Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 181 series that I had ASI cut down the barrel and install a muzzle brake. It is now the minimum legal length. I also got some new gas bushings which I started with the smallest size that was .040. The action would not cycle so I installed the largest (.050). It helped but failed to feed a round. Next I drilled out the bushing to .065. It now ejects brass a couple feet but still FTF 50% of the time. The bushing is now larger than the gas port in the barrel. Is the loss of gas pressure normal due the reduced barrel length? Should I just keep increasing the diameter of the gas bushing orfice or am looking at a diferent problem? Appreciate any advise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 181 series that I had ASI cut down the barrel and install a muzzle brake. It is now the minimum legal length. I also got some new gas bushings which I started with the smallest size that was .040. The action would not cycle so I installed the largest (.050). It helped but failed to feed a round. Next I drilled out the bushing to .065. It now ejects brass a couple feet but still FTF 50% of the time. The bushing is now larger than the gas port in the barrel. Is the loss of gas pressure normal due the reduced barrel length? Should I just keep increasing the diameter of the gas bushing orfice or am looking at a diferent problem? Appreciate any advise.
What ammo are you feeding it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
first i would go back to original bushing size (.084 -.088) i believe. thats what my mini 181 has from factory. newer ones are larger! and use good quality ammo. at least winchester or federal. and see if she cycles then...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yep, go back to the stock bushing. Cutting the barrel shorter is going to cut the gas pressure, how much per inch I don't know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't sure what the original bushing size was suposed to be since I don't have it. I wanted to make sure my orifice size wasn't unreasonable. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Obviously ASI and you don't know what the hell you're doing, also the other amature would be gunsmiths here. Send it into gundoc or Ruger with a detailed description of the problem and your "fixes". Gundoc does barrel shortnings on minis, so I'm sure he knows exactly how to repair your rifle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful post 40nascar. I'll do it your way, mail it off and let someone else figure it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bushing can only help compensate to the point that the gas port in the barrel is too small. You may need to have the gas port in the barrel enlarged.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Obviously ASI and you don't know what the hell you're doing, also the other amature would be gunsmiths here. Send it into gundoc or Ruger with a detailed description of the problem and your "fixes". Gundoc does barrel shortnings on minis, so I'm sure he knows exactly how to repair your rifle.
Funny thing, most of the bitching I see here about the Mini not working and being a POS is from those amateur would be gunsmiths. Just saying.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Obviously ASI and you don't know what the hell you're doing, also the other amature would be gunsmiths here. Send it into gundoc or Ruger .
Interesting comment. You obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. Send it off to Ruger?? Really?? And what do you think Ruger will do with this rifle now that the barrel has been modified and shortened??? That's right, NOTHING, they will send it back and will not work on it.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
The bushing can only help compensate to the point that the gas port in the barrel is too small. You may need to have the gas port in the barrel enlarged.
The way I read his post is that he had his barrel cut back, so the gas port in the barrel should be good. Cutting the barrel shorter is going to drop gas pressure a bit, but the Mini is over gassed anyways. Going back to the stock gas port bushing is where I would start and then go from there.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Interesting comment. You obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. Send it off to Ruger?? Really?? And what do you think Ruger will do with this rifle now that the barrel has been modified and shortened??? That's right, NOTHING, they will send it back and will not work on it.
Well Smartass, Ruger does make a tactical model with 16" barrel, they should be able to figure it out!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ruger will not work on any firearm of theirs that has been altered. If they put a short barrel on it they would , but being its been cut, No they want. Gun doc is the mini wizzard.;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well Smartass, Ruger does make a tactical model with 16" barrel, they should be able to figure it out!
Rather be a "smart ass" than a "dumb ass". As stated above by plumbernater, Ruger will NOT work on any firearm that has been altered. If it was Ruger's short barrel no problem, being it was altered and cut they will not touch it, period.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Rather be a "smart ass" than a "dumb ass". As stated above by plumbernater, Ruger will NOT work on any firearm that has been altered. If it was Ruger's short barrel no problem, being it was altered and cut they will not touch it, period.
Well if the mini is already sent to Ruger they can make the decision. Amazing how many people can read the mind of the Ruger repair tech's here! Even if they suggest a stock barrel replacement, then the rifle will be returned to the original poster as a functional firearm. Whats wrong with that? I just hope the original barrel wasn't cut a little to short. I'de hate to see him get a visit from ATF.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well if the mini is already sent to Ruger they can make the decision. Amazing how many people can read the mind of the Ruger repair tech's here! Even if they suggest a stock barrel replacement, then the rifle will be returned to the original poster as a functional firearm. Whats wrong with that? I just hope the original barrel wasn't cut a little to short. I'de hate to see him get a visit from ATF.
Now that's some funny **** there! :lol: A Ruger tech going against decades of Corp. policy and offering to work on a Mini with a Modified barrel. :lol: You crack me up. Been reading this forum and Ruger Corp policy much, have ya? You are with out a doubt one funny sum-bitch. Keep it up though, good humor will always brighten one's day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts