Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a new owner of a 584 series mini 14 ranch rifle and new to the forum. I'm looking into optics, and I think I've decided on using scope rings to mount over the receiver as opposed to a scout setup with an ultimak rail. I have a mild astigmatism, so one option I was looking into was the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x24 (expensive I know, but I like the idea of the fiber optic prism sights and if it works well then I'm willing to cough up the dough). Does anyone have experience using this on their Mini? If so did you use medium or high scope rings, and did you have any problems with ejecting brass hitting the scope? I have the Tech Sights rear sight installed which is a little higher than the stock one, will the scope fit over it?

I'm going to be getting a new contact prescription soon that should help with the astigmatism and my view of red dots. If it does work out I was also looking into the Aimpoint 9000SC. Same questions for this optic, if anyone has experience with it.

It looks like just about everyone recommends Warne QD rings, so I was planning on going with those one I decided on an optic. I saw some older threads from several years ago of members here mentioning using these optics, but I didn't want to revive the ancient threads to ask my questions. Thank you!

·
Formerly "raf"
2,777 Posts
Getting your eyeglasses up to date will make a significant difference, no matter what optic you choose.

Typical Red Dot Sights (RDS) often have some issues with users having astigmatism; some users more than others.

The typical scopes not nearly so much. More advanced prism optics might be of interest, as such are indifferent to astigmatism, while offering some magnification.

Warne rings are well-regarded. Personally, I prefer Leupold QRW rings, but YMMV.

Many different "takes" on optics, so stick around, and ask questions. We are here to help. I would suggest doing your homework, and NEVER cheap out on optics. The Mini does not need long-range optics, but can always benefit from good optics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have
Accuracy Systems 5.625" Scope Rail
Leupold Permanent Release Weaver Style 1-inch, Medium, Matte Rings
Sig Sauer Whiskey3 4-12x40mm SFP 0.25 MOA (1" Tube) Quadplex Reticle

gl

·
Formerly "raf"
2,777 Posts
I have
Accuracy Systems 5.625" Scope Rail
Leupold Permanent Release Weaver Style 1-inch, Medium, Matte Rings
Sig Sauer Whiskey3 4-12x40mm SFP 0.25 MOA (1" Tube) Quadplex Reticle

gl
Have just begun to experiment with Prism optic bought from Primary Arms. This may be a required change-over on my FAL due to likely RI firearms being enacted in the near future. Requires re-configuration of the receiver cover on my FAL to replace existing full-rail receiver cover (with full length scope) with a different, much shorter receiver cover with a stripper clip guide, hence the much shorter Prism optic. Mini is similar; all these platforms require a "permanently-installed" magazine, although reversible top cover (FAL) and a stripper clip guide with Ultimak forward scope mount (Mini) allow such. All rifles also require some means of retaining the 10-rd mag in place, without "dis-assembly" of the firearm. Easily done.

Thanks to pioneers in CA,NJ,MA,CT,NY such devices can be had, often cheaply, depending on the platform. While still fighting hard against the Antis, there are some fairly decent work-arounds, worst come to worst. Having a "Plan B" is always useful.

Regret posting about this, and hope such RI Laws are not enacted. That said, I can continue to shoot full-feature M1A, FAL, and Mini, with suitable, reversible alterations, even if proposed RI Laws are enacted.

M1A, FAL, and Mini will be top-fed via stripper clips, much like an SKS. I've bought loads of appropriate stripper clips over the years. Bought many 10-rd, reliable mags.

I fully understand that this is an "interim" measure, as the Antis will seek, eventually, to ban all firearms, beginning with semi-auto firearms.

Well, I, and others will fight against them.

In the meantime, I'll keep shooting my LEGAL and easily reversible semi-auto firearms.

All the above said, the Antis will be coming for your State! Picking off low-hanging fruit like RI just whets their appetite. Be forewarned, and get organized before it's too late. The Antis have loads of $$$ to spend against us. Money is the "mother's milk of politics".

Get organized before it's too late! The Antis are really coming for you!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I use a 5 inch rail over the receiver and I have mounted a 1" 2-7 Nikon. I also use the medium rings. I may at some point get an illuminated dot scope but to keep it compact I will keep it in 1" if possible. With the medium Ruger rings mounted on the factory scallops I had to remove my rear sight to get the scope to fit down to the bottom of the rings otherwise the scope rested on the rear sight creating sighting in problems. With the rail it raised the scope just enough to clear the rear sight and I could put the rear sight back on.

kwg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Updating your glasses will make a big difference, no matter which optics you choose. I have a lot of different guns in my house. Every month I buy something new for my mini arsenal. Recently found an exciting website ballachy.com and now I want to buy a tripod. I would like to ask you what the best tripod is for you? I don't trust salespeople in stores because they are always trying to sell more expensive products. If you have pictures of your tripods I would love to see them and get a description from you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Updating your glasses will make a big difference, no matter which optics you choose. I have a lot of different guns in my house. Every month I buy something new for my mini arsenal. Recently found an exciting website ballachy.com and now I want to buy a tripod. I would like to ask you what the best tripod is for you? I don't trust salespeople in stores because they are always trying to sell more expensive products. If you have pictures of your tripods I would love to see them and get a description from you.
Don I have two a Primos plus I added a Triclawps removable mount for my rifle, it is light and easy to carry in the field, not really heavy and has some flex in the legs. I bought it from Bass Pro. Then I bought a Kpfjager(spelling is correct as I checked)which is really the a tripod I like as it is heavy(too heavy to carry around in the field), and sturdy as hell. Don't have any specs on it as I got it from the gun shop 8 mos ago. Nice and heavy and fully adjustable with a clamp for a rifle. You need to touch and feel to get a idea in the difference. Camera tripods are mostly too light and flex too much. JMHO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an AT3 tactical RD50 on mine and I love it. Had it for several years and it maintains zero just fine. It’s inexpensive but gets good reviews on YouTube. 50,000 hours on lowest setting w/2032 battery. Worth a look.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,777 Posts
OP (and others) are wise in getting their eyes (and eyewear) checked before going to the Range. I had to later refine some sighting- in done using out-of-date eyewear. I found that the dreaded astigmatism had begun to affect my eyes, so I broadened my optics considerations to include prism-type optics, which are apparently not much affected by astigmatism.

A solid house is always built on a good foundation. Having your eyes checked, and using suitable eyewear is exactly the sort of foundation required for good, safe shooting. When choosing the type of material used in the lenses, I suggest choosing a type that is highly impact-resistant, at least for shooting glasses.

Some useful info: How to Choose the Best Lenses for Your Glasses

What I did, many years ago, was to buy a number of identical high-quality eyeglass frames. I had a new set of lenses made for one set of frames, and a set of sunglass lenses made for another set of frames. As time went by, i bought new lenses for the "vacant" frames, and rotated the out-of-date glasses to back-up status. Now, since the frames are all "filled", I select the worst set of frames/lenses for new replacement lenses, and consign the formerly worn pair to backup status, I save the old lenses, and since they will fit all of the frames, I have many possible backups. At thus point, my vision is so bad that not wearing eyewear is not an option. YMMV.

·
Registered
396 Posts
years ago, I settled on the Ultimak rail and a Vortex Strikefire. I have not regretted the choice.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Primary Arms Microdot on the stock rail and a Redfield Revolution 2x7 with the stock rings using the Microdot on my 583 series right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a picture of my 584 series 14 with Accupoint TR25.
I've run it in some LE shooting courses and have had no issues at all.

I have the scope mounted in low Alaska Arms rings to get the best eye relief and ditched the rear sight. The Warne rings are higher than the med Ruger rings which I felt were still too high for me (chinweld).

It shoulders perfectly and feels very good in this configuration. The only downside the the weight of the scope versus a red dot.

I choose not to run an RDS on the mini as no quality-made sight is low enough to run co-witness irons so I don't see the point in running a single battery-operated optic that will leave me with no sighting options in case of electronic failure.

Edit to add: I have also not had any problems with brass hitting the scope but I also changed the gas port bushing to reduce the strength of ejection.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,777 Posts
You forgot to include the cheek-riser required by your scope's mounting.

No offense, but I, as well as many others, have tried to make conventionally-mounted scopes work on the Mini/M1/M1A/M-1 Carbine platforms.

Many users have transitioned to Scout Scope/Optics mounts, myself amongst them. Best damn optics platform for the Mini, bar none.

The Mini is a short-to middle range platform, and so is eminently suitable to a forward-mounted "Scout" optic. Long-range optic on most Minis is not required.

Said as a friend, who is trying to give you the benefit of hard-earned, costly mistakes in my past.

Your rifle, your money, and all best wishes to you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You forgot to include the cheek-riser required by your scope's mounting.

No offense, but I, as well as many others, have tried to make conventionally-mounted scopes work on the Mini/M1/M1A/M-1 Carbine platforms.

Many users have transitioned to Scout Scope/Optics mounts, myself amongst them. Best damn optics platform for the Mini, bar none.

The Mini is a short-to middle range platform, and so is eminently suitable to a forward-mounted "Scout" optic. Long-range optics on most Minis is not required.

Said as a friend, who is trying to give you the benefit of hard-earned, costly mistakes in my past.

Your rifle, your money, and all best wishes to you!
No riser needed, the scope line of sight is only maybe 1/8th of an inch higher than an AP micro on an Ultimak.
Maybe you prefer the scout, but my experience is the opposite: I started with a scout mounted RDS because I read many a post by forum know-it-alls saying that it "was the way"; yet I found that setup to be quite lacking. Magnification is not "required" but always nice to have.

The OP asked about mounting an accupoint on a mini which is precisely what I have done and am discussing.

No offense and with respect, I feel your post was made solely to criticize and not assist.

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,627 Posts

I have the scope mounted in low Alaska Arms rings to get the best eye relief and ditched the rear sight. The Warne rings are higher than the med Ruger rings which I felt were still too high for me (chinweld).

It shoulders perfectly and feels very good in this configuration. The only downside the the weight of the scope versus a red dot.

I choose not to run an RDS on the mini as no quality-made sight is low enough to run co-witness irons so I don't see the point in running a single battery-operated optic that will leave me with no sighting options in case of electronic failure.

Edit to add: I have also not had any problems with brass hitting the scope but I also changed the gas port bushing to reduce the strength of ejection.

Nice looking setup...

Reactions: sickeness

·
Formerly "raf"
2,777 Posts
No riser needed, the scope line of sight is only maybe 1/8th of an inch higher than an AP micro on an Ultimak.
Maybe you prefer the scout, but my experience is the opposite: I started with a scout mounted RDS because I read many a post by forum know-it-alls saying that it "was the way"; yet I found that setup to be quite lacking. Magnification is not "required" but always nice to have.

The OP asked about mounting an accupoint on a mini which is precisely what I have done and am discussing.

No offense and with respect, I feel your post was made solely to criticize and not assist.
No, my post was a sincere try to help you avoid optics-related problems I encountered in the past.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
As most of you already know I am a Red Dot kind of guy. This is because a scope makes these guns clunky to handle.

any .223 carbine is a 300 yard gun. I can hit a man sized target every single time at 200 yards with a Bushnell TRS 25 mounted on my gun. 8/10 at 300 yards. Had a 1-4X scope on it in the beginning and it just didn't handle well at all. Mounted the TRS 25 and never looked back.

As far as Eye problems, I wear glasses full time. Sometimes the dot looks round and sometimes it doesn't. This means nothing as all I am doing is putting the red spot somewhere on the target and pulling the trigger. not looking for pin point accuracy form this gun, and my gun is a <MOA gun with my loads.

I ask all of you,,, What is the intended use for this gun? Self Defense or Offense for that matter. Maybe Shoot a Deer for food. Is there any perceived use that demands perfect bullet placement that you couldn't deliver with a Red Dot style Sight? I have 4 .223 carbines all have TRS 25's on them. I also have one on my 10/22 and PCC.40 and can mount one on my Scout Rifle as well.

Tell me where I'm goin' wrong?

With these rifles "Speed of Target Acquisition" is senior to pin point shot placement. It is the nature of the gun.

I like mine alot!

Randy

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,750 Posts

Wow.......I'm not rigid on most things, but I could NEVER ditch my rear sight.

The irons on my Mini are excellent sights and my last defense if something goes wrong with the more complex optic (whatever that may be).

I have my standard irons along with a 2x7 Burris with the original Ruger rings.

A riser is indeed needed because the stock is designed for the original standard sights--not a scope.

This is a nice one, although there are many options.

I can use a red dot, although I prefer a scope because I feel I can see more and better.

But gosh........hang on to that rear sight. It could save your life if things go sideways with the optic.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
8,430 Posts

nice Mini, you're not concerned hitlery would disparage the 'evil black'?
I prefer the easily removed glass along with wiliams rear peep over red dot, but I can see as the dot may be a fast target acquisition benefit. Id grab my shotty for that if needed.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
All of my Carbines also have Iron sights as well as Red Dots, which were sighted in before the Dots were installed. This insures that you always have some sighting system available no matter what happens..

Randy

1 - 20 of 32 Posts