Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello Red and welcome. As long as you brought it up, I have some questions for the crowd. I noticed the police models have bayonet lugs. Has any police force ever used them? Any civilians been skewered by the cops? Or does swat " mount bayonets" before entry? Just wondering about the different uses for them. Maybe hunting with the .223 you'll need to finish off your game with it. ( that's for Mike M. ha ha just kidding ) Seriously though ,I've had M1 carbines with them and once mounted, the short carbines look pretty wicked, but that gets you awful close to your attacker. Also got an SKS with one. I'm trying to picture myself shishkabobbing a burglar. Hmmm, actually not all that bad. So does anybody know of any real world uses for a bayonet? Not knocking em, I have all kinds of oddball stuff myself.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 03-02-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that the appeal of the Bayo to me is one that is hard to explain. A rifle that is merely a "civilian" model holds far less appeal to me than a military, or para-military rifle does. Hell, I want bayo's for my air rifles! (I'm just kidding!??!)

Any rifle can fire a round, but the presence of the bayo signifies that it is designed for a "hunting" of a different sort, and to be honest my collection has only two .22's and a few shotguns that are intended for non-primate hunting.

I LOVE military rifles and the mini, when set up in a paramilitary configuration, is really a beautiful sight in my eyes. Heck, it's not accurate enough to be a "hunter" and I think that a lot of folks see it as a plinker, when in fact it is more of a M-1 carbine clone. Designed to spit out fairly accurate fire from a handy length weapon. This confusing the Mini as a "plinker" comes from the fact that it is chambered in .223 instead of the .30 round of the old carbine.

I mean, who could honestly call the M-1 carbine a "plinker" when it is common knowledge it was made to provide a middle ground between pistol and rifle for warfare?
A .22 is a plinker, these other rifles have a military heritage. Heck, anything less is like calling the Jeep an "off road cruiser" instead of the old Army mule that it is.

The Mini being chambered in .223 makes folks want to exceed the limitations of the carbine in order to maximize the potential of the .223 round. Had Mr. Ruger chambered it in .30 instead of .223 people probably wouldn't bother trying to make a target rifle out of it. Heck, even the AR in carbine form isn't a whole lot better than the mini in most respects, and decidely worse in others, yet we all realize the AR as a military weapon, and would expect it to have all the military accoutrements. My 7 years toting the AR as a left handed shooter in the Army ensured I would never entertain the idea of actually buying one, but when I see a "flat top" or H-bar without a bayo lug on the thing my stomach just cringes! Hell, why not paint is pink and glue pretty sequins on it as well? I mean, it's a military rifle for God's sake!

I know, I know,....I'm sure I'm probably not the only "freak" around that gets a charge out of a bayo. (get it? Bayonet charge?) I love the Mini, not as a coyote hunter, but more as a "Mini" version of the M-14, although with decidely less accuracy. It is THE weapon I'd use on the farm out to about 200-250 yards if I was needing to put down fire. I KNOW for a fact that it (unlike the AR) is NOT going to jam on me, although the crappy aftermarket mags might.

The Bayo's real world use is very limited indeed.
But, as a survival type nut (aren't we all secretly survivalists to one degree or another?) the Bayo, and the rifle itself are both "limited" in real world use, what with us being a society of "laws" and such. I mean, if I can't just start shooting folks that piss me off, then surely I can't stick them either. But just in case all hell ever does break loose before I turn 70 I want the pig sticker as well as the high cap mags. Heck, for that matter a flash supressor is VERY limited in usefulness unless you're hunting other armed men at night.

I think the Bayonet has outlived its usefulness in many respects. The days of massed formations, bayonets at the ready with desperate men trying to break the will of an opposing force have probably gone the way of the cavalry charge. I do know that
the psyhological impact of a maniac trying to
turn you into a shishkebob up close and personal must be terrifying at best. Besides, if you're using after market mags that are half as crappy as some of the ones I've had a Bayonet might be the ONLY way you're going to draw blood onsomething unless you throw some of those crappy mags at your target and hit it.

I guess it's a matter of degree. Myself, I have NO use for pistol grip rifles and avoid them like the plague. Pistol grips are great when you're sweeping a room, but I always hated tring to fire in the prone with pistol grips. I prefer a bayonet, or a flash supressor when it comes time for my rifles "evil features". That's one of the reasons why I have mini's instead of any AR'S, SKS's instead of AK's, Mas 49/56 and M1-A instead of FN FAL'S.

And the very last reason I can recommend the Bayo is when the wife and I play Israeli border guard. She's the poor Palestinian wench and I'm the mean Israeli border guard.
I march her at the end of a bayonet into the bedroom for "interrogation" and then.....
well, let's just say eventually she get's the "point" if you know what I mean. Sorry, I know this is a family forum

I guess the Bayo is one of my many little quirks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
TOUCHE! Not bad RED. I think I get your point. Hope you are going to stick around these parts for a while. You raised a bunch of interesting platforms for discussion of the mini. I too think the design of the mini is overlooked by many because of the mag problems and Ruger politics. Israeli border guard, hmmm, honey - can you come here a minute and read this guys post. Well? No chance huh. Oh well. I tried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts