Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this before, as I never heard the term "jam" with a Mini-14 in all the reading I did before I bought one. I had the empty casing get caught between the bolt and the rear of the barrel a few times. I was told that was normal for the first 100 rounds. It actually hasn't happened for a while, however, at just around 220 rounds, I got the jam (stovepipe) in the photos below. I've experienced this in .22's, but nothing else I've shot. I was surprised, and the live round that had started to feed into the chamber has quite the dent in it. I did not shoot that round, nor have I taken a photo of it yet, but might add it to this thread later.

Might this be a gun problem, or an ammo problem? Ammo is PMC Bronze 55 Gr. FMJ.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My first thought would be, clean the chamber.
If it is clean, my second thought would be, check for rough chamber.
But, I have never had this problem.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I agree with the above, you might also want to check the extractor spring to make sure no crud has got into it and clean the extractor it'self.
It really does not look like a Magazine problem.
I'd say spend some time on the chamber.
Have you been shooting any Wolf ammo from your rifle?
I would not worry, I'm sure you will get it cleared up with a little scrubbing and brushing.

Best Regards, John K

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Mini-14 was "single-shot" out of the box and I was really like "wtf, over" as most gun sales are "final". I was using only factory mags, as 99% of the time aftermarket mags suck. Anyway, I posted somewhere else on here about this issue, and after a thorough cleaning and lubing of the bolt guide extrusions with powdered graphite, have yet to have a recurrence, albeit I have only shot about 110 rounds through mine. There is some really sticky stuff in the gun out of the box and unless you have thoroughly degreased the entire gun followed by a re-lube, you won't get it all. I would suggest removing the steel from the stock and giving it a thorough douche with something like Break-Free and drying everything off with compressed air and lubing parts appropriately (what I did)... regular machine oil on most moving parts, graphite on the action. IMO, anyway.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a complete field strip before I ever shot the gun. I did a quick cleaning with a patch and some Hoppes 9, and did some cleaning around the chamber and firing pin prior to about the last 40 rounds before this happened. Peering into the chamber just now with a good light shows a lot of what looks like white residue, so maybe I need to get in there and clean it. Should it really be this dirty so soon as to affect the performance?

What would be the best tool for cleaning in there? Certainly too big for any patches I have.

·
Registered
583 Posts
What would be the best tool for cleaning in there?
A fired .223 case is about .364" OD. Try a 38 caliber bore brush, that should be a snug fit (and still turn).

I've got an actual 5.56 chamber brush, but the 38 cal. should work just as well.

I've never seen a Mini extractor jump the rim like that, check the extractor lip for debris or damage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A fired .223 case is about .364" OD. Try a 38 caliber bore brush, that should be a snug fit (and still turn).

I've got an actual 5.56 chamber brush, but the 38 cal. should work just as well.

I've never seen a Mini extractor jump the rim like that, check the extractor lip for debris or damage.
A combination of 38 caliber cotton swab and a .40 caliber bore brush cleaned the chamber of the white residue without using any solvents. The .38 caliber bore brush was too small. .40 was perfect. Thanks for that tip. I probably would not have thought about that.

The extractor lip looks ok. The rest of the rounds in the magazine fired without incident. I have not shot the gun since.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A combination of 38 caliber cotton swab and a .40 caliber bore brush cleaned the chamber of the white residue without using any solvents. The .38 caliber bore brush was too small. .40 was perfect. Thanks for that tip. I probably would not have thought about that.

The extractor lip looks ok. The rest of the rounds in the magazine fired without incident. I have not shot the gun since.
I have to tell all of you that this thread, as well as others like it, are getting me a-wondering about these Mini's. I'm a new owner, relatively speaking, drawn to the Mini by the prospect of improved accuracy and better magazine availablilty. I always thought that reliability was the one sure thing....even with a little crud thrown into the equation. Now I'm beginning to wonder if these things are as finicky about dirt and ammo choices as an Alpha Romeo. If that's the case, then what's the purpose.

Not trying to stir the poo. If you've read my other posts, you know how much I want an AR alternative that's reliable and with acceptable accuracy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It shouldn't be dirty enough already for it to be the problem but it is possible. I would clean the camber lube the action. If it does not help try a different magazine which is the weakist link in any semi auto. If its still doing it try different ammo. My Mini14 didn't need a brake in period and is 100% reliable with factory mags. Mini 14s are great reliable guns but it is possible to get a bad one nothing is perfect. I like Break Free CLP for lubing mine a little goes a long way. If it turns out to be the gun I'm sure ruger will make it right.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I did close to 400 rounds in two trips to the range...

on my new 581 and it was flawless. No FTF, FTE or any feed issues using PMC ammo. Ruger 5 & 10 round mags. Did take it apart before the first range trip. cleaned and used CLP. Reliable? Yes! My only issue was scope mount scallops.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I would not worry a bit about reliability. You may have something small going on, but once fixed, it will work great.

As suggested, clean the chamber, be sure a piece of another cartridge is not broken and stuck in the chamber, I have seen that happen in a lot of different rifles, and try a different mag,
I'm pretty sure it will not be a bad problem.

Let us know what you find. Do check the chamber for a cartridge that may have broken and the front half is stuck in the chamber. That would most likely not be the rifles fault, and it can cause what I am seeing in the picture.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Can someone explain to me how you install a guide rod upside down?
The rod has a "long" and "short" side (on a Ranch Rifle), and if it's not installed correctly, it will offset the guide rod out of axis with the barrel. That causes binding.

I have serious doubts it would have caused anything like that, though.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
It could be a timing problem also, maybe someone put too small a gas bushing in it.

You just need to do some checks, the Mini is really a fairly simple weapon. You just need to find what is causing the problem.

Without having it in my hands, all that can be done is give suggestions on what to look at.
I think most have been covered bu others and myself. If you still cannot get it to work, send it back to Ruger or take it to a gunsmith.

You did check to see if there was the front part of a case that had the rear broken off still in the chamber? That will not allow the next round to chamber.

One other thing, if you chamber a round and remove the mag then fire it, does it (the fired case) extract normally and fire the round normally?

Good Luck, John K

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
My $0.02 is that it's a magazine problem.

I've had similar failures to feed with Triple-K mags, and the rounds (Rem-UMC, IIRC) were also dented.

When I first got them, it happened often. I modified them and they worked much better, but they still got this FTF from time to time. I've since ditched them.

From your picture, though, it looks like you have a factory mag. They are the best, but nothing is 100%.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with dkac2 and Joe as far as the problem is concerned; it has to be something simple. Mag issue (bent feed lip?) or perhaps deformed case/ ammo issue? I agree that the Minis are reliable. I have put about 1000 rds down range out of two newer #580 series Rugers, using abour 20 different ProMag 20's. No issues, period. dkac2 is right, Mini is simple; something not working, send it back. I really believe that you will figure it however without having to do that.

RO

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Take the extractor out, clean the inside of the bolt and the hole and spring for the extractor. It may have factory grease in it. Just another thought. They are a little bit of a pain to assemble the first time, but not that bad. Don't loose the plunger at the end of the spring that goes against the extractor.
Change mags too just to cover that.

If you still have zero luck, send it back to Ruger, could be a chamber problem.
Looking at that one round in the picure, it looked like the load was a little hot. Hard to tell, but that primer was pretty flat. Are they handloads ?

Good Luck, John K

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Well one thing is for sure, you got a lot of good suggestions.

If you have not tried some of the suggestions,why not ?
Then just go put a mag or two through it and see if it's working, otherwise, Ill buy your 7 pound club for $20.00 :D

I hope something some one has suggested works, Please let us know what if anything you found.

Best Regards, John K

1 - 20 of 135 Posts