Perfect Union banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow.......I'm not rigid on most things, but I could NEVER ditch my rear sight.

The irons on my Mini are excellent sights and my last defense if something goes wrong with the more complex optic (whatever that may be).

I have my standard irons along with a 2x7 Burris with the original Ruger rings.

A riser is indeed needed because the stock is designed for the original standard sights--not a scope.
That would make sense if the sights were co-witnessed.

If your red dot goes down, you will have to stop and use a tool to remove it in order to see your irons correct?
Or would you run a QD mount which will raise your RDS another 1/4 an inch?

At that point I would rather rely on the etched reticle on a 1x power LPVO.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
First: I've been running this same TRS 25 for 12 years and it has never failed yet, and neither have any of the 5 other ones I have. Occasionally a battery dies, but I think I've replaced the battery once or twice in 12 years on that gun and once was because I left it turned on. I have spare batteries in my Range Bag which I have with me at every shoot and if I was engaged in combat I'd have one in my pocket along with an Allen Wrench so I could remove the sight if it failed during a fire fight in Combat. (Which is highly unlikely that either the sight quit or I was in a Real Fire Fight!)

You've got to set up your equipment for what it is that you are going to do most with it. Not setting up for every possible scenario, and especially when those scenarios are so unlikely that the odds are so remote, they effectively can never happen.

Above I stated I can hit a man Sized Target every single time off a rest at 200 yards, and 8/10 at 300. I have stated this on this forum and other forums many times, and I can prove it at will. What Possible Scenario could I encounter that would warrant a change in my thinking on what Optic to run or how to set it up? And realistically,,, what scenario would anyone here run into in the "Real World" that would change anything?"

I know you want to be prepared for anything. But really,,, is "anything" ever going to happen to you? Sometimes Common Sense gets in the way of the best laid plans of men.

Randy

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,328 Posts
That would make sense if the sights were co-witnessed.

If your red dot goes down, you will have to stop and use a tool to remove it in order to see your irons correct?
Or would you run a QD mount which will raise your RDS another 1/4 an inch?

At that point I would rather rely on the etched reticle on a 1x power LPVO.
What I said makes perfect sense and has nothing to do with the sights being co-witnessed.

The irons are a backup and since they are already sighted in they are ready in case they are needed.

As I said, I have a scope.

It needs no battery and is tough and reliable.

But should I need to remove it I can do it in a few seconds with the two screws of the Ruger rings. The only tool I'd need would be the screw driver on my Swiss Army knife.

The issue I brought up is the need for a backup in case the optic is damaged or otherwise unusable.

So if you have another backup (your LPVO whatever that is?) you're already ok.

If you have no backup and your optic is damaged and/or unusable then you're screwed.

My input here is that keeping a set of irons on your rifle as backup is just the wise thing to do.

"One is none and two is one." Remember?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Like I said above all my guns have Iron Sights available. I would never field a gun with only an optic anywhere but on a Range that is close to home, and I'd probably have another gun with my just in case that one cacked.

I am primarily an Iron Sight Shooter . I have a Mauser .22 made in 1929. It has some of the best iron sights I have ever seen on any gun. I bought it in 1968. In 1978 I installed a Weaver K4 with an Anschutz mount on the gun. The mount repeats perfectly and the scope has been on and off that gun literally hundreds of times over the last 50 years. It was sighted in in 1978 and has never moved.

I shoot the gun primarily with the iron sights and posted my best Rimfire Silhouette Score of 31/40 with it. However this weekend I will be shooting Half Size RF Targets at 150,200 meters with the scope installed. Note the zero on that scope has never changed, but even if it had I still have iron sights calibrated from 30 to 200 meters on the gun. So even if I dropped the scope I'd still have excellent sights.

Point is,,, You kind of need both. They don't have to co-witness as long as you can remove the optic, but it is a nice feature to have anyway.

Randy

Reactions: sandog and Logos

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,328 Posts
Like I said above all my guns have Iron Sights available. I would never field a gun with only an optic anywhere but on a Range that is close to home, and I'd probably have another gun with my just in case that one cacked.

I am primarily an Iron Sight Shooter . I have a Mauser .22 made in 1929. It has some of the best iron sights I have ever seen on any gun. I bought it in 1968. In 1978 I installed a Weaver K4 with an Anschutz mount on the gun. The mount repeats perfectly and the scope has been on and off that gun literally hundreds of times over the last 50 years. It was sighted in in 1978 and has never moved.

View attachment 64775

I shoot the gun primarily with the iron sights and posted my best Rimfire Silhouette Score of 31/40 with it. However this weekend I will be shooting Half Size RF Targets at 150,200 meters with the scope installed. Note the zero on that scope has never changed, but even if it had I still have iron sights calibrated from 30 to 200 meters on the gun. So even if I dropped the scope I'd still have excellent sights.

View attachment 64776

Point is,,, You kind of need both. They don't have to co-witness as long as you can remove the optic, but it is a nice feature to have anyway.

Randy
My dad had that same model Mauser .22 for a while in the 1950s when I was about ten years old.

It was the most dead-certain accurate .22 I have ever seen. He traded guns a lot and it was not long before somebody made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I sure wish he'd kept it and I had inherited it.

Never forget those incredible sights.

You are a lucky guy to have it!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It is my most prized possession.

Randy

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
394 Posts
I installed a Vortex Strikefire on my 188 series Ranch rifle years ago. Never had a reason to change.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts