Perfect Union banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been staring at my Mini for sometime now, and have decided I will give this old 187xxx a "re-birth".

I'd like to keep the wood around, as I really like it, but I feel it's time to "dude" her up. SO, this is what I am planning to do:
- Hogue OM stock in Ghillie Tan
- Stabilizer rod. I really like the Accu-Strut SOCOM, but no sure how it will look, so may opt for a 6" rod.
- Mount scope(not sure of what rings to use. Something on the cheap). It's a UTG/Leapers 4x44, w/illuminated R/G mil-dot reticle. Works great on my 6.8 AR, so it should serve it's purpose on the Mini.
- New rear sight. I hate that fold down. I'm looking for a rear sight that can be utilized WITH the scope.
- Adjustable cheek piece
- M-14 Brake.

Only thing I'm lost on is the rings. I am not familiar with ruger rails. I have some extra rings, but I'm sure they won't work. I'm really looking for some recommendations here.

Other than that, what else am I missing? AR's are so easy to doll up, it's boring. I'm pretty sure I'll have more satisfaction doing up the Mini, as it seems to have it's own character.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't know how you're gonna be able to use the rear sight, with a scope mounted...
You can always get QD rings and take the scope off if you get the urge to use irons.
Ruger mounts are proprietary. You can use a rail made for the Ruger (as I did- with Warne QD rings), or just rings- but they need to be made for the Mini.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Another option is Weaver See-Thru Rings. Not sure what those will do to your cheek weld, though.

Honestly, I've been dealing with this dilemma, myself. I think I've settled on Warne QD Rings. Apparently Ruger has used two different sets of proprietary rings, but the correct Warne QDs for a Mini-14 are:

1RL = 1" Med.
2RL = 1" High
14RL = 30mm Med.
15RL = 30mm High

Finish is added to the end of the part number: (G)loss, (M)atte, or (S)ilver.

They advertise 100% return-to-zero after removal, which would allow the use of iron sights almost at-will -- turn one lever on each ring and remove the scope.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as getting rid of the flip-up rear sight -- Tech Sights has recently come out with a click-adjustable rear sight for Minis, and several users here have been singing their praises.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the ring info. I will definitely go with the Warn QD's then. That was my biggest apprehension when scoping, I wanted to have quick access to irons, then re-scope and maintain zero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts