Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I have a 584 Series Mini 14, and it turned into my favorite gun! What are you guys feeding your guns for factory ammo, that produce good accuracy? I have all military 55gr fmj stuff that I feed both the Mini, and the AR. I think the Mini deserves better. Both guns have 1:9" twist, but looking for a Mini specific favorite, without all the experimenting. I don't mind buying 300-500rds of premium stuff, just want the right stuff. Thanks Fellas!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Howdy, 45. Unfortunate, but these days are less than optimum for anything to shoot at all, let alone good. Perhaps a Quantum suit or a DeLorean that could get you to 2017 or 2018 then I could suggest the ammo canned American Gunner 55gr Flat Base Hollow Point or Remington 62 grain HPBT Match cat#R223R6.

I would not expect any company pushing the upcoming Vacc mandates to be in any position to expand their production

·
Registered
648 Posts
Winchester White Box 45gr. JHP, almost always Sub MOA
PMC Bronze 55gr. FMJ, 1.5" - 2" sometimes better
Norma Tac 55 gr. FMJ 1.5" and under.

However,
I have not seen the White Box in several years.
Have not seen Norma in almost a year.
My local shop still has lots of PMC in stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts

However,
You can buy Norma online directly from them.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I dont know if you live in a restrictive state or not. FMJ is usually exposing the core at the back of the bullet, exposing it to the burning powder when the cartridge is fired. The exposed core melts and vaporizes at an unknown rate and quantity.

A closed base like a hp bullet would protect the core from most of the heat and resulting damage. A clue as to why much match grade ammo uses HPBT bullets.

·
Formerly "raf"
3,034 Posts
Suggest shooting as many different types of ammo as possible while breaking-in your Mini, taking careful notes. The overall quality of the ammo used will make a difference. For example, genuine Military ammo is generally about 2 MOA under ideal circumstances.
2 MOA ammo shot out of a 3 MOA barrel would presumably yield about 6 MOA. Carefully made handloads can be much more accurate.

Your Mini, under ideal circumstances, is about a 2 MOA firearm, give-or-take a bit; that's not factoring-in the accuracy of the ammo itself.

Suggest you clean and lube your Mini well during the break-in process, making every effort to NOT remove the barreled action from the stock, since doing so requires wasting a few shots to "settle" the action back into the stock.

Suggest you watch these videos: brownell's videos on mini-14 - Bing

Suggest you concentrate on ammo with bullets in the 55gn to 62gn range, but by all means do experiment outside that range, as every rifle is a bit different.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
70 Posts

However,

White box in stock ($1.25/round!!!)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I kind of disagree with some of the assertions in this thread. Your gun should shoot just about any quality 55-62 gr factory loaded ammo into 2" at 100 yards. I use Federal American Eagle as a base line for all of my .223 Carbines. The guns are all sighted in using that "Readily Available" Ammo(sometimes) and then every thing else I shoot is off by a small amount which in my world doesn't amount to much. My guns get mostly my own loaded ammo made with new components adn assembled at home.

My 580 series gun will shoot Wolf Steel Case Ammo into 2" so it can't be all bad.

One thing to keep in mind is, "can YOU shoot as good as your gun can shoot?"

Most people can not honestly say yes to this question. And if you can't, then does your ammo choice really make that much difference? Most Factory loaded ammo is not much different from maker to maker. There will be slight differences in velocities and SDs, but will you know if it is You, or the Gun, or the Ammo?

Something to think about?

Randy

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We tried a lot of ammo when we were testing the Accu-strut. I have to say that the best stuff we personally tried was Federal's 50 grain Jacketed Hollow Point (AE223G, now marketed as a varmint round). It is twice as accurate as their 55 grain FMJ, but only a little more expensive. It even outperformed all our expensive match grade ammo. All of our published test results are based on this round.

It was a little harder to find back then, and of course very difficult to find now, but our test rifles sure loved it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kind of disagree with some of the assertions in this thread. Your gun should shoot just about any quality 55-62 gr factory loaded ammo into 2" at 100 yards. I use Federal American Eagle as a base line for all of my .223 Carbines. The guns are all sighted in using that "Readily Available" Ammo(sometimes) and then every thing else I shoot is off by a small amount which in my world doesn't amount to much. My guns get mostly my own loaded ammo made with new components adn assembled at home.

My 580 series gun will shoot Wolf Steel Case Ammo into 2" so it can't be all bad.

One thing to keep in mind is, "can YOU shoot as good as your gun can shoot?"

Most people can not honestly say yes to this question. And if you can't, then does your ammo choice really make that much difference? Most Factory loaded ammo is not much different from maker to maker. There will be slight differences in velocities and SDs, but will you know if it is You, or the Gun, or the Ammo?

Something to think about?

Randy
I can safely rule me out as the shooter, as I can shoot better than most. I didn't say the military 55gr fmj stuff wasn't accurate, just wanted some decent stuff, soft point, hollow point, etc... that you guys had good results with.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I like good-ole M193 55gr for all of my Minis (one old pencil-barreled 1:10 twist, and newer 1:9 twist 583 models). It is consistent in both and gets me about 3 MOA for the 181-series and 2 MOA for the 583. Easy to find and my current stockage is PPU M193. The 583s might do better with 62gr ammo due to their twist rate, but I kinda like an ammo stockage that works best for all of them. To be honest, I've never fired 62gr from my old 181-series Mini: just haven't felt the need, but it should handle it well, too. A function of what it was originally designed for...

But I also shoot PMC .223 55gr Bronze in both and don't really see much difference in the ranges I'm interested in, plus the .223 works well in my Savage .223 bolt gun, too.

I look for simplicity: if I grab a bunch of .223/5.56 ammo in the dark to reload, I don't want to worry about which is which for the particular gun I'm shooting. I'll likely go exclusively with PMC Bronze .223 55gr when ammo availability opens up again so that all my .223/5.56 guns (including my Savage .223 bolt gun) work well with the same ammo. This from a logistician that prefers commonality of ammo over worrying about whether the MOA is 2.01 or 1.98 (I'm not that good). I don't hunt, so a humane kill shot isn't in the formula, and I hate paper targets: give me reactive ones like toilet-paper tubes filled with horse-bedding pellets or bird-seed or corn or hay (helps the critters I love on this farm). Have graduated from coffee-creamer jars because of the plastics, but gotta say they can really sail when hit in the base!

In short, everyone has differing ammo choices with differing intended uses. Just take everything into consideration and see what best fits your needs/desires. In terms of bullet weight, 55-62gr is likely best for a 1:9 gun, generally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
...Suggest you concentrate on ammo with bullets in the 55gn to 62gn range, but by all means do experiment outside that range, as every rifle is a bit different.

Hope this helps!
I'm wondering if you would shed some light as to why you recommended only 55-62 grain which, if I understand correctly, is not match grade (75-77 grain)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We tried a lot of ammo when we were testing the Accu-strut. I have to say that the best stuff we personally tried was Federal's 50 grain Jacketed Hollow Point (AE223G, now marketed as a varmint round). It is twice as accurate as their 55 grain FMJ, but only a little more expensive. It even outperformed all our expensive match grade ammo. All of our published test results are based on this round.

It was a little harder to find back then, and of course very difficult to find now, but our test rifles sure loved it.
Thanks. Have you ever tried match-grade ammo with and without the Accu-strut installed, in 580+ series Mini-14s?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have talked about this issue many times in my threads about sighting the guns in.
What I do is sight all my Carbines in using a commonly available ammunition.
In my case that has been Federal American Eagle. YMMV>

However 99% of my shooting is done with my own hand loaded ammo. It consists of a Hornady 55 gr FMJBT (Military Overruns at .07 each) 25 gr of W748/BL-C2 in factory new primed cases I got from Midsouth. This is not a hot load but it functions perfectly in all my carbines. (Mini 14, AR, SCR, and KT SU16.) There is about 100 fps difference in velocity between the factory ammo and my handloads which only changes the elevation about 1" at 200 yards.

The reason for this is in a pinch I can grab a box of the factory ammo form whatever source I can find it, and know exactly where it is going to shoot.
As long as you know what the gun is going to do you can compensate for it, and small differences in POI are not going to make any difference when using the guns for their truly intended purpose. This keeps it simple and you don't have to worry about where a round is going to go, because you already know where it is going to go.

Endless searching for that Golden BB that puts every shot thru the same hole is pointless when the gun or more properly the shooter is incapable of doing it. You are looking for "Predictable Consistency." in "Commonly Available Ammunition."

That's what will provide you with the best possible performance for your weapon and you as well.

Something to think about as we go foreword in this country.

Randy

Reactions: SAN14
1 - 18 of 18 Posts