Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a new mini 14 for three days. The gun shop sent it back to Ruger for repairs, as most of the brass was being dented upon ejection. Factory repair to the bolt ejector did little to stop the denting. Is this typical for mini 14s? I was hoping to handload. I am new to autoloaders and am not sure what to expect. Please help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Mini will dent you're brass as will most autoloaders.
A smaller gas bushing will most likley lessen it, as the force ejecting the shell will be much less. There are a bunch of threads detailing this modification here in the Mini-14 forums.
As for handloading Ruger advises against it but from what I've read on this sight a lot of people do it with good results.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The size of dent varies wildy. Some are deep (several mm across), some only small circiular indentions and about 10% are unmarked. I would guess this is related to the variation in ejection direction. I am pleased to finally have an answer. Thanks guys. I do believe I will like it here.:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Ghost -
Check out our rants on "Slide Handle Markings"
The dents are caused by the hump on the op rod.
That's why there's usally brass marking on the hump.
:ar15:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been blessed with three sons and their eye sight is better then mine. Boy do they enjoy the Mini experience!:usa:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by Ghost
The size of dent varies wildy. Some are deep (several mm across), some only small circiular indentions and about 10% are unmarked. I would guess this is related to the variation in ejection direction. I am pleased to finally have an answer. Thanks guys. I do believe I will like it here.:D
That 10% is probably largely due to the fact that the last shell is ejected, and the op-rod is stopped by the bolt-stop, not allowing it to contact the shell as it flys away.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Ghost, the heavy dents you are talking about is normal for the mini using the standard ruger gas bushing. I installed a smaller gas bushing which greatly reduced the dents/ejection distance/recoil of the mini. I reload also. The small dents I only ocassionally get now do no harm at all. contact [email protected] (NW Shooters Support) for gas bushing kit. 3 different size bushings for $25. Or trigger job, and gas bushing kit, Combo price $50. Includes shipping to you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your reply Cajungeo. I will have to install new bushings. I hate to throw away so much brass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howdy,
Do you use a scope on your Mini14?
If so I can show you an easy way to make a brass catcher that might help.
But it sounds like your brass deformation is on extraction and not hitting your scope or sound wall.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Shoeshoe,
I currently do not use a scope, but I have a new one on my work bench. I have always used iron sights for hunting. I would be interested in your brass cather idea.:)
I will admit that I am somewhat reluctant to replace the gas bushings, but I can see that it would help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts