Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am very much wanting to purchase a mini-14 but I do not want Case Face. Anyone have experiance shooting this gun lefthanded? Also, I am looking at a stainless model for 550.00. Does that sound like a fair price? Thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds a little pricey, but not crazy. Check gunbroker.com for more competitive pricing.

Also check into a shell catcher - this will prevent you from getting brass burns. I have one on my rifle and held it as a southpaw would. This will definately do the trick for you.

Check out the pics I have posted at: http://perfectunion.com/forums/showthread....ghlight=catcher

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool Pics.
I might have to do that, and I will also look for a better price on the gun.

I guess I was hoping for some type of factory shell deflector or something of that nature. Any more thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very funny javascript:smilie(':rolleyes:')

So, I guess that the brass does indeed flyrearward to the right.
I really would like a Ruger, but I might have to look into an AR-15 instead. Although I don't really want to spend that much. Are there any other .223 autoloaders that might be more suitable?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I dont have any experience with mini 14 ranch rifles, but on my standard mini the brass flies forward, not back at the shooter. I have never shot it left handed but i dont really think it would be a problem for the shooter....dont give up on a mini yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, Flying forward would work for me. I hate to show my ignorance but, what is the difference between a regular mini and a ranch model?

I work with a guy that used to have a mini 14 and he said that he thought the brass went up and forward, but that he wasn't sure because he's a righty and it never mattered. If I knew someone that had one I would just shoot it and see, but everyone I know either had one or wants one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a weak right eye, and therefore shoot lefty. (although I'm right handed) I can tell you that in the several hundred rounds I have put through my mini I have not had a problem.:)
Like Grinch says the brass generally flies foreward & to the right.
I have noticed that different brands of ammo eject somewhat differently.
I too considered the AR before deciding on the mini.
I'm glad I went with it. Great looks & preformance!:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GREAT!!!!

Glad to hear from someone that shoots lefty. That will settle it for me. I guess I will do a little price shopping and then get one.

I am also probably going to get a houge overmolded stock. I like the way they look, and if it improved performance then that would be a plus too.

Also, does anyone have any experiance with Hi-cap mags from John Mason Co. ? The place selling them claims they are the best aftermarkets around, but of couse they would say that.

I look forward to participating in this forum as an owner and not just a looker. Give me a few weeks and I will let you know how I like it. Thanks to all who have helped me with this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The ranch rifle version is more suited for a scope than the standard mini 14. It comes with scope rings, the rear sight folds down, and the casings eject to the side instead of forward and right. Check out Ruger's site for more info. Good luck with your mini!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i am a right hander shooter, but talking abut rifles i shoot from my left because my dominant eye is my left. mini-14 is a good rifle for left handed because the brass flyes forward.

mini-14 is one of my best investments if we talk about rifles, i love it

marcos

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have shot mini's left handed for years and only problem I ever had was when I shot a woodchuck out the window of my jeep, cracked the brand new winshield!
RR
:cannon: :rapid:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hmm? My experience with my Mini 14 Ranch is that it ejects to the right (of course) and BACKWARD. I've found casings as far as 20 paces away!, and at an angle of about 15-20 degrees backward. Maybe my gun is just funky that way.

Maybe I'm the one thats backwards. Aren't you supposed to put the muzzle against your shoulder? No wonder I can never hit anything. :confused:

:ar15:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the ruger website to check out the differences between the regular model and the ranch model. The ranch model is advertised as having a side ejection, in part to make it more receptive to a scope. Perhaps that is why your ranch model is throwing brass differently than the folks who have a regular model.

As for me, I will be purchasing a regular model mini-14. Now I just need to decide on stainless or blue.
Choices, choices, I am just glad we live in a place where we are free to decide.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Great-
Keep us posted:)

And if the brass is flying the wrong way, I'd try shooting south of the equator before I tried Satan's method!;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
hey guys i just wanted to toss in my 2 cents worth on this subject, i have owned 3 mini's over the years, 2 standard mini's and one ranch rifle, the standard model does indeed eject empties up and forward, and the ranch rifle throws hard to the right, so it will clear a scope, i shoot both left and right, and the standard mini is not a problem to shoot left handed.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I shoot lefthanded and I have never been by ejected brass. I shoot a Mini-14, M1A, M1, Remington 742, 10/22. The only one that has ever hit me with brass is the AR-15.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a standard Mini 14 in ss with the synthetic stock. I'm right handed but shoot lefty and have never been hit by flying brass. And I also noticed it doesn't take long for your friends to figure out where to stand while you're firing..........hhmmmmmm

Seems to me the stainless/synthetic combo is easier to keep clean.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts