Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i finally found a local that does a great job on threading barrels. So im taking my 580 series to the chopping block, shortening to 16 1/2" and getting her threaded.
now i want to keep iron sights on it and i have a ultimak rail so i cannot go the nose cap rout.
will the factory pin on front sight work farther back on the barrel? can i grind the slot for the pin with a file or dremmel?

i cant wait for my supressor paper work goes through, got about a 6 month wait though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe the factory sight will go back on, but you will have to cut a new slot for the pin. If it were me, I'd have a gunsmith do that. Getting the slot even a little bit off would result in a canted front sight.

I've read that some guys have had to cut the original sight off, as its pressed on. Others have the sight pop right off.

I've been thinking about chopping the barrel on mine as well. Not sure if I like the factory sight enough to put it back on, or if I want to pursue something else. A Mo-reaper with a threaded end for a suppressor (interchangeable flash/sound) would be sweet, but I can't even imagine how you go about getting the bores on all three pieces lined up.......

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
i finally found a local that does a great job on threading barrels. So im taking my 580 series to the chopping block, shortening to 16 1/2" and getting her threaded.
now i want to keep iron sights on it and i have a ultimak rail so i cannot go the nose cap rout.
will the factory pin on front sight work farther back on the barrel? can i grind the slot for the pin with a file or dremmel?
It can go back on and if your local guy is good he'll be able to reinstall it, line it up and pin it back on. Just make sure to ask if he does this as part of the threading work or if there's an additional charge. I always reinstall them unless specifically asked to leave them off and I believe most smiths are of the same thought.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc, I really wish you lived closer! I know noone can work magic like you! To much positive feedback from your customers.

I got the front sight off and a mosen flashhider bao lug on so that's not a problem. One issue is if I'm going to go through the hoops for a 12" barrel he won't touch it unless its actionless. And I'm not about to buy or build a action wrench and barrel vice.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That's too bad. I'm just a big brown truck away if your local guy won't do it for you. It's also pretty damn hard to get the front sight on straight without the receiver attached as a reference point. It also needs to be test fired going to 12 inches of actual barrel since the gas port in the barrel may need to be opened up to allow more gas volume.

Before going a lot further examine your sights well. The reduced sight radius will reduce your sight adjustment range as well....so if your rear sight is near or at the limits of its elevation and windage currently, the sights may run out adjustment before you can get them back to matching POA/POI and you'll be really disappointed.

So let's say for argument's sake you decide to consider sending it to me. You already have the pin on flash hider, so there's no parts charge from my end. The charge for a cut and crown is $75.00, permanent attachment for pin-on part adds $25.00 and return shipping to you by UPS ground will run you $30.00 in the continental US. So for $130 (plus shipping to me) I'll do the job for you and turn it around in a week or so. Is that much more than the local guy who wants you to do the barrel pull and reinstall? If it's not let's get it in here and make it happen for you. I also have a discount program for NRA members, and LEO/Military that can knock the costs down a bit. Not a lot since it's not a large bill, but every bit helps. Think about it and then shoot me an email from my signature line and we can work out the details. Bear in mind that I accept some trading from time to time if you have some spare gun parts or accessories that I can use on other jobs. Never let money get in the way of what you really want because there's always creative ways to make everyone a winner. I also encourage you to support your local gunsmith whenever possible, but if he's not supporting you then looking elsewhere is something he should expect you to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.