Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I finally got the pic's up from my first ****/rabbit/possum/skunk hunt with my frist mini-14. I can say for sure that this gun was ment for me! At first I thought it size would be a disadvantage but I really heplps when you have to shoot from the truck (Law says its legal in my situation). Anyway here are the pics. Dont look if you dont like to see bloody animals.

Hunt Pics

The mini really did make the expirence much more enjoyable and fun. I liked the fact that the mini would put a jackrabbit down in 1 shot at all times. Hope yall like the pics. By the way im the fat guy holding the rabbit w/ mini

·
Registered
540 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I had no idea hunting was soooo bloody!! :p

Hey waffen - what type of ranges were you at? I guess at nite it's be pretty limited. What type of ammo?

And another question I've always wanted answered - does a skunk stink-up after you shoot it? I had a skunk terrorize us at deer camp last fall and we were debating what to do. No one wanted to find out the hard way what happens when you pop one. Would a head shot work?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe, it is bloody. I was shooting from ranges of 30-100 yards with Wolf 55Grn. Jacketed Hollow Point rounds.

As for the skunks, well you have to be sure to hit them in the head or use a over powering round otherwise it's not going to be good. I have been sprayed about 10 times at ranges of up to 5 yards. Usually you can see the musk in the air before you smell it so it gives you a fair warning. Also at close ranges the smell dosn't smell at all like the skunk on the side of the road smell, it burns my eyes pretty bad and really gross!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
waffen, looks like you didn't waste any time in putting your mini to good use. I've got to get my load development completed, "so's I kin take to de woods."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Why did you shoot these animals? Was it to eat them, where they causing any agricultural damage, or just cause you're a sadist?

Just curious.

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shoot these animals because of agricultural damage. We own cattle/goats/sheep and our main crop is Pecans. The holes these animals leave can hurt the livestock and they eat our pecans.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i would not have shot a cat, but rabbits and skunks are considered varmints which makes them legitimate small-game. Also rabbit numbers are always great and must be keep in check if their is a lack of natural predators.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the cat was an accident. He was hiding under a low brush and we had seen a possum in the area earlier that night. He had small red eyes about 1 1/2 inch appart so I knew it was a varmint . I figured it was the possum. I do like feral cats however, around the barn they can do good, although they somtimes they can have a population boom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by Waffen
I shoot these animals because of agricultural damage. We own cattle/goats/sheep and our main crop is Pecans. The holes these animals leave can hurt the livestock and they eat our pecans.
I see, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I were you I wouldn't shoot a turkey without a shotgun. While a .223 would kill them it would tear the meat up more than a shotgun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on your success, we have a couple farms as well and pests can be a problem. One issue I have is "the cat was an accident" . Isn't one of the cardinal rules always be sure of your target? Feral cats can be as much help as domestic cats or as damaging as a fox or racoon, but when people see/read posts like this I think all hunters/shooters get a black eye.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, When I shot at the cat I was sure it was somthing that was not wanted on the ranch. It is 100% gaurenteed that if you see low lying bright red/orange eyes and they are blinking than its either a ****/cat. The condition that causes red eyes is caused from the meat that the animal eats. So you can be sure that if it's eyes stay sustained red that it is somthing that you want to kill.

While I see where you are comming from when you say it gives hunters a black eye, I would consider this more good ole fassion ******* fun! Hunting requires that you stalk your prey, we just drive up spotlight it/scope it and if its somthing we want to shoot at we shoot it. I assure you that we are very very safe and to this day I have never shot any livestock/deer/or illigal game on accident. The cat, I don't really care about very much, the population is stating to rise again so it was going to happen anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If I may add my 2 cents, everything waffen said he did is 100% legal in Texas. Its sometimes difficult for people not raised on a farm or ranch to fully understand about killen rabbits, coyotes, and other critters. They just see a cute lil critter dead. However if they had seen what those critters do to the cute little calves, lambs, kids (baby goats), and them trying to make a living raising these animals up for sale, I wager you it wouldn't be long before they would become the same way, and start trying to thin em out. Last year the coyotes on 2 ranches (my brothers neighbors) in Colorado killed 20 baby calves. They asked my brother to please hunt on their ranches to thin out the coyotes. The coyotes have no natural preditors in this area except man so the coyote population became quite large. About the only thing I do when I hunt a critter like the coyote, or the bobcat is I skin em, and sell the pelt as I am getting some use from the animal, besides just putten down a varmint. Also if I kin eat de animal, I eat it.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cajungeo, You hit the nail right on the head. We have had at least 30 goats this year die from coyote/Redfox attacks, we have had at least 2 cows get there leg stuck in a hole and break it, what we do is work. Its not cold blooded killing at all, if you are willing to shoot a theif that robbed you outside the ATM than I dont see why shooting a varment would be worse. I think you just needed to have grown up on a ranch or lived there for a deacently long ammount of time.

As for the coyote situation, I don't care at all how they die. Hell I think i'd shoot at one even if I just had a pellet gun, It dosn't really matter to me if he is wounded or dies just so long as he stops eating our goats.

Also the reason I carry my mini and also the reason that the pics were so bloody was because the .223 is major overkill for the game I was shooting at (5-35lbs) but there is also the chance that I will see a coyote walking the brushline or a red fox dart across a pasture and I need somthing that will get the job done on ALL animals. Thats why I chose the .223 and not a .22lr for the job.

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
About cats...

Domestic cats left out to roam the countryside hunt game birds just as the feral cats do. I grew up in hunting country, Georgia, and pet cats do range pretty far in a day.

They especially love quail. So, if you own property and you wonder why there's no quail, when your property should be a natural habitat for them, think about what I said.

KC

1 - 20 of 39 Posts