Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was function testing a number of old 20 round Mini-14 mags (USA I think) and they all fail to lock the bolt open when inserted empty. The follower slips past the bolt hold open lever and stops the bolt which then slams shut when the mag is removed.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
716 Posts
So what you are saying, is that the follower itself is stopping the bolt from closing? The follower is supposed to push up on the bolt retainer lever inside the well.

The fix:
Is the follower going past the lever behind the bolt-catch lever (toward the stock) or in front of it (toward the muzzle)?

If its behind it, the bolt catch-tab on the follower may simply be too long. If so, maybe file it down a little at a time until it works. You don't actually need to fire the weapon to test this function.

If the catch-tab is in front of the lever, then you may possibly need to add something (built-up super glue) to the tab or maybe taper it the opposite direction such that it mates with the angle of the lever better. If you'll notice, the catch lever angles downward toward the front when in the locked position. On the factory Ruger clip, the follower tab is angled at this same angle.

Just my Dos Huevos

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Satan:

The follower is slipping past the bolt hold open lever to the right. The follower extension that is supposed to contact the bolt hold open lever looks smilar to the ruger style...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Is the follower itself rotating clockwise after that last round? or is the follower tab in the center of the follower? Is the bolt retainer lever worn away or otherwise shorter than it should be? Does it function fine with other magazines?

If you could superglue/sonic weld/screw something into the follower to extend it left, that may fix it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
don't go with super glue go to brownells and order ruger factory followers stock no. 780-000-816 for 2.85 each. hope it works ...later

1 - 6 of 6 Posts