Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inhereted a model 182, front sight was removed for some reason. I order one from Ruger, they sent a single blade one that does not go pass the flash supressor threads. I believe the original front sight was a winged one and attaches half way down the barrel, that is where the retention pin notch is located. I e-mailed Ruger and they stated that kind of sight is not made anymore, they recommended Brownells or Midway, no dice. Any suggestions.

· Registered
298 Posts
That is exactly what mine looks like the single blade does not fit past threads, where the original goes the barrel is thicker outside diameter. But I can't find one that fits.
I'm taking a guess here...I think this is the sight you need. Going to be very hard to find. Even if Ruger did still have them in stock. You'd have to send the rifle back to Ruger for installation. They do pop up on eBay from time to time.

Attachments

· Registered
2,540 Posts
Just for further clarification, your Mini is a 'GB' (Government Barrel) model. While not 'rare,' per se, they are harder to find than a 'standard' Mini or Ranch Rifle. And parts are even more difficult to scrounge up.

I do wonder, though, if a 580-up winged front sight would fit... Wouldn't have the bayonet lug underneath, but it'd at least be a sight that's similar to the GB.

EDIT: You might try to contact John "GunDoc" Baker from Great West Gunsmithing or Lee Hadaway at The Arms Room. They do some great work with Minis, and may happen to have a spare GB-style front sight lying around. If they don't they should be able to at least point you in the right direction. ;)

· Registered
298 Posts
Just for further clarification, your Mini is a 'GB' (Government Barrel) model. While not 'rare,' per se, they are harder to find than a 'standard' Mini or Ranch Rifle. And parts are even more difficult to scrounge up.

I do wonder, though, if a 580-up winged front sight would fit... Wouldn't have the bayonet lug underneath, but it'd at least be a sight that's similar to the GB.

EDIT: You might try to contact John "GunDoc" Baker from Great West Gunsmithing or Lee Hadaway at The Arms Room. They do some great work with Minis, and may happen to have a spare GB-style front sight lying around. If they don't they should be able to at least point you in the right direction. ;)
I think it might to. Thunbs up for GunDoc. And another thumbs for The Arms Room. Chances are slim but, well worth the shot. Keep a close watch on eBay. I see the old style pop up on barrels most of the time and have seen em sell as hghi as $150. Seems spendy but, if you can't buy the part retail or from the factory, $150 doesn't seem too bad. Still stings a little though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.