Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at all three, it does not seem like mini's are such a good deal as they used to be...looks like the prices are pretty high. By the time you buy a good Mini, and have the usual work done to it, looks like you are in AR territory. I know the 5.56 quite well, How does the 7.62 stack up as far as accuracy and power compared to the Nato 7.62 (which I also know quite well). I am having trouble justafying 1000 plus for the AR-10 type of rifle. I have found a NIB Mini 30 for a great price, I think I can get it down some more, but are they a good compromise?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have never owned an AR. I have owned, however, two mini 14s and currently a mini 30.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "usual" work being done to the mini, because I never did anything to any of mine.

The 7.62 x 39 cartridge, in my book, is an excellent medium game, deep woods caliber. I get about 4 inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. Deeps woods shots for me have been about 30 yards or less.

I've also heard that the AR is finicky and tough to clear a jam.

I've never had a jam on a mini.

YMMV

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usual work being a trigger job and either shortened barrel or a compensator of some kind. It looks like that is what a lot of people on this forum do to improve precision.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
trigger job, bore polish, receiver/stock shimming, gas block re-tourque, and good muzzle brake will net results much like what you will see on the 'accurizing' section when you use good ammo. I have a M30.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
there are some good 10 round mags available for the M30, and some 20's that can be made to function well (USA brand). rumor is that a quality mag company is going to produce 20's and maybe 30's early '08. IIRC it's Cproducts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey ,rummerd..
i have a stainless all weather 581 series mini30....no stock shimmying or torquing....just a Bushnell 1.75x4...not that expensive...i can hold it under 3 in. at a 100 yds....i love this rifle...don't know if they are all this accurate or i was just lucky in the draw....good luck with whatever you choose....

"Think Wisely and Shoot Straight"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am a Scout in the Army, going on 18 years and besides my own personal 1911 and 10-22, the only weapons I really know are the military ones. So I know what the 5.56 is capable of as opposed to the 7.62 that we use. I know the Soviet 7.62 is pretty effective but I cannot speak to its accuracy as an ammunition. I never had any real problems with any weapon issued to me and most of the problems I encountered in my unit were usually caused by the operator....not cleaning, messing with the trigger group to clean it, etc. I don't really think of the AR as complicated or as having reliability issues, but again, it's all I know. I have read a lot of internet about the mini and this forum seems pretty legit, but there is a lot of dis-information on the net. I found a really used 30 at a gun store for 350 bucks. Is a well worn Mini worth buying or should I stay away?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Used Mini 30

My opinion is $350 is fair for a well used 30. I would'nt pay more.
Some sound like they have good luck with the 30's here, 6 months with a new 30 was all I could handle.
Good luck, mp

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
worn as in exterior finish from being tossed around (truck gun)? if it's a stainless they are durable. if the bore is worn from shooting fast and furious (not likely with a 30 since 10 round mags are all that's available that will function w/o some tinkering) then the price may be high. will the seller let you run a patch down to wipe it then check the bore? some of the foreign ammo is corrosive-primed and could affect a blued 30 badly, and a S/S somewhat.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)Rummerd-Thank you for your military service!I could only stand 5 yrs myself!On the mini's you will not go wrong for reliability with the exception of some of the cheaper after market mags.I personally chose a sks for the 7.62x39 round and have zero to say about accuracy or reliability-it shoots great out to 800 meters with cheapo-chinese military ball-the old stuff that was copper coated casings.I have proved this both with iron sights and a scope with multiple witnesses.Cheap norinco threaded barrel unit circa early 90s.As for 7.62 nato-the ar10 is a good unit(notice I did not say great),as I have first hand range reports from some trained professionals about the ar10 needing some tlc in the break in period!Too bad ruger scrapped their plans on a 7.62 nato caliber mini style gun.In my personal belief,and that of many others who have btdt-if you are going the 7.62nato route that either a good tactical bolt gun,or a M1A/M14 are the best choices.I'm sure others will disagree-but that's their opinion.:blink:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has been my pleasure to serve, and continue to serve. However, 20 is going to be it for me. I am doing some serious thinking about the private military sector though. I am just not ready to drop the coin for M14, I have used it and agree that it is a fine weapon. That is a good call on running a patch through the Mini, I am sure that they will let me. The well worn unit looks to have been not properly maintained and is at this moment sitting in the store's rack in all its filthy glory. I think I may pick it up, worst case scenario it that it needs a new barrel right? It is stainless and has a Choate folding stock.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
a worn bore would show up after a cleaning patch through and some light on the subject. 'fouled' will show also as in copper jacketing fouling. even then it isn't doomed to the garbage. some smiths have the foul-out electro-mechanism that can remove even the worst with little effort. if it was me I'd check the bore and if not shot out take it home. if shot out offer them less$$, can't hurt to dicker with 'em.
myself I like my M30. if you want to check what the standard barrel can do w/good ammo check the 'accurizing' section. this is after my mods of course as I have stated. and slow fire, not dump the clip stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, even after accurizing it is still advesely effected by a warm/hot barrel? I am not planning on getting into any extended fire fights with any gun I purchase, but what if the coyote's get organized? I rarely ever dump a clip on the ranch, but still good info to have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Iv got a mini-30 and i think its a great little gun in a nice solid handy package.
It is a very good close-med range gun for deer sized game hunting in thick bush etc where long shots are uncommon.
the 7.62x39 simply does not have the same kind of grunt as the 7.62 nato, they have different purposes.. but it is still a very good round for close - med range applications.
As far as 5.56 vs 7.62x39 goes, the 7.62 is a better choice for med-large sized game as it carrys quite a bit more energy then the 5.56 and is able to easily penetrate into the vital areas of deer etc whereas a 5.56 may explode and create a crater if it hits bone, condeming the animal to a slow death.
7.62 will be completly adequate for 100-150yard deer, if you want to shoot further your looking at the wrong platform and cartridge. Like i said for its intended purpose the 7,62 is a great round..minimal recoil, exellent penetration...just a bit more versatile then the 5.56 i feel..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a very informative forum, lots of info. I am considering 4 different rifles at this point, all are ranch models. The well used 30 (189 model) with a folding stock for 300ish, clean 14SS with folder (187 model) for 450, a NIB 30 (wood stock) for 550 and a used (model unknown) 30 for 450. I don't know how the folders are for shooting, but they certainly look cool. I would rather have a synthatic stock over wood. I guess I need to go shopping! I am just a bit leary of buying a used gun or I would be all over the 300ish one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You say that the well used mini-30 is stainless? dosent sound too bad for 300ish, i would deffinitly give the barrel a good inspection first though, because if it is shot out, by the time you have had a new barrell fitted id assume you would have about the same amount of $ in the old mini as you would have spent if you would have just bought the $550 NIB mini-30 first off.
Might be a good idea to inquire as to the price of having a new factory barrell fitted so you could weigh up the costs of old mini with new barrel vs new mini.
If the barrell is good id say go for it, you can always change the stock and pretty it up.
Oh and id also find out the model of the "unknown" mini-30, if it's a 581 series that would be the way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took a closer look at the well worn 30 and the decent 14 today. The 14 is stainless and pretty clean, but a 1988 model. The 30 is really dirty and has a lot of copper all over the reciever, kind of ground into the scope mounts, etc. It is not stainless and is a 1990 model. I am thinking that even for 300 even its probably not a good deal. I am going to check out the other 2 30's tomorrow, one NIB, one used, both wood stocks. If either of them is a 581 I think I will grab it. Did the Mini-30 come as a stainless wood stock 581 series?

·
Registered
291 Posts
no, i dont think they are made like that. All new 581 series stainless models have the synthetic stock (as far as i know), although it is generally easy and cheap to source a factory wooden stock to swap it over.
My 581 mini-30 started life as a stainless/synthetic but i swapped out the stock for a wooden one. (im a sucker for wood and stainless, they are oh so fine)
good luck with your hunt!

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
the '90 and earlier model M30's had a bad rep for bad grouping due mostly to the .308 bore w/long throat. wise to pass on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts