Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to become more familiar with the mini-14. Could you tell me how gas from the fired round enters the gas block and piston to operate the slide? Is there a port in the barrel? There is some really great info here! Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks. I got a reply via another thread. Is the gas port self cleaning (I read that it is) even after cleaning powder out of the barrel, etc, and with all the solvents used to clean the barrel. Doesn't any "gunk" get into the barrel port?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey doug, you are about 5 min ahead of me, I just posted a reply to the same question on another post. Ive never heard of the gas port getting clogged, but if your bolt wasn't comming back far enough, using the same ammo this would be a place to check. Common to the barrel gas port, and gas piston is a gas bushing, this bushing is what several of us have swaped out to a smaller size to reduce the excessive recoil. I will give my mini a though cleaning and inspection once a year, this is more detailed cleaning than my cleaning after each use. Hope this helps ya

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm drawing on my M1A experience. You shouldn't have to give the gas system a cleaning but once a year. The trick is to clean the barrel with the rifle upside down so solvent doesn't gunk up the gas system (gunky gas systems would need to be clean more often). There are some other threads on cleaning the rifle you should check out. :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
It's nearly inconceivable to me that the gas system on a Mini would get fouled to the point of causing trouble. I would fear high pressure gas errosion of the oriface in the barrel & bushing first. The quality of the ammunition would have to be awful to gunk up the system. Ruger probably feels this way too as they don't give any instructions on disassembly of the gas block & special cleaning of that area. We're talking about a round with a very high chamber pressure. No this is about as simple as a gas operated weapon can get. I'm thinking you could probably load a black powder 223 round with FFFg & fire it through the Mini with little trouble. Now there's an idea! Semi auto black powder cowboy shooting!

Have fun
Bushwack

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yuck! Black powder. I looked closely at the gas system, and I have to agree with Bushwack. There's no way that can get fouled up.

Even if you threw lithium grease and a handful of sand in there. (I'm exaggerating) Don't try this at home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts