Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ruger mags are the best , but I've heard from some people ( I believe on this forum ) that with a little TLC , you can get some of the aftermarket ones to function pretty well. I also heard that Ruger is starting to ship some mags again from ShopRuger. In response to your original question- which mags to buy-these days, ANY YOU CAN FIND!!! Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would contact Ruger and at least get them backordered. I think they are back ordering now, and I don't think they are raping us on the prices.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Yeah I'm looking for mags that I don't have to fix before I use them for the first time. I know rugers are good, just wanting to know what other options I have.
Promag 20's are okay (never had a jammer, and I do have 21 of the things on hand) but sometimes you get one that won't lock back the bolt on the last shot. No fixing really required, but if it bugs you, you can trim a little plastic on the follower so that the "arm" that engages the bolt hold open goes up farther into the mag well after the last shot. Haven't tried using a Ruger factory follower in a promag, but I had planned to pick up a couple and experiment before the craziness hit.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Ruger magazines are by far the best but I have some promag metal 20rd mags that work just as good as the ruger magazines do.

All the ruger mags Ive ever bought worked fine. Not all the promag magazines did.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Factory magazines and I have had great experience since 1987 with Thermold magazines for the Mini-14. I own 12 of them now, all 30 rd'ers. Never a problem with them and the more I used them, the better the got.

From what I have read, the new Thermold's work just as well. I've seen on one website that they are taking orders and expect to ship in a couple of weeks. Tapco has completed the Gen III magazines. Was told those would be hitting the retailers in the next few weeks too.

Best bet though right now. Put an order in with Ruger. It may take a little while to get them, but you will. And if you order them now. You'll beat any possible ban that might take place.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Bite the bullet, so to speak, and buy Ruger 20s. You won't regret it. I bought a couple others and returned them all. That was before Firearmageddon when magazines were plentiful of course.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a few old LEO marked ruger 20s and several promag 20s. Of course the rugers are flawless. Some of the promags didnt lock back the bolt reliably, further inspection showed two different follower/spring set ups, one which always locked back the bolt has the follower riding the spring by a single "hook", the others had a full loop of the spring contacting the bottom of the follower. I ajusted the springs to contact the follower thru "hook" at the top of the spring and problem solved!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tapco just came out with Mini-14 Gen III mags that - hopefully! - work great in any Mini. I'm sending back my Gen II for a warranty exchange.

I run PMI/National Magazine, and Thermold 30-round mags in my Minis. Both work well after a couple of very minor tweaks. Have a few CDNN green follower 20 and 30 rounders - excellent! Also run the always reliable Ruger factory mags.

Bottom line is use whatever you can get your hands on these days!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
mag price has came down a bit now, guns/ammo availability is improving, you probably want to wait a little longer and get the Ruger factory.

The current gunbroker price is already as high as during the 94-04 ban, it is not gonna go much higher IF the new ban does take place.

·
ZORT member
993 Posts
I have pro mags and other mags. I have replaced the follower with a Ruger follower. The springs have been replace with Wolff springs. Part of the reason that people complain about other than factory mags is the bolt not locking. The followers in the other mags won't hit the tang and lock up the bolt.

Get what you can afford. If aftermarket at least replace the follower.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.