Perfect Union banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi everyone I Am newto this thread but have used different threads for a while <_< anyway... I have been shooting firearms for 6 or 7 years, and of course like most I started with a .22 I think I was about nine, maybe ten when I was Given my first gun.

And well basicly every year I step it up more and more, and my collection (or if you want to troll and say I can't legallyhave any guns because im not 18 you are wrong, you can own guns, just not possess them, which i don't they are in a safe that my dad has the key/code for) has grown to a fair amount of firearms.

but there are Several things that I am missing and really want to get ahold of, 1.) a Mini 14, or a remington R1 1911.

what would you guys get, they are both great guns to my knowledge and both will have great uses for me ( I am really in to hunting and my current primary firearm i a remington 700 BDL in 30-06, and my secondary is well nothing, I have several .357/.38s that I coud use, but i just don), so the Mini 14 would be a good gun to replace my 700 (don't get me wrong that 700 amazing for deer and such.

For hogs i need a rifle that if i need quick follow up shots i can get them, and with th 700 you just can't) but the remington 1911 would be a great secondary firearm. im puzzled :blink: what do you guys think :sniper:

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
If your only rifle is the remington model 700, I would buy a mini-14

I have a remington 1911 R1, took it out shooting 2 weeks ago, and it gave me a stovepipe.

Overall, I am not happy with how the R1 is preforming.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You already have competent centerfire handguns available to you, so the 1911 doesn't fill any role other than having a 1911 (which everyone should eventually have). And, as Kevin already pointed out, there are better 1911 choices than the Remington.
The Mini-14 will be far more useful to you, especially since Winchester makes .223 loads specifically for hogs.

·
Registered
927 Posts
How about a Mini 30 instead. If you don't already have a .223 cal platform (AR ?) I'd think the .30 cal round would be better for pigs and such. I recently did ALL (and I mean ALL) the tricks (no strut) to a series 580 Mini 30 for a friend. He had a recently discharged Army Sniper from his church shoot it at the range. With good ammo, he was shooting 3 shot groups measuring <2" at 200 yds off bags. True, I didn't see the targets, but my guy is straight-up no BS type guy.

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
If you think you might want a Mini 30, read up on the issues with Russian ammo (hard primer can cause firing pin to break, and firing pin is not a "drop in" part). They are fine with Winchester 7.62x39 etc though. I opted for an SKS over a Mini 30. The SKS is heavier but cheaper and handles any kind of 7.62x39 ammo.

A Mini 14 of series 580 or later plus some factory magazines makes for a great multi-purpose rifle. If I could only keep one rifle, that would be the one (the AK is in some ways "better" but it's just too high profile for a lot of situations).

As for 1911s, I keep reading good reports about budget models manufactured in the Philippines. Don't have one yet, but want one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As for 1911s, I keep reading good reports about budget models manufactured in the Philippines.
I believe you're talking about the Rock Island Armory 1911's. I got to handle one the other day. For $400 it seems like a pretty solid gun. I too have read a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I would suggest going the Mini-14 route, as it appears you have a hunting use for it (and no other centerfire rifles at this point). It will work well on hogs.

Later on, get yourself a better 1911 (Ruger, Spartan, etc).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I got my Remington 1911 R1 in Janaury of 2012, lets just say I am not impressed with how well the pistol has performed.
Sounds like your Rem needs some tuning.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would suggest going the Mini-14 route, as it appears you have a hunting use for it (and no other centerfire rifles at this point). It will work well on hogs.

Later on, get yourself a better 1911 (Ruger, Spartan, etc).
No, I have many rifles I actually have several 700s to, I will get a picture of some my firearms and show you guys. and as proof they are actually mine, I will take a picture of them next to a piece of paper that says "outdoorworkshop" :wacko: thank you for the comment, and yes I am feeling like going with the mini 14. does the mini se AR mags? :blink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for the input, see some people say that the remington is an amazing value and that theres never has any failures and then there are people taht have tons of issues, so I guess its all about luck.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ah, too tired to read properly...LOL.

Nope, Mini's don't use AR mags. Different design.

I think Rem has some quality control issues with their production....they are not known for making handguns. :unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You already have competent centerfire handguns available to you, so the 1911 doesn't fill any role other than having a 1911 (which everyone should eventually have). And, as Kevin already pointed out, there are better 1911 choices than the Remington.
The Mini-14 will be far more useful to you, especially since Winchester makes .223 loads specifically for hogs.
I don't know about the 223 ammofr hogs, but for my 700 I use winchster silvertp. its awesome :D but not cheap in stores :angry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah, too tired to read properly...LOL.

Nope, Mini's don't use AR mags. Different design.

I think Rem has some quality control issues with their production....they are not known for making handguns. :unsure:
thank you for your input, I haven't researched the mini 14 to much so I didn't know, but thank you for commenting. If it was something related to remington I WOULD KNOW, I <3 REMINGTON... I just wish they made there 1911s better ( I can't say they are bad, but I haven't fired one so I can't say they are good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I have made my mind

I think I am going to go with the ruger mini 14, but please don't let that stop you from commenting because I don't mind chatting. I have decided to go with the ruger because I don't have A sufficent enough secondary firearm. what I mean by that is right now I am using a rifle that has over a thousand dollars in it and it was used 30 plus years by my grandfather and when he passed away it was given to me so if hogs or for some crazy reason if some messed up coyotes charged me, and I had my 700... Im more likely to draw my revolver and fire away than I am to climb a tree (the normal resort when hogs in large groups charge, which has only happened once to me but many times to my brother who has been hunting hogs before he was 10) because I don' want to risk messing up my rifle.... the point is I don't want to use my good rifle for such a risky task, and it may not seem risky, but around here (im speeching from my brothers words, if you get between a baby and a herd/pack/group of hogs which this can and will if you hunt often happen.... that moher won't stop till she drops) Now i can't swear under oath that any of that is true, its what my brother has taught me and I know they can be dangerous so I want a rifle with more firepower and quicker shots. 30 round mags and I would much more like my chances and having such weaponary would allow me to hunt in much better spots, (with the 700 Im over 300 yards from the beganing of the field that i hunt them in and im around 500 yards from the end of it where the tree line begans so if i had a mini 14 I could finally use my tree stand on the tree line. thank you everyone for your input and be sure to check out my other threads. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts