Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this has been posted before, I apologize; I'm new to the board.
It's so simple, someone has to have thought of it before me.

Tired of the too-large 1 1/2 MOA adjustments on your Mini, but don't want to spend the $$ for an aftermarket 1/2-1/4 MOA target sight?
Here's the fix:

Dismantle the rear sight. Note that the elevation and windage screw heads have 4 semi-circular notches.
Affix the screw in a vise. With a dremel tool and a cutting wheel, cut out 4 new notches in between the 4 old ones. The cutting wheel will not only cut, but can be used to widen the new notches. Be careful, cut slowly, and check that the detent fits properly in each new notch. Your sight adjustment screws should now have 8 identical and equally spaced adjustment notches.
Re-finish as desired, re-assemble, and sight-in.
That's all. Your new sight now has 3/4 MOA adjustments. If you bed the mini action into a synthetic stock, the improved sights will come in handy.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey raf. Thanks for the tip. Now how about something for us ranchers with the lil flip up, hard to adjust rear sights? The best we have come up with is replace it with a williams.

BTW, I have read every post since day one. Your tip on this sight mod is the first.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I don't have a ranch rifle handy for measurement, but if IIRC, I have heard that M1 Carbine rear sights can be adapted.
Not sure of this though, so don't take it as gospel.
Of course, the elevation graduations would be considerably off, as well as the corresponding detents.
Not an ideal fix at all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Guys that complain about the Mini-14 Ranch rear sight should have to try and hit something with those tiny sights that come on most Mausers.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally posted by cajungeo
Hey raf. Thanks for the tip. Now how about something for us ranchers with the lil flip up, hard to adjust rear sights? The best we have come up with is replace it with a williams.

BTW, I have read every post since day one. Your tip on this sight mod is the first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts