Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just ordered a 5805 model mini 14 (praying it has the tapered barrel) I'd really like to put an illuminated scope on it just wanted to know what your recommendations are? Preferably no.more than 150$ and which scope mounts would I need to install it properly... Thank you very much and look forward to hearing your input

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
something standard probably like a 3-9x...most shots will be taken at and around 100 yds, ive considered a red dot.. but ive shot them before and am not the biggest fan..

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry man, you won't get a repeatable scope with decent glass and an illuminated reticle at that price point.

When I was younger I tried scopes made by leapers, Barska, cheap Bushnell's, etc. The leapers had an illum. Reticle and while it was cool to show off, it did nothing to help the function. It made the reticle real fuzzy looking and turned the entire inside of the scope to a green hue.

I would not recommend it, however, this is your rifle.

IMO, for the price point, I would look at solid scopes or red dots like scorpion suggested. You could get a really solid Nikon or Redfield revolution for that price, or a TRS25 red dot that has excellent reviews to point out just a few

Reactions: grumpy_old_man

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry man, you won't get a repeatable scope with decent glass and an illuminated reticle at that price point.

When I was younger I tried scopes made by leapers, Barska, cheap Bushnell's, etc. The leapers had an illum. Reticle and while it was cool to show off, it did nothing to help the function. It made the reticle real fuzzy looking and turned the entire inside of the scope to a green hue.

I would not recommend it, however, this is your rifle.

IMO, for the price point, I would look at solid scopes or red dots like scorpion suggested. You could get a really solid Nikon or Redfield revolution for that price, or a TRS25 red dot that has excellent reviews to point out just a few
dang, yeah i have a cheaper utg mounted on my marlin 60. it has illuminated reticles, i noticed it helps alot when shooting in lower light situations. If the illumination has different varying degrees of brightness that usually eliminates the fuzziness you were talking about, the mil dots do tend to become fuzzy when the illumination is brighter... so can you guys recommend me something out of the price range?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Nothing for $150 that will hold up. You could try a Mueller, around $150 and might hold up better than the NcStar or similar Chinese scopes. I have a Mueller 2-7x Illum. scope on my Marlin .356 that has held up well. The one I would recommend is a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4.x with FireDot. I have one on my AR and they are excellent for the money. $400 but bright, sharp and many great features. Green dot is daylight visible, motion sensor to preserve battery power, and the reticle ( SPR) has holdover for the 62 grain NATO load. Also the elevation turret is graduated for the 55 grain XM193, but Leupold will make a custom turret for any load /weight you want. You mentioned a 3-9x, they also make the Mark AR FireDot in that size, but it is getting a little big to put on a Mini. The 1.5-4x only weighs 9.6 ounces and is very compact.
Here is the Leupold on my AR:

And the Mueller illuminated scope on my Marlin. It is only a 2-7x, but look how bulky it is, it would look kinda funny on a little Mini:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Leupold's are tough. If it does break, lifetime warranty. I have a Nikon pistol scope (2.5-8x) on my Mini that has held up well. A smaller gas bushing and buffers help the situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
While I am advocate for buy a "better scope " and i also agree that the Mini platform is pretty harsh on optics . That said I do own a Bushnell 3x9x40 illuminated model , that has just over 500 rds and has yet to fail . Sometimes you can get lucky sometimes you end up with a box of Junk!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
For your consideration. I have one of these. Theoretically built to withstand airguns. I have only put about 160 rounds down range with it so far, so it is a bit early to strongly recommend. I kind of like it and the price was right. I run buffers fore and aft and ejects land 12"-42" away, so my recoil/jarring is pretty soft. Still the original 181-series bushing, too.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UGIMNQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UTG is Leapers' "lesser" brand, sort of like a Chevy versus a Caddy. And it came with two QD rings if you're running it on a P-rail.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thank you very much for the replies guys, looks like i'm going to test my fate with a leapers, hopefully it will work out... ill post a follow up when i send some rounds through it and let you guys know how it holds up, ill be adjusting either the gas bushings on my mini or getting a barrel strut with the adjustable gas knob, but im about to start a new thread regarding that right now :D

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
When I was into airguns ( Air Force Condor, Benjamin Marauder), I had Leapers scopes on them, on the recommendation of the dealer I bought from, and they did great. Those were PCP airguns though, not one with a piston. So they were easier on a scope. They aren't light, except for maybe the Bugbuster, which is a pretty compact variable. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey guys I just ordered a 5805 model mini 14 (praying it has the tapered barrel) I'd really like to put an illuminated scope on it just wanted to know what your recommendations are? Preferably no.more than 150$ and which scope mounts would I need to install it properly... Thank you very much and look forward to hearing your input
I've been running a 2-7x32 mm CenterPoint Adventure Class Scope (2-7x32 mm CenterPoint Adventure Class Scope) on my 581 Series Ranch Rifle for some time. Intended for shotguns and in your price range. Has worked well for me. YMMV

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you decide upon a scope, I'd suggest a higher power variable one, more like 4-12 or 4-16 vs 3-9. Why? You can always turn the power down but can't turn it up past the top. Us 'older' eyed folks can tell you that over time, you'll want higher and higher magnification.

If I were to get one for my Mini, I'd get this one "UTG 4-16X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot" which will fit the 3.5" center to center rings spacing on your Mini's receiver. However, you'll either need to send in the 1" rings you got with your Mini and ask for a 30mm set you pick as below (free swap) or install the picatinny rail that comes with your Mini and use the rings that come with the scope.

Understand that you can ask for swapped rings in 3 heights, medium, high, and extra high sized for 42mm, 52mm, and 62mm objective lens. Download "Ruger's Sportswear and Accessories Catalog" and look on pages 29 and 30 for the p/n you decide on.
I'm confused by p/n I decide on? What's the recommendated height for the rings? Thank you

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you decide upon a scope, I'd suggest a higher power variable one, more like 4-12 or 4-16 vs 3-9. Why? You can always turn the power down but can't turn it up past the top. Us 'older' eyed folks can tell you that over time, you'll want higher and higher magnification.

If I were to get one for my Mini, I'd get this one "UTG 4-16X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot" which will fit the 3.5" center to center rings spacing on your Mini's receiver. However, you'll either need to send in the 1" rings you got with your Mini and ask for a 30mm set you pick as below (free swap) or install the picatinny rail that comes with your Mini and use the rings that come with the scope.

Understand that you can ask for swapped rings in 3 heights, medium, high, and extra high sized for 42mm, 52mm, and 62mm objective lens. Download "Ruger's Sportswear and Accessories Catalog" and look on pages 29 and 30 for the p/n you decide on.
My computer just crapped out on me a few nights ago, and my phone won't download the ruger pdf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts