Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 185 series mini non ranch style rifle,and I want to turn it into a coyote calling rifle so shots under 200 yards. Here is my plan:
1. Bed rifle
2. Trigger job
3. Cut barrel back to the"ring" and perm install of a Choate flash hider
4. Need a good scope mount side or top mount but have no idea who makes a good one.
Any input or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
665 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. I'll give you my two cents. (I'm a shepherd, so I have an interest in your rifle project).

A trigger job and bedding the receiver to the stock are good improvements.

Try adding a flash hider to the barrel before you cut it down. You may find that the fh will add to the accuracy you want. You can always cut down the barrel later.

Many add either a barrel strut or stabilizer to their barrels. There are rails available that mount onto the barrel, which is one way to mount a scope.

And then you might want to rework the gas block. Replace the gas bushing to a smaller size, and re torque the gas block evenly.

Take the time to review the many posts found through this forum. You'll find lots of ideas and how to's. Look in the photo section and see what others have done with their Mini's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My two mini's:

Mini Scout:
Barrel recut to 16 1/4 inches and recrowned.
Choate flash suppressor/muzzle brake installed.
Trigger job.
Williams rear sight.
Ultimak scout mount and medium rings.
Leupold 2.5X scout scope.
Bedded factory gray laminate stock.
PMI Stainless mag with Magpuls installed

Mini varminter:
Clark Heavy Match Barrel 16 1/4 incles.
Matched with gas block.
Choate front sight.
Trigger job.
Williams rear sight.
Factory High Rings.
Leupold VX-II 3X9X40.
Bedded Clark gray laminate stock.

With good ammo, Heavy Barrel shoots 1 MOA if I do my part, the Scout just over that.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Get the barrel Cryo treated. It makes a big difference in the stringing of shots, especially on the longer barreled Mini's

Also, bed the gas block, it helps a lot also. I did a post on bedding the gas block, look for it because there is a right and a wrong way to bed it.

Follow what others have suggested and you'll thin out the yotes in your area.

I would start with a good trigger job, bedding, re crown the muzzle, a barrel strut and a Cryo job. That will get your weapon shooting pretty darn good. From there you can fine tune. That's all I did to my tactical except I didn't use a barrel strut and if I do my part, it shoots right around an inch, sometimes a little under, sometimes a littl over, it kind of depends on how I shooting that day. If you stay with the 18.5 inch barrel, a barrel strut would make a good difference also.

Welcome to the board.

Best Regards, John K

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am moving ahead on my project! I am trading my older non ranch mini for a 581 series ranch model. My rifle plus $50 so I think I did ok since a good scope mount would cost about that much anyway. Going to ship it this week to Gun Doc for him to turn it into a 1 moa coyote killer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
to C. Montague; Yes, its an older ranch rifle. The Williams sight is a vast improvement over the blades standard on the older ranch rifles. That said, they don't beat a good scope. Just there more or less as a back-up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coyote special is done and on the way back via UPS! I have some Hornady Super Performance to try in it and will report. I am thinking of putting a Nikon 223 scope on it. Has anyone tried one of these scopes out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received my mini back from Gun Doc today! It looks BAD ASS! The quality of the work looks first class and very prompt turnaround time for the work. Overall this has been a very pleasant experience. It is very cold and windy here but I cannot wait to get it to the range. I will update all of you as soon as I can. I also put a Nikon 223 2-8x scope on it and it looks like a great match for the rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My two mini's:

Mini Scout:
Barrel recut to 16 1/4 inches and recrowned.
Choate flash suppressor/muzzle brake installed.
Trigger job.
Williams rear sight.
Ultimak scout mount and medium rings.
Leupold 2.5X scout scope.
Bedded factory gray laminate stock.

Good luck!
Kirk,

Do you have any pictures of your Mini Scout setup. I would love to see the mini sporting the Leupold scout scope. I just picked up my first mini 14 and I am trying to figure out what to mount on it.

Thanks!

Kipp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.