Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have different tastes when it comes to the stocks we use on our Mini’s. I currently have a Choate fixed pistol grip, Choate folding pistol grip (that I’ve never used in over 25 years) and a Hogue on the way. Will be ordering another Choate tomorrow, after finding out I can order the M4 collapsible, without the butt stock, so I can add my own MilSpec adjustable butt stock. I’d also like to get a SCAR one day but, I need to be in a much better place then I am now, to make that purchase. I really like my Choate fixed pistol grip stock. It’s the one that has been on my Mini since new, back in ‘87.

So, this is my attempt to generate some discussion about something other, then all the chaos we’re experiencing. What do you have for your Mini and why? Would be cool to put some numbers together and see what comes out on top.

· Registered
271 Posts
SCAR for the 14 & Tapco for the 30.

Initially, the Tapco for the 30 was for price (got good deal) and the ATI stock just didn't feel solid IMHO. Also, I like FDE & it was an option for the stock.

Now for the 14, I just bought it that way for an amazing deal.

If I do decide to change anything out, it would more than likely be the 30 in a Sparta stock.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SCAR for the 14 & Tapco for the 30.

Initially, the Tapco for the 30 was for price (got good deal) and the ATI stock just didn't feel solid IMHO. Also, I like FDE & it was an option for the stock.

Now for the 14, I just bought it that way for an amazing deal.

If I do decide to change anything out, it would more than likely be the 30 in a Sparta stock.
Coolness on the SCAR and the 14! What an amazing work of art. Totally changes the Mini.

I also thought, the ATI felt weak. Do like the adjustable butt stock and check rest though. The Sparta seems interesting. Haven't read too much bad about it.

· Registered
648 Posts
ATI, newest generation, except without the scorpion recoil grip...just the butt pad. Very solid with the adaptor in upside down for best cheek weld for me (I'm not a very tall guy...short face) and the hinge is not moveable at all until you push the button. Fits me great and works great with a bipod or forward grip, but not both.

Using ruger medium rings and a 32mm 3-9x scope.

God Bless!

Ron

· Registered
10,504 Posts
2 Hogue stocks and 2 with laminate thumb hole, all 3 SS models. I picked up a Ramline folder on sale but have not mounted yet. All 3 minis will fit, standard, target, and 6.8 models.

· Registered
182 Posts
Factory synthetic stock on my 582-series Tactical 14 and factory wood stock on my 185-series Mini-14. I thought long and hard about getting a Hogue overmolded stock for the Tac, but I actually like the factory stock just as much.

I love the wood stock on my older rifle.

· Registered
2,540 Posts
All three of mine are sportin' wood...oh, that sounds wrong, huh?

Anyway, I like the factory wood stock. I even swapped one onto my 581 Tactical.
I've been debating going to factory wood, myself. Seems like every time I find an OEM wood stock at a decent price on eBay, it's double that within moments of bidding ending.

Seriously, they're going for the same price I could order a brand spankin' new one from MidwayUSA... :angry:

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Factory synthetic, bedded.

I have an ATI but prefer the traditional.

· Registered
169 Posts
Ruger Factory Folder on a blued 186-series w/ Mo-Rod (Folder is an Original Owner mod for police duty, not how it left the factory.) I've actually been toying with the idea of working some kind of trade for a 581-series tactical in standard synthetic or Hogue, though...

· Registered
47 Posts
I've been debating going to factory wood, myself. Seems like every time I find an OEM wood stock at a decent price on eBay, it's double that within moments of bidding ending.

Seriously, they're going for the same price I could order a brand spankin' new one from MidwayUSA... :angry:
I got one from Numrich Gun Parts for $40.00. You have to get the little steel parts that go inside, but they're pretty cheap too.

· Registered
663 Posts
Just stuck with the regular black synthetic on my SS mini 14. Was trying to keep it light and it seemed that was the best way to do it. Rigid too!

· Banned
7,380 Posts
I only use factory stocks, wood or synthetic. Aftermarket stocks always seem to need tweeking, or sometimes its not possible to make them work. If I wanted my mini to look like an AR, then I would have bought an AR in the first place!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.