Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch. I installed a Ranch Products Scout scope mount. I'm looking at a HK front sight and muzzle flash suppresor. I can't figure out how to get the front sight off could you help me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Buy a BIG sledge hammer! :D

Just kidding. I'm going to go out on a limb here, since I've never removed one myself:

Take the rolled pin out (using a nail set or drift punch).
Put the barrel in a padded vise.
Apply some heat to the sight with a torch (not too much heat though).
Use a block of wood and a regular hammer to gently 'encourage' it off.

Don't go ape s**t on it, you may damage it. If you still can't get it off without using excessive force, go see a gunny. He'll get it off there. I think they have devices like gear pullers that are made for just such things. Don't worry - I'm sure it won't cost much to have him do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the heat removal and it didn't work, I am willing to try any other suggestions that one might have.:ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I agree with mr 2655. If you removed the pin and heated it, and it still won't come off, I'd get a smithy. When I took out my sight pin to install the muzzle break, it appeared the sight was bonded on with something. Maby our Rugar Armmor has a sugestion?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Shawbran---When I removed my front sight I just used a small punch to drift out the roll pin then standing the barrel muzzle down on a piece of wood I just gave the sight a sharp rap with a punch & hammer. No sweat! Don't tap it the front sight is probably the tightest part on a Mini.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got it off, I had to heat it like you guys said and it finally came off with a couple of hits with a hammer and a brass punch thanks for everyones help it was greatly appreciated.:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts