Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, guys this question came up between me and a few buddies, and don;t worry, and am i in no way a fan of the AK47, i have a 580 thin barrel with a 5" small Socom Strut, but when I installed the strut. i ordered an extra clamp, and mounted it tuching the gas block just like the big acustruts, for a little extra heat sink. We were talking and it came up, that my mini 14. If heated up really good might open up shots, spraying them every where but where I aim, which I have not got the chance to heat it up real good. But I argued that in a combat situation my mini would probebly be on par with the ak because I hear that the ak is only good up to about 50 to 75 yards, very inacurate and when in combat you would have to be at 50 yards or less to be able to hit what you were shooting at in simi automatic that it steady well placed shoots would probley be more efective with the mini 14. What do you guys think in that situation, in combat, do you think my mini would hold up and stile be just a efective as a AK

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Seems like the AK does about 6-8 inch groups at 100 yds. Your mini with the strut should be able to keep 'um under 4 inches with that strut. another issue is the cartridge. the 5.56/.223 flies alot straiter, giving you about 200 yds more effective range than an AK in 7.62x39. Yeah, the AK is reliable as hell, but in my experience so is the mini (I have been an owner for 30 yrs.) You can spend up to $2000 to get an accurate AK, but then again its going to be a foriegn caliber cartridge. The 5.56/.223 IMHO tips the scale in favor of the mini. Also, current mini's are made to easily take optics, most AK's are not, although that is changing. Lastly, I want to support jobs in the Good Old USA. Ruger provides those jobs for Americans. My 2c

·
Registered
34,558 Posts
A Mini 14 w/ factory magazines is very reliable, which is also the "AK's" main selling point.

The Mini 14 can be considered a compromise between the advantages and disadvantages of an "AK" and AR. Not as accurate (usually) as the AR, not as reliable (sometimes) as the "AK." One must also take into account that most of what are sold as "AK's" in the US are not factory spec. The non-factory-original parts often result in less than 100% reliability, though in most cases problems can be corrected.

One advantage an "AK" has for some uses is its caliber, and choosing a Mini 30 for that reason has proven troublesome for some. There are threads about it. Search "Mini 30 firing pin Russian ammo" for more than enough info to give you pause if you're thinking about a Mini 30 plus the less expensive Russian ammo option. Better to go with an "AK" or SKS if Russian ammo is on the menu, IMO. The Mini 14 doesn't seem to have this problem, or the Russian .223 doesn't cause it, depending on how one looks at it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If we are talking about "combat accuracy" and "combat effectiveness" there is not a whole lot of difference between the Mini-14 and your average AK47, in my opinion. No question the Mini has a edge on accuracy, even more so with a strut.

One thing you are failing to realize is there are lots of models of AK47s from very low end cheap crap to high end like Arsenal. Higher end AKs would unquestionable be comparable to Mini-14s.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would grab my 581 mini over my yugo ak if zombies came.

Both are reliable, the mini shoots under 2 inches in my scout scope set up whereas the yugo accuracy is way less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok here you go .... my brother has an sks 7.62x39 and i have a mini 14 .... here is what they will do to a can of corn @ 100 yards !!!1 the one on the left is the sks... the one on the right my mini ,,,, sooo you decide !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey all, guys this question came up between me and a few buddies, and don;t worry, and am i in no way a fan of the AK47, i have a 580 thin barrel with a 5" small Socom Strut, but when I installed the strut. i ordered an extra clamp, and mounted it tuching the gas block just like the big acustruts, for a little extra heat sink. We were talking and it came up, that my mini 14. If heated up really good might open up shots, spraying them every where but where I aim, which I have not got the chance to heat it up real good. But I argued that in a combat situation my mini would probebly be on par with the ak because I hear that the ak is only good up to about 50 to 75 yards, very inacurate and when in combat you would have to be at 50 yards or less to be able to hit what you were shooting at in simi automatic that it steady well placed shoots would probley be more efective with the mini 14. What do you guys think in that situation, in combat, do you think my mini would hold up and stile be just a efective as a AK
Did whoever told you that have brown eyes? Because they're definitely full of crap.

A 7.62x39mm AK is good up to about 350-400 yards against man-sized targets with a proficient shooter (IE not some third-world ****bird) before it's got so much drop to it that it's not practical to shoot at things anymore. If you've got a longer-barreled AK, like a AES-10 or M72 RPK, you can stretch that out to about 550 yards.

A 5.45x39mm AK is good out to about 500-600 yards, I'd say. About what you'd expect out of a decent M-4.

And a 5.56x45mm AK is about the same as the 5.45, as the two cartridges are pretty similar in terms of effective range.

Given the groups my Mini has printed so far, it's good for man-sized targets out to about 5-600 too, although I lack a range that long around here to really put it to the test.

With a proper optic even a novice shooter should be able to engage man-sized targets at 300+ yards, with any of those rifles.

What you really gain going with an AK-pattern rifle over a Mini, is commonality of parts. Magazines, sights, small parts, even furniture (for the most part; you can't just drop an underfolder stock on a fixed stock AK, after all) all swap out. That and there's a hell of a lot more AK pattern rifles floating around compared to Minis.

That said, I'd still grab my Mini over an AK, unless I knew for a fact I'd be fighting in a close environment and really needed the extra barrier penetration the 7.62x39mm affords you. It shoots flatter (than the 7.62, anyways), has WAY better iron sights, and doesn't make that distinctive "AK" sound.

Either way, it don't matter much what you brought to the fight. Every one of those rifles will kill someone dead. What matters is that when everything goes down the tubes, that you know how to run what you got.

·
Registered
405 Posts
AK only good to 75 yards? LMFAO

With open sights, hits are EASY out to 200 yards and very doable at 300 with a little practice.

I love my mini-14, but I have to be terribly honest, if I had started with an AK I would have never bought mine. My mini needs special ammo, optics, and the accustrut to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards. My AK gets 2.5" with cheap surplus ammo and a 4x scope.

The mini-14 is a great rifle, but imo, it is NOT more accurate than a half decent AK.

I think the Mini-14 is a great rifle. I would take mine over the M16s and ARs I've used any day... But from my experience the AK platform is an absolutely superior battle rifle. With good ammo I have little doubt my AK could out shoot or at least match my mini for accuracy. Both are incredibly reliable, but I have no doubt the AK is more so. My mini build was roughly $800 before magazines, my AK was $500 at it came with NY safe pre-bans. The AK is better suited for close quarters, and the mini holds no advantage at range. And lastly, the AK shoots WHATEVER you feed it and it hits much harder than .223.

The mini-14's only advantages are it's gorgeous looks and low recoil. Dont get me wrong, I love the mini, but don't knock the AK until you try it.... If you have and you cant hit beyond 75 yards with a half decent AK, my only advice is to "suck less." (quote from nut'n'fancy)

·
Registered
338 Posts
We bang 6" steel plates at 225 yards consistently with a POSP 4x on our WASR 10/63 with Wolf ammo...
Inaccurate? I think not... that's under 3 MOA...

AK inaccuracy is a myth that somehow lives today.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I posted this...
I personally own 2 AKs, 1 AR and 1 Mini-14 and have shot the first two weapons extensively. I think you will be juuust fine with any of these choices TBPH. But here are some Pros and Cons the way I see them (Based on current models)…

Kalashnikov
Pros: Cost. Simple. Oversize Gas system and loose tolerances means it has a better baseline reliability then most weapons. Possibly the easiest weapon on the planet to maintain. Cheaper ammo and mags then most rifles. Easy to fit a folding stock to. Almost all AK's have Chrome Barrels. Sinister Appearance.

Cons: Made overseas for the most part. Oversized gas system and loose tolerances means it has poorer baseline accuracy then most weapons. Poor iron sights add to the already mentioned accuracy problems. Weight, an AK in a tactical configuration will generally weigh more than a Mini or an AR in the same config. Increased recoil makes it harder to keep on target for follow up shots. "Rock in" mags. Can be difficult to add optics too. No bolt hold open. "So-So" ergos. Sinister Appearance.

AR-15
Pros: Made in the USA. Parts, every part for the AR is Spec'd the same and available from many places. Modular, it can be suited to fit any profile from plinking .22 long rifles at the range with a conversion kit, to Long Range Varminting, to a Defensive Carbine. Easy to re-barrel. DI gas system and tight tolerances assist in great to amazing baseline accuracy. Mags are light an inexpensive. Ergonomics, the AR has some of the most intuitive ergos around. "Drop free/slap in" mags. Irons are nice and easily adjustable. Adding optics are a breeze with a Flat top… and really why wouldn't you get a flat top? Weight, a lightweight AR-15 can be had in the 6 lbs. range. Chrome Barrels are common and easy to install. Intimidating.

Cons: Cost, AR's typically cost more than a similar pattern rifle (Although this is somewhat offset by "rolling your own"). Tighter tolerances and the DI gas system make for a less forgiving weapon from a maintenance perspective. A more detailed field strip procedure (especially for the Bolt/Carrier assembly). Mags are cheaply made and deform easy. Cannot be fitted with an effective folder in the standard configuration. Irons are mounted high over the bore axis. Uppity AR owners are an odd bunch. Intimidating.

Mini-14 (580+ Series)
Pros: Made in the USA. Good Warranty. Cost (Mini's can be had a little cheaper than a similar pattern AR, but slightly more expensive than an AK). Gas system is large and robust requiring little, if any, maintenance. Loose tolerances and Garand Action give a higher than average baseline reliability. Basic, routine cleaning and oiling can be accomplished without breaking down the weapon. Easy to field strip. Easy to mount Optics. Irons are well made, have a long sight radius, and sit down low on the bore axis. Ruger Mags are sturdy and available everywhere. Can mount a folding stock. Most shooters will find the ergos are better than an AK, and a little less than an AR. Better accuracy then AK's in the same price category. Weight, a Mini tactical can be had in the 6 lbs. range. Can be had in a less intimidating "huntin' gun" guise.

Cons: Parts, spare parts can only be had from Ruger. Mags are expensive and heavy. Bolt can be tricky to put back into the rifle. Due to the large bolt carrier and loose tolerances it exhibits worse accuracy then AR's in its price category. ("Combat Accurate"). Barrels and chambers are not chrome lined. Sights are harder to adjust on the fly. "Rock in" mags.

The three rifles are all excellent choices based on your needs and comfort level; it is really up to the end user as to what fits He/She best. If your primary heavy hitting longarm is a M1 Garand or Springfield M1A, then this is a no brainer as your manual of arms will be the exact same as the Ruger (Mine is a MAS 49/56, and has similar manual of arms to the Mini, however I am contemplating getting a Springfield M1A). I would probably put the scale something like this. AR's represent the most accurate common defensive long arms around, Kalashnikovs are the most reliable, the Mini-14 exhibits the best of both worlds; but at the same time some of the worst.

You will notice I put "intimidating" in both the Pro and Con category, as that feature can be either depending on situation. That being said there is a part of me that would be just as happy with my Stainless Ruger Redhawk and my Marlin 1894SS, both in .44 Mag, then with any of my EBR's/High Cap Pistols for this very reason. It being a simple and rugged combo that has capabilities far beyond its humble cowboy appearance.

If you made it through this, I thank you, if not, I don't blame you.
YMMV rules apply.
...awhile back, I own all three and have a lot of experiance with the AR and AK (Building them, shooting them, cleaning them, testing them).

"Basic, routine cleaning and oiling can be accomplished without breaking down the weapon." < This is one of my favrite things about the mini TBH, at east for a survival gun.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think the AK 5.56 is just as good as a MINI 14, but I cant find them. they are all sold out.

All other rounds beside the 5.56 is total %&*! in my opinion. I really Like the way the 5.56 will rip a humanoid apart.

7.62x39 just goes right though, and the copy cat 5.45 is just not as good as the 5.56

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't Magog, 5.56 does a lot of damage, but so does 7.62x39. If you were limited to FMJ I would agree that 5.56 is better at close to mid ranges because it tumbles, but 7.62 hp's hit like a truck at any range. Then when you get into distance, cover penetration, or hunting potential the hat tip has to go to 7.62.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the AK 5.56 is just as good as a MINI 14, but I cant find them. they are all sold out.

All other rounds beside the 5.56 is total %&*! in my opinion. I really Like the way the 5.56 will rip a humanoid apart.

7.62x39 just goes right though, and the copy cat 5.45 is just not as good as the 5.56
Before I answer, I must first ask... Is this a real post?

·
Registered
34,558 Posts

Right. What were the Russians thinking? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Before I answer, I must first ask... Is this a real post?
Meh, he does make half a point. 5.56 leaves better ballistics gel cavities at close ranges with strictly FMJ rounds.

I still think 7.62x39 is a superior combat or survival round. It will kill a bad guy just fine whether they are in a t shirt, behind a barrier, or in armor. 5.56 is pretty much limited to the t shirt.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have both Mini 14 and AK 47, the accuarcy problem for the Ak is a little over stated, if in doubt the target should speak for itself (Rommy 10/63), my Mini does about the same at the same range 100 yd, both the Mini and the AK have a Bushnell 3X9X40. Now they are not as accurate as my AR, but then again my AR is nowhere near my Remington 700 Tactical in 308. If you have bullet tumble at close to mid range you got problems either with your ammo or your gun, you can't hit golfballs @ 300 yds if your bullets are going end over end with your AR, Mini, AK or Remington.

Attachments

·
large member
2,089 Posts
A Mini 14 w/ factory magazines is very reliable, which is also the "AK's" main selling point.

The Mini 14 can be considered a compromise between the advantages and disadvantages of an "AK" and AR. Not as accurate (usually) as the AR, not as reliable (sometimes) as the "AK." One must also take into account that most of what are sold as "AK's" in the US are not factory spec. The non-factory-original parts often result in less than 100% reliability, though in most cases problems can be corrected.

One advantage an "AK" has for some uses is its caliber, and choosing a Mini 30 for that reason has proven troublesome for some. There are threads about it. Search "Mini 30 firing pin Russian ammo" for more than enough info to give you pause if you're thinking about a Mini 30 plus the less expensive Russian ammo option. Better to go with an "AK" or SKS if Russian ammo is on the menu, IMO. The Mini 14 doesn't seem to have this problem, or the Russian .223 doesn't cause it, depending on how one looks at it.
good post, i think i would pick an AK over a mini 30 myself. it seems the mini 30 doesn't really shoot the ammo it is designed for.

i think of a mini 14 as the rifle "between" the AK & AR both in accuracy and price. not many autos hold up against the AK in realiabilty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Meh, he does make half a point. 5.56 leaves better ballistics gel cavities at close ranges with strictly FMJ rounds.

I still think 7.62x39 is a superior combat or survival round. It will kill a bad guy just fine whether they are in a t shirt, behind a barrier, or in armor. 5.56 is pretty much limited to the t shirt.
The whole "Humanoid" thing was just... kinda crazy. Anyways...

Both rounds have a place. If 'gog wants 5.56 performance from an AK platform then he should look no further than a '74 variant; the 5.45x39 has a similar profile to the 5.56 in ballistic gel.

That being said, the 7.62x39 has its place for a survival weapon for the EXACT reasons GDKPIKPWG stated. However, it is hard to beat an AR in this country for a defense weapon, commonality of parts, mags and ammo are all a huge reason. Mini's have the edge in a few areas of their own, and still share in the same pool of ammo though, plus there are tons of them out there as well.

However, something a dear friend of mine used to say always struck a cord&#8230;
"The AR-15 might be a better GUN then the Kalashnikov, but the AK is a better WEAPON.".

Really though, I don't think you can go wrong with ANY of them.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
The best weapon is the one your the most familar with weather a bolt gun, single shot or semi auto, whatever you shoot well will be the most deadly.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts