Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many rounds roughly can you fire through a Mini in semi Auto mode before you get the barrel hot enough to damage it.I always here people talking about not getting your barrel to hot but they never quote how hot? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to seem sarcastic...but every time you fire a rifle, you cause "damage" to the barrel.

Now, as for estimating the number of continuous rounds that could be fired in one string through a Mini-14 before barrel damage occured...well, you're on your own to test that out.

But I will say this...I've personally witnessed more than a few (and much better made) barrels being totally ruined in our lab with as few as 150-200 full-auto rounds touched off in a single string.

My guess is that the Mini-14 barrel would fair no better.

There is a very simple percentage scale to judge barrel life, where the percentage of rapid-fire shooting you do equals the approximate percentage reduction in barrel life. So, rapid fire 30% of the time...reduce your barrel life by 30%, and so forth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
PSG,

I've always wanted to see what would happen to a Mini or AC barrel in one of the destructive rapid-fire tests we run here. I don't think it would be pretty...lol...

Whats your experience with the AC and and the stock barrel? How many rounds through it? Any problems with throat erosion or anything else unusual that you can tell?

Oh yeah...as a government stamped and certified official Old Phart, I no longer make a challenging target. Even for a Mini...LOL

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine is one of the folders with the short barrel so its not really accurate to began with.Its like the one that John Travolta uses in the movie "Broken Arrow" when they are down in the mine.It has around 3000 rounds threw it.I've never checked for throat erosion.But you can cook eggs on the barrel after shooting it!:sniper:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Stupid question no. 1: would taking off the heat shield/ handguard when rapid-firing do anything towards helping the barrel keep cooler?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I know heat will change the harmonics of the barrel, so bullet impact will change as the barrel heats. Some bench rest shooters say if you can't stand to touch the barrel for 30 seconds its too hot. For My mini its about 5 shots, but this is not enough heat to permantly damage the barrel. I only do this when I'm play acting a bench rest shooter with my mini. I'm not afraid to zip of a mag or 2, but I have too much respect for my mini to shoot more, till it cools for a spell. Just my opinion:D

·
Registered
569 Posts
great discussion guys, but what's the answer? when the ************* come accross our borders -apartments, malls, restaraunts will all be hit. they'll be hit in such force that our brothers on the thin blue line, will be decimated, in the time it takes to mobilize the military, we're all that's left. It'd be nice to know from anyone who can say.....how many rounds can we expect to spend before we have to run and regroup or stand and fight with knives? Maybe one of us should do a test.......

·
Registered
427 Posts
Thanks Mr. Special Poop for those doomsday thoughts.

You know, be prepared for the worst and then be thankful for our good fortune.

Your post diverged from the original, so I started a new thread in General Chit-Chat, under Cool head and proper aim for the situation. Could you stop by there and propose your strategies?

Personally, I like the idea of casual, hands-on, and educational weekend conferences. Regarding survival of our American Constitutional principles, our American government, and traditional American values. Then some reasonable target practice and hopefully, some "salty dog" mentoring.

Pardon me for the management-speak. This is my attempt to practice a respectable presentation to the suburban masses. Your feedback is appreciated, on the other thread in General Chit-Chat.

KC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts