Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a 182 series. Mini 14 through a trade.

New to the whole mini scene.

Is it okay to shoot steel ammo?
No flash surpressor, is that ok
Accuracy problems.
Any advice would be appreciated.... thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a newbie as well, but from my limited time in the Mini 14 world, my answers would be
1)some people are against running steel case through any rifle they own, others are not shy about doing it. I think the consensus is that .223 steel case is handled by the Mini better than it is in the AR
2)Yes, there are a good number of Mini's that have no muzzle device of any kind. It might help with accuracy, as apparently the weight of a flash suppressor/muzzle brake can reduce the effects of barrel whip that occurs as the barrel heats up.
3)The earlier models prior to the 580 series (and some of the earlier 580's) have a thinner barrel, and apparently as it heats up, the groups expand. There are various fixes for that, from barrel supports (like the Accu-strut) to cryo treament, barrel replacement, and in some peoples expert opinion, "buy an AR".

·
Registered
602 Posts
Steel ammo ok.
No FS is ok, for about 150 bucks a smith can move the front sight back and thread for one though.
Accuracy from what Ive seen its a solid 2-3 MOA gun.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm a newbie as well, but from my limited time in the Mini 14 world, my answers would be
1)some people are against running steel case through any rifle they own, others are not shy about doing it. I think the consensus is that .223 steel case is handled by the Mini better than it is in the AR
2)Yes, there are a good number of Mini's that have no muzzle device of any kind. It might help with accuracy, as apparently the weight of a flash suppressor/muzzle brake can reduce the effects of barrel whip that occurs as the barrel heats up.
3)The earlier models prior to the 580 series (and some of the earlier 580's) have a thinner barrel, and apparently as it heats up, the groups expand. There are various fixes for that, from barrel supports (like the Accu-strut) to cryo treament, barrel replacement, and in some peoples expert opinion, "buy an AR".
All true. I would refer you to the nutnfancy vids on youtube "mini-14 vs. the world" or "mini-14 arrival of the underdog" he pretty much shows that in a defensive appilcation the mini will hold its own. Begin Nutnfancy flames in 3...2...1... LOL

·
Registered
72 Posts
Go to Ruger Mini-14 Serial Number History to find out year made. For rate of twist from chart below. It will most likely be 1 in 10". So a 55gr bullet or less will most likely give you the best Accuracy. Although some have found that a 62gr works well.

TWIST RATE FOR MINI-14

1978-1985 = 1 in 10" (e.g., 181 series)
1986-1994 = 1 in 7"
1995-2004 = 1 in 9" (e.g., 197 series).
2005- = 1 in 9"

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
They are great rifles that are dependable as they can get. They did have accuracy issues. Skip the flash hider, keep it original and put an Accu Strut on it. You will be thrilled with the results. I would skip the steel ammo if you can but give it a try and find out. Yours may like it. Your barrel may wear out after 7 or 8 thousand rounds. If so send it back to Ruger and maybe they will put the heavier barrel on it. They are tough and ready for action.

They were built to compete for a military contract. They did not win but tens of thousands were sold to police departments all over the world. kwg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go to Ruger Mini-14 Serial Number History to find out year made. For rate of twist from chart below. It will most likely be 1 in 10". So a 55gr bullet or less will most likely give you the best Accuracy. Although some have found that a 62gr works well.

TWIST RATE FOR MINI-14

1978-1985 = 1 in 10" (e.g., 181 series)
1986-1994 = 1 in 7"
1995-2004 = 1 in 9" (e.g., 197 series).
2005- = 1 in 9"
Thank you. That helps. opinion on steell ammo

·
USMC 75-79
11 Posts
I just traded for a 183 series but have been loading my own AR ammo for a long time. My AR shot good with factory, my mini shoots good with factory.
AR is a tack driver with my own loads. my mini is well under 2moa with my ammo.
The Mini has shot everything I could put through it in the last couple of weeks, so I figure they lead the way for AR's, so they will eat anything I feed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.