Perfect Union banner

Mini-14 Muzzle Brake Adapter at SHOT Show 2012

14K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  COBrien 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Ok, so if that collar is cheaper than getting the barrel threaded then I want one. But if not....

Anyway, setting price aside for a moment, I checked their website and I couldnt find any mention of the mini-14 adapter collar thingy.

I guess they could find time to make a nifty stand and mount several barrels on it, but they couldnt get their web monkey to update the website. <_<

#13 ·
Mounting Solutions Plus - bit off more than a Ruger can chew?

Thinking about
They replied and said, "It is taking longer than we expected to get this product going."
I wonder if the issue is precision of alignment of the bore? It is one thing for Ruger to pin on a collar that holds a blade sight above the muzzle/barrel. Tolerances can be sloppy as h@ll and, as long as the pin locks everything immovably, you can adjust the rear sight to get the rifle to shoot straight.

But...... if you have those same sloppy tolerances for pinning on a collar with a flash hider, muzzle brake or suppressor that a bullet has to travel through..... then you've got a problem. Even if the bullet doesn't have to rub along the bore of the hider/brake/suppressor (which it shouldn't), the ring-clearance between bullet and the inside diameter of the hider/brake/suppressor has to be perfectly symmetrical and have the same gap distance all around.

If the gap is not symmetrical, that would have the same effect on accuracy as taking a grinding wheel to one side of the crown of the muzzle. :(

#16 ·
Probably most of you already know that Ruger uses a threaded muzzle for their flash hider, on the Mini tactical models. This kinda supports my idea that a pinned collar may not cinch up concentric enough. Here's a drawing from the Tactical model supplement page:

Ruger Mini-30 and Mini-14 Tactical

SUPPLEMENTAL PARTS LIST

Key .. Part Name ................... Part No. .... Model

1 .... Flash Suppressor ................ MA13404 ..... M-30/20GCBCPC
............................................... MA13403 ..... M-I4/5GBCPC, M-14/20GBCPC, M-I4/20CF

2 .... Flash Suppressor Washer ..... NS00082 ..... M-30/20GCBCPC
............................................... NS00077 ..... M-I4/5GBCPC, M-14/20GBCPC, M-I4/20CF

3 .... Front Sight ........................ MS04425 ..... M-30/20GCBCPC
............................................... MS04416 ..... M-I4/5GBCPC, M-14/20GBCPC, M-I4/20CF

4 .... Barrel ................................ 0M8025 ...... M-30/20GCBCPC
................................................ 0M8022 ...... M-I4/5GBCPC, M-14/20GBCPC, M-I4/20CF

#18 · (Edited)
I looks like Brobee's idea for a pinned collar to mount a M14 sight is starting to hit the market. (but unfortunately not by him) This appears to be an elegant and easy solution for changing the OEM front sight and adding muzzle attachments to the mini.

As others have noted, I too have reservations about the muzzle attachment being concentric with the bore. An alignment tool similar to the one used for M14 flash supressor might be helpful.
Guido

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.