Perfect Union banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
For now it may work fine. Follow M14/M1A guidelines for lubrication. As much as I love Ruger products, there is some bad advise coming from Ruger concerning their own products. And they're not the only company that officially don't seem to understand many things about their products. The Mini manuals have been full of errors since I first picked up a Mini-14 manual in 1988. I ignore much of what is in my Mini-30 manual.

IMHO a potential or current Mini owner should become well acquainted with the M14/M1A, it's function and maintenance before he touches a Mini-14/Mini-30.
Fully concur!

·
Major General Chit Chat
1,619 Posts
The Brownells lube video is pretty right on, and more or less how I've always done it for my Mini-30 since early 1990s. There are many good types of all temperature grease available. There's no single best type. Think in terms of MIL-SPEC when maintaining the Mini and you'll be fine. It's helpful to be familiar with maintenance procedures for many types of military rifles/carbines.

I use light oil like Rem oil or Hoppe's on the moving parts in the trigger group, and light grease where the bolt makes contact with the receiver, and points on the charging handle like in the video. IMO either oil or grease on the recoil spring works. I've used both. I've used the same type brushes to apply grease as used in the Brownells video for many years.

People can get away with not properly lubricating their firearms for a while, but it will come back and bite you sooner or later. Good maintenance is all about performance and service life.

·
Banned
12 Posts
FYI, Accuracy Systems is a Ruger warranty company if that helps. They are licensed by Ruger to do warranty work on Mini 14/30 rifles. HTH

·
Registered
265 Posts
FYI, Accuracy Systems is a Ruger warranty company if that helps. They are licensed by Ruger to do warranty work on Mini 14/30 rifles. HTH
Mmmm, not exactly.
This is from Accuracy Systems' website: We are Sturm, Ruger & Company® Certified to work on your Ruger Mini 14® & 30® Rifles. You will no longer need to send your rifle to Ruger for restricted factory work. We can handle any factory replacement part work you are needing from firing pins to trigger components and more..... *All factory warranty issues will still need to be handled through Ruger® for now.

Oh, I notice now you've been banned.

·
Registered
265 Posts
...People can get away with not properly lubricating their firearms for a while, but it will come back and bite you sooner or later. Good maintenance is all about performance and service life.
Using oil, grease, or oil and grease works just fine to "properly" lubricate the Ruger Mini rifle for nearly all uses. Grease, in particular calcium-base grease, is often the best for extremely wet environments due to its water-resistant properties.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Here's my bolt... it's from a 583 with somewhere under 1000 rounds through it (I don't keep track).
I left it alone but will probably clean it up next time it's apart.
I didn't take any pictures of the hammer but it doesn't show any signs of wear.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I always dress burrs. Leaving them just creates stress risers. It’s also harder to tell if peening is growing.

Ive used grease on the Mini since I bough my 1st, 20 years ago. I haven’t had any peening issues, but I have avoided stainless models for the most part.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts