Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have bought some magazines for my mini 14 but I have no .223 bullets to see if the magaines are the size that the seller told me they were.

I have a 40 rd & 30 rd & 20 rd, the magazines were sold to me within the last few days.

Question, on the side of the magazines it does not say what rd it is, whether it's a 30 or 40 rd?.

Is there any way of finding out if it's the size that the seller said it is? with out the buying of ammo at this time.

thank you

·
Registered
716 Posts
You could try going to a sporting good store and asking them if you could try loading .223 ammo in them. Generally, you can tell by their length what capacity they are. I've never seen them cleary marked as to caliber and capacity. Or, you could just buy 40 rounds for $8 and find out for sure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:rolleyes: thanks for your reply, yes I agree that the length of the magazine would give me a good idea of how many bullets that can be held within, the 20 rd is 125 millimeters long, this is from the bottom to the lip.

The 30 rd is 188 millimeters long.

The 40 rd is 228 millimeters long.

Would this help? will this give you a better idea of magazine size ( How many bullets held ? )

thank you

·
Registered
716 Posts
My 5 round std Ruger mag is 48mm long from lip to the plastic/metal joint.

My 30 rnd .223 mag is 180mm long (actually it holds 31 rnds).

Allowing for the follower and spring compressed, you can linearly estimate the length of the clip to be about 21.6mm + 5.28mm for each rnd.

From that, a 20 rnd mag would be about 127mm, and a 40 would be about 233mm.

My conclusion is that he sold you what he said. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) Thanks Satan2655

I know now, that the guy that sold me the magazines, is very honest person.

This is great.

Now I'm looking at the Recoil Buffer,
http://www.mini14world.com/accessorie.html

They say if I use the recoil buffer, that the life of my mini 14 will increase.
I think that the buffer will help in other areas too, my scope will not have that hard hit, when shooting.

I am trying to make my mini 14, to look different than the others, this is when I'm at the gun club, I think a barrel shroud will make it look a little different. I'm looking for more of a mean looking rifle.

I think that I will put a flash suppresser too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hehe
I do understand what you are saying, but I live in New Zealand & we can not import AK or AR Rifles.

We do have old AR & AK, but an old rifle become unreliable at best,
Parts are hard to get, well you can import them under the one to one, give the old part to the arms officer & you can get an import permit. The paperwork is massive ( Takes a long period of time )

I have been offered an AR-10 but I turned it down, because of this reason. ( To Old )

We use the rifles for 3 gun shoot, great club game.

I think that the Mini 14 new, ( without modification ) is very bad at best, but it's a great gun, easy gun to play around with, you can open the gun up & it's very simply to modify the parts ect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts