Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently in Arizona, where you can buy anything gun related. I visited J&G sales in Prescott to pick up some things. I asked them if they sold very many Mini -14's there and the dealer said not really, as they were now as expensive as everything else, but without all the bells and whistles. That may be true in AZ, but not so in CA, where I live. Or so I thought. Today I walked into a local gunstore chain and saw they were selling brand new flat top Del-Ton AR15's for $699.00. The new Mini-14's next to it were selling for $750.00. The Del-Ton's had heavy barrels, collapsible stocks and handguards that allow for mounting accessories. And they came in different colors. CA shooters are required to have a "bullet button" installed on "assault weapons" to make them legal in CA, which adds to the cost and these were already installed and factored into the cost. So after all that, the AR15 is now cheaper than the no-frills Mini-14. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mini's but I think Ruger is gonna loose their market if they don't bring their prices down or make some major upgrades to the rifle for the same price. Just an observation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No Not too much

I paid over $700 for Mini 14 tactical and don't feel it was too much. I got a solid, accurate rifle that doesn't have to be pampered, swallows everything I feed it, and hits what I shoot at. :D

If you want something other than a mini, then buy it. It's all going to get more expensive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with you badpig!

I don't live in the peoples republic of Cali, but did live in Prescott for several year, and bought several weapons from J&G (long before the internet) and they always had good prices compared to others in Shotgun News. I moved to the Rep of Texas back in '83 and have lived here since.

I love my 196 Mini, but to be perfectly honest, there is no way in Hades that I would pay $700(+-) for a current production Mini 14, regardless of the model. Only time will tell what happens with Ruger!

Just one gun nut's opinion, and I'm not looking for an argument, just sad about their current pricing :(

ETA: Your results may vary!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I paid over $700 for Mini 14 tactical and don't feel it was too much. I got a solid, accurate rifle that doesn't have to be pampered, swallows everything I feed it, and hits what I shoot at. :D

If you want something other than a mini, then buy it. It's all going to get more expensive.
I agree, it all is more expensive,if its not more money it is smaller and crappier, my cheetos and otis spunkmeyer cookies keep getting smaller and crappier(or i'm getting larger and my tongue is older):p

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree, it all is more expensive,if its not more money it is smaller and crappier, my cheetos and otis spunkmeyer cookies keep getting smaller and crappier(or i'm getting larger and my tongue is older):p
ooooh, Spunkmeyer :p

Don't know about the cookies, but their muffins use to be great!!
I can't afford to buy them any more, and I'm not talking about the price:eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's getting up there, but look at the direct competition

-KelTec a little too much plastic IMHO
-Entry-level AR's (DPMS sportical, CCMG, etc.)

If I can get an M30 tac for $700 out the door I'm not doing to bad. Still, I don't really wanna pay over $600 for one, which is another reason for me to get a WASR (I have a bit of milsurp fever).

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm carrying this over from another thread, but if it was a known fact that the new 580 series Mini's are significantly more robust and dependable than their AR counterparts, then I would say yes they are worth as much or more. But, as far as I know, there's no data to prove that it is. So, no, I would not pay $700 for a Mini. I got a brand new 581 Tactical for $566 and a nice used stainless 183 series for $250, essentially two rifles for the price of one entry-to-mid-level AR. Deals can be had if you are diligent.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$700 is a lot of money for a mini. Now that Ruger sells an AR there is less pressure to keep the Mini priced to compete.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I paid around $600 for my 580 in the spring of '08 right before Obamamania. I think between $500-600 is a fair price for the new models.

·
Registered
345 Posts
paid 692 for my mini 14 581 ss. very solid and dependable. the ar vs mini argument will be around forever. ar prices have come down i think because the market is flooded with choices. there is only one mini so the competition is less. i am not very familiar with all the ars on the market now but from talking to people at the range and reading other forums there is a difference in quality between the high and low priced ar's. if i was to buy an ar i would go with a higher quality from a well established manufacturer. ruger's are alittle high priced but they have been around for a long time and i think they will still be around long after some of the smaller ar makers are gone.

even at the higher prices i think you still get a good rifle for the money. i don't think anyone can doubt the garand action's reliability. yes there are other 223 platforms available but for me simple and dependable means more than accesories

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought mine used less than 1yo and in immaculate condition for 650 with 2 Ruger mags and a red dot, guy was "trading up" for an AR, had less than 500 rds. trough the barrel no scratches, dings, or rust. Best deal I have ever made, usually don't buy used, but just couldn't pass this up, and it's a straight shooter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that hard to design a much improved .223 semi auto carbine and still make a healthy profit at a much lower price point. I'm kind of surprised Marlin doesn't do it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
kel tec seemed to do a good job with the su 16 series and being able to use ar mags is a plus. being that ar's is the hot ticket right now i don't see any new 223 semi autos anytime soon. even ruger jumped in on the ar bandwagon.

·
Registered
273 Posts
$700 is a lot of money for a mini. Now that Ruger sells an AR there is less pressure to keep the Mini priced to compete.
Yes. The high price of the new Mini is precisely the reason why we keep having the AR vs Mini argument. A $499 Mini would quiet down much of the comparisons and truly make it a apples to oranges affair.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think there will always be a market for a standard wood stocked 16" to 18" carbine. Folks still buy alot of M1s. Looking at my disassembled Mini right now, it couldn't have cost Ruger much more than $40 bucks (if that) to make. $799 is a joke. Kel Tec sells a ton of Su16s, that's what you need to compete against not the AR. The Kel Tec is ugly, but really practical. That's a truck gun, not an $800 Mini. Now, a nice wood/blued Mini with good,cheap mags for the same $449? Be a different story. Unfortunately, I'd take the Kel Tec over a plastic/ss Mini every time because of the ar mags.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes. The high price of the new Mini is precisely the reason why we keep having the AR vs Mini argument. A $499 Mini would quiet down much of the comparisons and truly make it a apples to oranges affair.
I agree. It's not about just reliability/accuracy. Everything plays a factor. Versatility is a big one. If I can hang optics, back up sights, grips, lights off an AR, AND easily get parts for it/upgrade it, then if it's same price or LESS than a Mini, it's a no-brainer. The mini should be $100-$150 less than the AR to compete IMO, unless, like I said, Ruger wants to upgrade it and keep it the same price. I'll say it AGAIN, I love my Minis ( I own 3), but other than the hardcore die hard AR haters out there and based on sales numbers, there aren't many, at some point I would think the Mini just can't compete. Ruger has definitely improved, but they still have a ways to go IMO.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I think AR's are way over priced. I want a 20 inch M16 type AR real bad, but the cheapest I found was 867 at impact guns, and as of end of march Arma light would give you 101 bucks back, but still that is 168 more then my mini with the hammard forged barrel.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have to agree with the OP. I absolutely love my 185, I bought it for $275 during the run-up to the 1984 AWB when ARs went up to $700+. That was the beauty of it: reliable, light, and affordable. If I had to choose between two $700 carbines now, I'd take the AR.
Don't get me wrong, my Mini is my main SHTF gun. It shoots 1.5" and, as they say, "goes bang every time". I'll never replace it with an AR clone, but if I was in the market for a 223 defense gun these days, it wouldn't be a Mini.
Ruger lost the quality vs. cost argument with the new models.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.