Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new mini 14 owner. Real new like 6 hours new, but I was wondering about buying replacement parts ?especially? barrels. Actually heavier barrels that would not either cool faster or heat slower.:samurai:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Congradulations on your new purchase If taken proper care of it should last you many years. There are alot of add ons for the Mini-14 but someone will correct me if Im wrong I think the only barrel replacement would be done by Ruger and would be the same one as what you have got. And I assure you Ruger would charge you for the replacement. I think it would be best if you take care of the one you got. Hope this helps

Good Luck.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a friend that has one of the Accuracy Sysstem minis and it is truly unique. It never ceases to raise questions when uncased as to what the h is that? You have to love when somebody is shooting one of those inaccurate minis and outshooting one of those accurate ARs. Bad part is he has more money tied up in the mini than he would have with an AR.

·
Registered
540 Posts
4th option -
Clark Custom will also do a barrel job.
I was seriously tempted to go with them, but they are a little pricey.
The Shilen barrel is short chambered and not gas ported and needs to be installed by a "competent" gunsmith.
ASI and the "3rd option" will sell install them for you.

I have backed away from the re-barrel plan as I am not yet confident that the chambers they are reaming will be military ammo friendly.
So I will first do a trigger job and a glass bed. I may fire lap the barrel as Cajungeo did and see where that gets me first.
So I'd be out $150 initially instead of $600.
Good luck!:ar15:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
congrats on your new mini unpierced, ruger sells parts, as listed in your manual, also you can get after market parts from http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=218 , and a few others. I tried to remember a recent post, someone sent their vintage mini into ruger to be checked, it had 10,000 rds fired thru it. If I remember the post correctly ruger wrote back, and said he had a well preserved relic. I'd not worry about parts for a while, the mini is noted for its reliability. I'd recommend the usual barrel break in. 1 shot, clean, repeat 10 times; then 10 shots, clean, repeat 10 times. I'd get a box of several types of ammo to see what it likes, as each mini is different, before buying 1,000 rds of something it dosen't like. Also if you can keep your barrel from getting too hot, it will last longer. Hope this helps ya.;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was talking to Carl at Accuracy Systems Inc. regarding a mini-30, and he said that their standard match barrels are bored to.310 and the ultra-match barrels to.307 (I might be a little off on the numbers but you get the idea).

I would assume that he might have a similar difference in mini-14 barrels which might be more military-ammo friendly.:)

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Scotty---Soviet 7.62mm barrels are a larger diameter bore than our .30 calber. if I'm not mistaken if you check an AK or SKS bore it'll be around .311, where our 7.62's are based on a .308 inch bore. There is no problems with shooting the Soviet stuff in a .308 barrel but I can't say what the accruacy might be in tossing a 308 pill down a 311 barrel. Just for contents sake all Mini-30's have a .308" barrel.

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went to that Accuracy Systems website, and I am impressed. I really like that short 16.1" heavy barrel with the oversized gas block, 3 blade front sight and AR15 style flash hider. All that on a standard stainless Mini 14 (not Ranch) in a wood stock with a trigger job rounds out an awesome package for my tastes. I will be calling them to discuss my rifle's future at the first of the week. If anybody has anything bad to tell me about this company and the products it turns out before Monday, I would like to hear it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts