Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In reading a number of posts it appears that you all like either the XM193 55 gr. bullet or the M855 62 gr. bullet. I think the XM 193 bullet is what I want to use, BUT

I see that Federal American Eagle offers the XM 193 bullet in a loaded round that sells for $.48 a round at Midway. That seems pretty expensive to me!

Are there better price options out there? Less expensive sources?

Does it matter if one goes with a .223 or 5.56 loading of the bullet?

I do not hand load.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
rWT, my preferred ammo is PMC Bronze in .223 Remington. It works well, is reasonably accurate, and cheaper (usually) than M193. PMC also offers M193 and M855, under their X-Tac line.

I buy the PMC .223 Rem in bulk (usually 1,000 rounds) from Target Sports. They usually have a decent price and a 1,000 round purchase is almost always free shipping.
As of right now:
PMC Bronze: 0.33/round
PMC Bronze 223 Remington 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Privi Partisan (PPU) M193 (0.35/round):
Prvi Partizan 5.56mm M193 Ammo 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
PMC X-TAC M193 (0.37/round):
PMC X-Tac 5.56x45mm NATO Ammo 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket
PMC X-TAC M855 (0.40/round):
PMC X-Tac 5.56mm M855 62 Gr Green Tip FMJ

Target Sports frequently has sales that will drop the price. Once you order something from them, you'll get periodic e-mails running specials.

The PMC Bronze .223 works fine for me. I have a bolt gun that only works with .223 Rem, so for commonality I have switched to .223 Rem.

All three will work well for your Mini-14, and the PMC Bronze .223 works great for me (it's also less expensive than 5.56 ammo).

Your Mini-14 can handle all three (.223 Rem, M193, and M855); it is just a matter of what you intend to use your Mini for. The PMC .223 Rem is close to the M193 ballistic characteristics and is usually cheaper. Both will do a damn-damn on a target - be it paper, creamer bottles, or zombies. If you want to shoot through car doors, then perhaps the M855 is better..

If the opportunity arises - even if you don't hand-load - save your brass. There are several members of this forum who do and would gladly accept your expended brass. Shipping is inexpensive and it helps out other members.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've been using the federal .223 55grain lately, picked up at the local Wally World... Pulled one apart to compare with federal xm193... The only difference between the two were the cannelure was a bit higher on the .223.

This last time though I picked up some cheap Tula to see how the mini reacted to that.

I encourage you to think about reloading though, there are some really cool bullets out there... I've become a big fan of Noslers 62 grain varmegedden bullet.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Be advised that cheap ammo is usually that; cheap. So, if you're using the cheap stuff don't expect it to be as accurate or consistent as the quality stuff. In addition, if you shoot the really cheap commie stuff, it likely will be dirty and under powered.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I like LAX Ammo. Bought my first 200 rounds of PMC Bronze from them. They were quick to ship and efficient. Their shipping costs from the left coast to the east coast, though negated any savings. But at least I found that my Mini really likes the ammo.

Key point here is: find what ammo your Mini (and you!) like, and then order in 1,000 round increments with free shipping.

I may try out some Geco, but for now I'm pretty well set.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use nothing but Silver Bear. Shoots great, no ftf's or any other problems. I have the 583 series mini 14, most of my shooting is 50 yds @ cans, gong targets, plastic containers occasionally paper targets. Cost per round avg is $.25 to $.30.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cabelas has Norma USA Tac 223 55 grain FMJ 20 round box for $6.99 with free shipping on orders over $49. I don't see a limit on how much you can order. I haven't tried it but Norma is usually quality ammo. The reviews on it are good, the only complaint I saw was that the primers are staked which adds a step when reloading. I've been thinking of ordering some just for the brass. They also offer 77 grain Match King loads but they are pretty pricey. You might want to check out the "Slickguns" website, they have deals posted by members and merchants. Just be careful and shop around, not all of their deals are that good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Are you loading that for a mini14? Wondering about the results.
Been on the look out for that bullet, haven't seen it in Canada yet.
I use it in all my 5.56 rifles but mostly with my mini as its my yote gun... Works very well!... Best groups I have shot with it in the mini were a hair more than 1 1/2 inches at a hundred yards... With a cheap 4x shotgun scope, prone off an ammo box... Still playing with loads and possibly new powders... I feel I can do better and I'm damn sure others could get better results too.

I get mine online... Don't know Canadian laws for that stuff though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Be advised that cheap ammo is usually that; cheap. So, if you're using the cheap stuff don't expect it to be as accurate or consistent as the quality stuff. In addition, if you shoot the really cheap commie stuff, it likely will be dirty and under powered.
Yep, Tula is much dirtier powder... This last weekend we were mostly shooting pistols... We weren't shooting for accuracy but we set multiple "reactive" targets out to around 70-80 yards for the rifles. The mini ate the the Tula like a champ and we had no issues shooting apples, corn or grape soda cans in quick order, standing freehand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been buying Federal American Eagle 55 grain FMJ .223 #AE223M packed in 20-round boxes for $6.44 at Wal Mart here in SE Georgia. That is .32/round..bar code 604544620146..great ammo/ great price..check it out guys...

·
Registered
58 Posts
In reading a number of posts it appears that you all like either the XM193 55 gr. bullet or the M855 62 gr. bullet. I think the XM 193 bullet is what I want to use, BUT

I see that Federal American Eagle offers the XM 193 bullet in a loaded round that sells for $.48 a round at Midway. That seems pretty expensive to me!

Are there better price options out there? Less expensive sources?

Does it matter if one goes with a .223 or 5.56 loading of the bullet?

I do not hand load.

Thanks!
I suggest that you take up hand loading. Apart from being much cheaper, no barrel is alike, and you can play around custumising your round to fit your rifle. Get together with a buddy who reloads in your area. I have been reloading for over 50 years, and I still get a kick in achieving a ragged hole grouping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suggest that you take up hand loading. Apart from being much cheaper, no barrel is alike, and you can play around custumising your round to fit your rifle. Get together with a buddy who reloads in your area. I have been reloading for over 50 years, and I still get a kick in achieving a ragged hole grouping.
I've been handloading for years, did so for my Mini 14 soon after getting it. It's a lot of fun, and as Steveafrikaner wrote, you can achieve some accurate loads and save money on ammo in the process.

Just out of curiosity, Steveafrikaner, what have you found to be your most accurate load?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts