Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get a flashlight mount for my 581 series Mini-14 and was wondering what you guys would recommend. I would prefer one that would just clamp on to the barrel and that is relatively easy to take on and off.

Also what is a decent rifle flashlight for under a few hundred?

Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Streamlight TLR-2, about $230/240. Still have to get a barrel clamp, but those are cheap unless your stock has a rail already.

They also make a flashlight only for less.

good quality stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you're willing to spend up to a couple hundred on a flashlight, you could go whole hog and get a Ultimak rail, a VLTOR offset "scout" mount and a Surefire G2 LED. The whole setup would run about $250, but you'd then have a length of rail available for a red-dot optic, sling mount, etc.

Another option would involve zip-ties:

·
Registered
303 Posts
One recommendation: get an LED flashlight. LED bulbs make your batteries last a lot longer and they're pretty much indestructible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Or you can put a rail on it and then attach the flashlight to this, using one weaver scope ring:

45º Tactical Mount New Target Sports

I've got a couple and they work fine.
I like that 45º mount--and the price is right. I think the OP should consider how he holds the rifle in his ready position. The VLTOR mount places the flashlight right at 90º from the rail., so if that's where his thumb is, it will be the most natural place for the light. If he has a higher hold, or bigger hands, that CDNN mount would put the light in the right place. Here's the VLTOR offset mount:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Streamlight TLR-2, about $230/240. Still have to get a barrel clamp, but those are cheap unless your stock has a rail already.

They also make a flashlight only for less.

good quality stuff.
Thanks for the input. A TLR-2 is high on my list of flashlights to get, looks like a good reasonably priced option. What are my options as for as barrel clamps go? What is a good one to get?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the input. A TLR-2 is high on my list of flashlights to get, looks like a good reasonably priced option. What are my options as for as barrel clamps go? What is a good one to get?
As I understand it, the TLR-2 mounts to standard Picatinny rail. This is perfect for handguns that are coming with a length of rail under the barrel on either the dust cover or frame. That's a good place for it because you can easily manipulate the controls while keeping your finger near the trigger.

Not sure that's the best choice for a weapon light on a longgun. You would need a length of rail near where your hands would be. If you mount it on a top rail, such as an Ultimak, you won't be able to use the sights. So you can install rail on the side, etc., but that is a somewhat inelegant solution. The Amega rail has an option for installing a side rail, but not sure how that is a better choice than a Surefire with the pressure controlled tailcap.

That TLR-2 would be good on a pump shotgun in the right mount. It would be excellent on a pistol. Not sure it works great on a mini. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Or...Mount it on a barrel stabilizer that is compatible with most barrel clamps...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Most barrel clamps are pretty equal. They are all from China, aluminum, etc...

If you shop ebay you'll have many to choose from and they are cheap, 10-20 dollars. Just pick a large solid one.

Example:
NEW WEAVER PICATINNY UTG SINGLE RAIL BARREL MOUNT BLACK | eBay
or
UAG GRIP WEAVER-PICATINNY RAIL RIFLE BARREL MOUNT-4B | eBay

Many of our sponsored vendors here carry selections, too.

I eventually got a ATI stock for the many options it gave me, including an extended metal rail under the fore stock that allowed me to move the TLR2 back and add a folding foregrip. That rail was an extra. You don't want the plastic ones that come with the stock.
If you look close you can see that I bought the extra switch for the TLR that mounts on the grip, but I almost like the light mounted switch better.

Wil

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am looking for a quality barrel clamp to weaver mount(to put on my Accu-strut) to have the option to put a TLR1 on my Mini for night uses. What do you all use for this purpose?

·
Ghostrider
127 Posts
Found this one on Amazon, pretty cheap and it got really good reviews, I'll probably end up getting one for myself if I don't find a mount that will accept my surefire flashlight.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Has anyone on the board used this gas block light rail mount? It isn't really apparent from the photo on the web site, exactly how it mounts to the gas block??
Yes, I have used one of those but abandoned it after getting my ATI stock.

They supply 2 longer screws with the unit. You remove the 2 front screws on your gas block, slip the mount over the gas block and use the 2 longer screws supplied with the mount to attach to the gas block.

HOWEVER, if you have a newer model Mini (580/581) with the heavier barrel @ the gas block, then you have to take your dremel tool or file and do some major aluminum removing to allow clearance with the barrel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't have one of these mounts, but it sounds like what you are looking for:

Midwest Industries: MI Mini-14 Tactical Light Mount
Thanks - This one looks to be easier to mount. On the other hand, the gas block mount would put the Streamlight underneath, which seems like it'd be better for ambidextrous activation. I have two left handed and two right handed shooters in the house to contend with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Magpul moe rail worked perfect for mini 14 flashlight mount.

Rails come with metal back piece which has a "nipple" that when you drill plastic handgaurd & insert it through inside/backside of it on 580 Minis it gives it a tight custom feel.

This is my first post so once I learn how to upload my images I will.... Hopefully on Monday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
photos for moe rail on factory Stainless Mini -14

the only thing that took any time was going one drill bit at a time untill the "nipple" backpiece to the rail screw was a tight fit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts