Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
They made them for counties that prohibited rifles chambered in military calibers.

other calibers
some early mini-14 rifles were chambered in the .222 remington cartridge. Since the .222 remington is not completely dimensionally equivalent to the 5.56x45mm, ruger chambered mini-14s for both 5.56 and .222 remington. Civilian firearms chambered in 5.56 are highly restricted in countries that restrict or prohibit firearms that chamber military cartridges (such as mexico). By chambering the mini-14 in the similar but not interchangeable .222 remington caliber, the mini-14 could be sold in those countries.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
A buddy of mine said he found a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .222... Ive never heard or seen one in that caliber... I figured Id ask on here...
Hi DBaker;

The Minis in triple deuce were made for the Mexican and French export markets IIRC. Whole idea was that some countries in the '70's would let you have a rifle (even a semi auto one, oooooohhh) but you couldn't have anything in a military caliber. Not that they were worried about "too dangerous for civvies to have", they were worried about "too tempting for the civvies to steal the army's ammo". Thus, in Mexico, the triple deuce and .38 Super were common whereas the .223 and .45 ACP were not (very bad to get caught in Mexico back then with a prohibited caliber gun).

Nice find. I haven't seen a triple deuce Mini in years. One nice thing is that you should at least be able to find ammo for it....

Best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He did end up getting it for $600... and got the only two boxes off ammo he could find in town... Ive never really looked for 222 cal. but theres hardly any around here. Thanks for the info guys...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.