Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early (pre-ranch rifle) Mini 14 that is impossible for me to shoot. The rear sight is so low that I have to force my cheek bone onto the stock to see through the peep sight. I tried a B-Square mount but the threads of the side plate stripped out after only 10 rounds. Does anyone know of some other rear sight or accessory that can be installed to make the sight usable?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Williams makes two different rear sights for the Mini-14...

Williams WGRS-Mini-14/30 Guide Receiver Peep Sight Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and Mini-30 Aluminum Black - MidwayUSA

Williams FP-11/87 Receiver Peep Sight Remington 870,1100,11-87, Browning BPS, Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Aluminum Black - MidwayUSA

You might also consider removing the B-Square rail (or have them send you a new cover plate). For my last setup, I went with Warne Quick-Detach rings so I could mount my optic at a comfortable height, and then quickly remove the rings/optic as a single unit to use the iron sights (Mo-Reaper front sight). After remount of the rings/optic, it held zero pretty well...

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.co...Blackhawk-Mini-14-Rings-1in-Medium-Matte-1RLM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at those but since they were designated for ranch rifle wasn't sure they would work. B-Square offered them for both ranch rifle and the early model like the one I have. I couldn't find that difference with other set-ups. I saw a comment on Midway-USA about using an XS ghost ring but their site didn't have one for the early model Minis.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have an early (pre-ranch rifle) Mini 14 that is impossible for me to shoot. The rear sight is so low that I have to force my cheek bone onto the stock to see through the peep sight. I tried a B-Square mount but the threads of the side plate stripped out after only 10 rounds. Does anyone know of some other rear sight or accessory that can be installed to make the sight usable?
If you install a rear sight that lets you raise your head up some, I suggest you obtain a matching front or you might be shooting at the moon.

·
i like the details
254 Posts
If you install a rear sight that lets you raise your head up some, I suggest you obtain a matching front or you might be shooting at the moon.
or combiine it with TAP's berger 90 gr VLDs and you can shoot 1K yd matches

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do what is necessary with front sight after resolving issue. Had an EOTech on the B-Square so didn't have any problem with the front sight. Too bad the mount didn't hold up under the mild recoil as I liked that set-up. One reason considered the XS was the front sight and rear sight comes as a set but only if you have the ranch rifle configuration.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I saw a comment on Midway-USA about using an XS ghost ring but their site didn't have one for the early model Minis.
I have a 186 series standard Mini-14 manufactured in 1999. I have the XS Ghost Ring rear sight / White Stripe front sight combo on it. It is available.

XS Sight Systems - Sights

Ruger Mini 14 Standard Rifle :

.140 GRA/.080 Wide Front ... $70
Tritium Stripe Front / .140 GRA ... $100

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Sticks. Mine is a 184 series that I bought new back then. Had it in the box forever and just broke it out to see how it worked. After trying to shoot it, I remembered why it was still in the box. Just too uncomfortable even under the mild recoil. I'll go with the XS and see how that works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts