear it! But sad about $1.15 per round...

Unless that's $23.00 per 50-round box... That's only $0.46 per round. Which still makes me sad, but less so. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, all local gun stores around here in Charlotte, NC, they want about $30.00 a box of 20. Funny, I remember about a year ago I was paying $8.99 for a box of 20 .223 at Dicks Sporting Goods I get what I can. Still lookimg for #4 buckshot

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
Don't pay more than $1 per round. Make an account at GunBroker.com, search for .223, and then click the BuyNow option. You can find ammo usually at .50¢ a round or less.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent idea! I have done just that. Although I was able to get me hands on 12 boxes of .223 Remington at Dicks Sporting goods for 8.99 a box. I felt like King Midas sitting on a pile of gold.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
I can't find it on GB for less than .75/c a round.
Have you got an Academy Sports in your neck of the woods? They've been getting 5.56x45 in at least once a week (just missed out today darnit!) and prices have been 50-60 cents a pop. Its slowly increasing; 2 weeks ago I would have written 45-50 cents a pop but it has gone up a little. Limit one box to a customer though, so I'm having trouble getting more than 2-3 boxes a week at this rate. Did luck out and buy one box of .308 Federal Gold Medal Match 168GR OTM today though!

Best,
Grumpy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.