Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this "or any" forum, but reading the posts has helped me a great deal in understanding my weapon. I have recently renewed our realationship and need a little help. I have the gb model, 1 in 10" twist. Groups were really bad at 100 yards,4 to 6+" with numerous flyers. I bedded the stock and saw noticeable increase in accuracy and then a slight decrease after 100 to 200 rounds. This model has the factory flash hider so Im not sure if there is a theaded brake out there to help with harmonics. I have recently installed a buffertech recoil buffer and it worked fine at first, but I did have some double taps after 100+ rounds. Could this be causing the doubles?

I would appreciate any help from you pros on accuracy tips as well as the above.
Thanks.

:ar15:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Swordslinger, might try and shave off a little of the buffer. Sometimes when they are to thick it might cause the d-tap. If you can't find a threaded brake might try (have gunsmith unless you can) cutting off the barrel hider and all and install a muzzle brake. You can also cut the barrel off in 1/4" sections until you get the right harmonics/groupings.

You didn't say but are you shooting with a scope and bench rest. Keep the gun fairly cool, I shoot no more that 5 shots in 10 minutes. I use my own bench and scope is 4x12x40mm.

Exercise your rights, buy a gun. Buy a gun to protect your rights.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a neat project, not sure though that the buffer would cause your problem. But, it's easy enough to remove and try again right?

What version are you getting your sig line from? I can't find that one. NIV: 36 "Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man."

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there Fasttang. That was a mistake on my part. That always hapens when you think you know scripture. Thanks for catching it! It should be Luke 22:36. And I dont think He was talking about the sword of the spirit as Peter later tried to take off a guard's head and cliped his ear later on.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullseye,

I have a scope mounted to this rifle. When I first got the weapon I puchased a B-square side mount. This thing would not hold a zero at all. Recently I began this project with Millett military mount that I found at gun accessories.com. It mounts between the ears of the rear sight. I put a Tasco High Country 3.5x10x44 on it that I previously had on my 7mag. I have rebedded the weapon since I saw some photos posted on this forum to use as a guide. It should be done in 2 more days, big ice storm just hit here so i ant get to the range anyway. I am planing to buy a houge overmold and start the process again. Thanks for your much needed and appreciated suggestions.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Swordslinger. One important thing about a beding job. Wait 4 days for the bedding to reach maximum hardness. If you bed it, and fire it the next day or even 2 days after, the bedding is still soft enough that it will be shot out, then ya have ta do it again.:(

A simple an often overlooked accuracy improvement is to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. You will find some ammo will fire 50% tighter groups than others. Also what shoots well in someone elses mini, may not in yours.

Most mini's with proper ammo, scoped, muzzle brake, stock bedded, and trigger job will shoot at least 2" groups or better at 100 yds.

Double taps? are you talking about ramfires?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Cajun,

When I say double taps I me 2 shot burst. No slam fires thank God! Those are verrrry Scarrrry. I do not think I used enough bedding the first time and I did not do the recoil lugs or stock reenforce. Since then I peeked at a forum that you had with a fellow member that helped me tremendously. You are a big help. If only we could stick together in other areas as well as you guys do here. We will one day soon?

On another note Cagun, what tpye of reload equipment do you use and is the Lee aniversery Kit a good deal for a beginner? Im satisfied that handloads will play a large roll in reaching my goal of 1" @ 100 yards.
Thanks for your Help!!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Swordslinger. Thanks for the kind words. My brother and I bought a lyman- T Mag Expert Kit, back in 1987 (but we were no experts then). I later traded him a lawn mower for his half. I have a friend that has used lyman, Lee, and RCBS for the past 30 years. He likes them all. The one nice thing about a Turret press is you can set all your dyes, and powder measure at one time. So by turning the turret you can advance to the next operation.

There is a difference between loading for a bolt gun, and a semi-auto. You will quickly see the diff. once you start shooting. But most are on limited funds so if its possible, I would get a press that you could add a turret to later, it will speed things up. After I work up my brass, I can load about 50 rds, in an hour (my set up is a semi progressive).

Besides a press, ya need a die set, case trimmer, debur tool, tumbler with media, scales, powder measurer, case lube kit, calipers, I highly recommend the lyman 47 th Reloading Handbook. (Besides reloading data it has 22 chapters on the how to, and why of reloading) I have 4 manuals, this is the last one I bought, it should have been the first. I learned a lot from it. There are some small items such as a bullet puller, flash hole cleaner, flash hole uniformer, primer pocket cleaner, loading tray etc.

One other thing, a convient place to buy powder, and primers. If you buy either on the net, there is a hazerdus shipping fee. I don't get it they can ship ammo, but not the powder, or primers, with out the fee. Some gun shops cater to reloaders, and have a decent supply. You will have to try different powders to see what works best for your particular load.

If you have the patience, and like to roll your own, you will be shooting Custom ammo built for your gun. Non shoots better, and its cheap. will pay for the reloader in time. I figure a box of 20 cost me $3.24, and shoots very near 1 moa. My 63 grn. Serria SP, is for dropping coyotes at up to 300 yds. I am now working on a lighter ballistic tip for poping prarie dog size critters at up to 300 yds. I dig this stuff! :D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Cajun! Thats the guidence that I needed to persu this goal. I saw the turret on the Lee sight and I will definitly keep that on my list. Your are right about the funds though. I plan to start this reloading thing pretty soon, I believe that I am the relaoding type geneticly. I am an avid bow hunter and custom knife maker, both both of wwhich require a touch of pickyness.

Thanks again, Keep your powder dry and keep the wind in your face.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: After rebedding and 50rds for settleing, the GB shot its best group ever at 1 3/16" at 100 yards. The ammo it seemed to like is the 55gr fmj USA white box. I trimmed the recoil buffer and the double taps have stoped completely. Thanks for all of the advice, I plan to continue until my goal is obtained. My 200 yard groups were about 4 1/2" and I would like them to be smaller as well, may be the shooter though.

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts