Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently just bought a mini 14 580 series ranch rifle. i do like the wooden stock it came with but id like to add a few things to it...like a front fore grip and pistol grip....basically i wanna make it more tactical. someon told me that the aftermarket tapco tactical have problems fitting clips in and feeding issues tht require a adapter. i found no mention of this adapter anywhere and wanted to know if anyone had any info on aftermarket tactical stocks. thanks in advance

·
Registered
298 Posts
i recently just bought a mini 14 580 series ranch rifle. i do like the wooden stock it came with but id like to add a few things to it...like a front fore grip and pistol grip....basically i wanna make it more tactical. someon told me that the aftermarket tapco tactical have problems fitting clips in and feeding issues tht require a adapter. i found no mention of this adapter anywhere and wanted to know if anyone had any info on aftermarket tactical stocks. thanks in advance
There are several companies that make Tactical type stocks. There is pro's and con's to them all. Here's a list of a few of them.

Tapco
TAPCO® INTRAFUSE®

Choate
Choate Machine & Tool - Ruger - Manufacturer Details

ATI
Ruger® Mini-14®/Mini-Thirty® - Advanced Technology International

SCAR
SCAR Stock- Mini-14/AC-556, Mini 30 - Stocks - ACCESSORIES

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great sites thanks guys. Have you guys heard of the need of an adapter for the magazines? I really wanna get a tactical stock, just don't wanna get something that won't work. Does anyone have any first hand experience with certain stocks that they would recommend?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Great sites thanks guys. Have you guys heard of the need of an adapter for the magazines? I really wanna get a tactical stock, just don't wanna get something that won't work. Does anyone have any first hand experience with certain stocks that they would recommend?
I dont have personal experience with any of them, but I would go with the ATI stock. Pretty light and it can fold.

Although who doesn't like the look of the scar stock

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can use the metal mag well reinforcement bracket from your wooden stock for the Tapco stock.

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
I initially bought and installed an ATI stock for my 580, but it had fitting problems and when I spoke to the company they suggested I take a file or sand paper to it, so reluctantly....I did. I got the trigger assembly to slide in easier but once the trigger grabbed on to the receiver, it seemed to pull it very tight. It was so tight, in fact, that it caused the action to bind.

So I sent it back for a return.

I then bought a Tapco, which I use for my 10/22 and absolutely love it. My daughter loves to shoot but the LOP with the wood stock was too long for her to handle. The adjustable T6 butt stock on the Tapco worked perfectly and with the addition of rails I was able to put on a bipod for her.

So using the same logic, I bought the Mini 14 Tapco stock and I am just as pleased with it as I was for the 10/22. Bought myself a fore grip and a bipod for the range, the long top picatinny rail gave me another option to mount my BSA Tactical scope because it has such a massive eye relief I could mount it ahead of the receiver slightly.

All in all, for the money ($100 range), the Tapco is fantastic in my opinion. I like the looks of the Sparta, but my girls are already familiar with the Tapco stock and the fit and quality were superb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found a ATI strike force on amazon I like. It has a cool style and a bottom rail tht I can put a fore grip or bipod on. But if ur saying the ATI aren't good I just wanna know if there is a website with more tapco stock options? I like the adjustable stock doesn't have to fold just as long as it adjusts and a bottom rail for grip and/or bipod.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
I found a ATI strike force on amazon I like. It has a cool style and a bottom rail tht I can put a fore grip or bipod on. But if ur saying the ATI aren't good I just wanna know if there is a website with more tapco stock options? I like the adjustable stock doesn't have to fold just as long as it adjusts and a bottom rail for grip and/or bipod.
That is the same ATI I tried, and I liked the folding option, but I just couldn't get the stock to get along with my gun and I didn't feel comfortable having to take material away from a product that should be built to better specs, in my opinion.

Of course, some people put them on and have no trouble at all.

The Tapco stock is sturdy, and well built. It has top and bottom rails and the T6 butt stock is the very same one found on many AR's and it's has 6 adjustment settings.

My daughter can handle the mini just fine now, she was having trouble managing the gun cause the LOP was just too long in the wood stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I will probably end up going with the tapco, outside of this forum I've heard good things about them. As long as its strong and sturdy it will do its job. Thanks a lot for the help guys. Any suggestions for online retailers? Based on fast shipping cheapest things like tht

I also have a 3x9 32mm scope will tht mount with the stock rings above the chamber

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been looking at the ATI Strikeforce for my 580 series. I've really been wanting to put a scope on it, AND still be able to use the iron sights. Can anyone tell me if the top rail on the ATI blocks the factory sight?
If so, are there any options for have both the scope and iron sights with one of these stocks?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the ATI stikeforce w/ folder. The front rail DOES block the rear sight, if you have something mounted. I imagine that see through rings would help, but the problem is that the bore axis/cheek weld is so high I have a hard time establishing a good sight picture. I've experimented with several setups: Red Dot with Magnifier, Scope with Red dot at 1 O'clock off set, off set iron sights (3 gun AR style) and have yet to find a set up that really maintains the rear sight with an optic. I did find that the ATI cheek riser is a MUST have though. Its a nice stock, although its heavy. The TAPCO and ProMag stocks are much lighter, and the Archangel's even full length rails allow you to use a flip up back up sight...

My two bits...for what they're worth.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
There is also the bullpup stock, havent heard anything about it though

BullpupGunStocks.com | bullpup rifle stocks for Ruger, SKS, M14 / M1A and Marlin brands
all reports I've heard... it's a chunk of junk.
terrible trigger pull, bad ergonomics, cheesy looking.

however I'd consider the notion of a bullpup If someone made a better quality bullpup stock, with better aesthetics and some serious engineering for the trigger mechanisim. (maybe something that has lines like a keltec RFB or L85) there was some outfit that was making a wicked looking bullpup for the SKS... even allowed use of stripper clips.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anyone use the Choate with the M4 style buttstock?

Eric
I have one I am working with as I write. Bought just the stock itself and buffer tube housing. Big disapointment in Choate. They changed the design of the stock. Expected a straight length of pull as the pic show's on their website.

The buffer tube housing has been given lots of drop. I was told by Choate that they changed it sometime ago, because the were getting complaints from people using open sights.

Choate gave me the run around so I just decided to keep it and fix. Leveled the buffer tube housing and actually used epoxy to secure, in addition to the two screws that they use.

Lots of sanding to get smooth. But in the end, with some more work, it will be a nice stock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.