Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CMP is selling Hornady 75grn. open tip hollow point for $120/case of 200rounds.
I found this to be an extremely accurate round in a 1/7 twist CMMG AR15.
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with this round out of a series 581 mini-14? pure conjecture also appreciated.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have no vaulble information, but just an observation. It seems the more lethal a round is the more it cost.

FMJ 224 is the cheap stuff, 5.56 is the expensive, and hollow point 223 is just as much as 5.56

No wonder 7.62 is so cheap...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference. My recommendation to you is to buy some 62gr PMC Bronze. It's plenty lethal (going by ballistics) and it's a LOT cheaper. Not to mention it's clean, accurate, and a good bit less expensive.

I have no worthwhile info on that actual round, but honestly if you want a SUPER lethal round for your Mini and you are willing to spend some dough, buy some of those green tips =) .. those are some bad boys.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That Hornady 75grn. open tip hollow point is one of my go to coyote killing ammo's out of one of my Mini's with a 1/7 twist barrel. I have killed song dogs out to just under 300 yards with it. 292 yards to be exact, measured with a laser range finder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did it! traded a used S.A. milspec straight across for a NIB/unfired 186 all weather 1:7 with original box/papers...private party transaction here in Arkansas so no yellow forms.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have no vaulble information, but just an observation. It seems the more lethal a round is the more it cost.

FMJ 224 is the cheap stuff, 5.56 is the expensive, and hollow point 223 is just as much as 5.56

No wonder 7.62 is so cheap...
If your talking about surplus 5.56, like Lake City, its fairly good ammo but it is over priced for what it is.

·
Registered
311 Posts
$120/200 is VERY expensive. The PMC green tip shoots pretty well for me. If one wants a different bullet for the occasional critter-killin it's not too much trouble to use a kinetic bullet puller, resize the neck, pour the powder back in and reseat a superior bullet. I've loaded up quite a few 308 deer rounds using Austrian surplus ammo just that way. Heck of a lot cheaper than paying $20/box for hunting ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts