Perfect Union banner

mini-14 accuracy

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bushwack 
#1 ·
i have had a mini-14 for about 6-months.the best group i ever got at 100 yards is like 3in.and that dont even happen all the time.mostly im lucky to get 12in. groups at 100yd.i went to a model70 winchester 22-250 now i can punch one hole at 100yd. with factory ammo.the best i have heard anyone shooting a mini is like inch groups after putting another 400dollers into them.if you all want to strive for accuracy find better rifles.mine is gone up for sale.

#2 ·
Hi Oger92, part of what you said about the mini is correct. It isn't known to be a tack driver, as it is for realiability. To get it to shoot near 1 MOA, you don't need to spend but $70 to $100. Check out these posts:
http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=1314
http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/...=&threadid=1949
http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/...=&threadid=1818
I like my mini because it is reliable, shoots 20 to 30 rds as fast as you can squeeze the trigger, many after market items to trick it out, ammo is cheep. It is fun to shoot. However if accuracy only, is what makes ya happy go for the bolt gun. Its slow, but more accurate than an auto loader.:)
P.S. I moved your post for ya to the accuracy forum.

#5 ·
Oger92,
First offer, $300, I pay shipping and transfer fees. And no noticeable damage to the stock or bluing. I'm in Manteca, CA. It has to go between FFL's to CA, sorry for that inconvenience. But at that price, I'd be happy to bed the stock and get the trigger worked.

Make me a counter offer if you want to unload it.

KC

#7 ·
well i am sorry if you dont like my posting about the mini-14.i am not "slaming"the gun i do like the looks and the feel of the gun.it is a nice weapon but it just aint what i need.i just figure for the price i paid for it i think it should do better."my opinion"i paid $500 for the mini. it dont have a scratch on it.it is stainless with wood stock.i would not take less than $450. as i said ido like the weapon. sorry if any one took me wrong.as far as postings go yea it may have been my first but hay ya gota start somewhere right!

#8 ·
oger92,
I priced the mini-14 at Walmart today. They have to order them, they don't stock 'em in our town. There were several models listed in code. I guess LS means laminated stock, SS means stainless steel, WD means wood. Anyhoo, list price for the most expensive one was $579.99!

I guess I did get a good deal for mine used, with bipod, aimpoint scope, folding stock (which is now illegal, so it had to be replaced), and muzzle brake. I paid $400 several years ago, so I did alright.

$450 is a fair price, you should be able to sell it locally for that or even for what you paid, if you got a good deal. I haven't checked with my favorite gun shop yet.

KC

:usa:

#13 ·
Oger
I'm happy your M70 is an MOA rifle, as it damn well should. It's a bolt rifle, and it's Winchester's flagship. But you're engaging in an apples and oranges comparison here. In the present context the performance of that rifle is meaningless. We're talking about a Mini-14 here. It is what it is. We are all very well aware of it's shortcomings and what we do here is enjoy the challenge of engineering out some of it's many faults. That's what this board is for. In my opinion, to which I am entitled, you should sell your Ruger. To quote you,
it is a nice weapon but it just aint what i need
, and I trust your judgement. So sell your rifle already, get something that will make you happy, and go post on their board. When you said
if you all want to strive for accuracy find better rifles
, were you making some remark about our judgement? I think this is the line that got you off to such a wonderful start here. Good day to you.

#14 ·
Oger--toss the Winchester, I have a Savage 12BVSS that shoots sub MOA out of the box. My scope costs nearly twice what I paid for the rifle. I have a Mini that cost more than my Savage & can't hit the box the Savage came in at 100 yards. Why do I mess with it? It's a challenge! If everything in this life were easy they'd let women be in charge!!!!!

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

#15 ·
You guys crack me up! Welcome Ogre you are aptly named. The trick is to use your M70 for the first shot, then blast the hell out of whatever you are tryin to hit with the next 50 from your inaccurate Mini. I bet if you keep both eyes open while you shoot you wont even have to use the sights the dust clouds will walk you to your target. Also dont use factory cheap ammo and complain about accuracy, it makes us look bad.:usa:

#16 ·
bushwack what caliber are you using in the savage?as for ivanimal i liked your anwser! the mini is a good gun for blazin off rounds.and for reloader this is definatly a challenge.a buddy of mine is a gunsmith and wants to play around with it. so were gona see what we can do.

#18 ·
oger---My Savage is a 308 Win. While it is really too heavy to tote around it has the ability to reach out there. On the other hand I could sling my Mini & tote it around all day. Another feature I like about the Savage is the ability to change barrels/calibers easily without the need of a gunsmith.

Good shooting
Bushwack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.