Perfect Union banner

201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
The AR market has a lot of magazines available and they have the advantage of being able to replace followers with non tilt followers. Many of the cheapo aftermarket Mini-14 mags have lousy followers and if we had non tilt ones available,they could be made to work better.

I don't know much about the Mini 30 mags since AK rifles cost less at the time.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
uzitiger, the OE mag followers can directly be replaced with factor Ruger mag followers: a very simple process, with zero tilting. The combined cost of the OE mag and the followers (including S/H) is much less than the Ruger factory mags and, IMHO, better quality.

Just got six 10-rounders from CDNN/OE with what appears to be the same followers. They loaded up just fine, with no tilting apparent. Should there be a problem, Brownells or Midway will send Ruger followers for a song.

Just loaded up my six with zero problems. Will need to verify with actual shooting, but they are solid - just like their 20-rounder big-brothers - and are better quality (and smaller) than the Masen 10-rounders. And no tilting problems that I can see.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts

Since Tapco is now defunct, their Gen II Mini-14 mags, I predict, will be sought after like PMI and Fed Ord ones. I can't say enough good about the Tapcos, and I do mourn their passing. Glad I have 18 of them.... I find that, even though they are ugly compared to the Ruger Factory, I use them more. No rust, lighter,...

I keep my Ruger factory ones oiled up and in the safe.

Some links to Evals on them.

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/100355-my-review-tapco-gen-2-30rd-mags.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm glad that Pro Mag is not getting a bad rap which they don't deserve.
My steel and polymer Pro Mag magazines are flawless and drop freely except for the 20 round polymer mag which needed a little sanding to make it drop freely. I tried Thermold mags but one of them had the feel lip break off.

It's a shame that Remington filed for bankruptcy and Tapco was closed as a result. Too bad they didn't sell them off instead. They made good magazines for the Mini-14 along with other products like the AK folding stock.

Has anyone used the Triple K magazines? They are hard to find and are on the expensive side. I didn't know that they are still around until I saw them at the NRA convention last year.

We probably would have better aftermarket magazines if Bill Ruger would have allowed the hi cap magazines to be sold. He would have sold more Mini-14 rifles and we would have a better selection of magazines. Look at how many aftermarket AR-15 magazines are available with non tilt followers. Most of them work well and are inexpensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have Promag drums and mags for my Saiga12 and they work good after some sanding and trimming. Since Tapco is out of the picture I’m hoping that magpul will seize the opportunity if they see that there is a big market.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I honestly can't believe Magpul has not stepped up. In AR15 mags, they are competing with literally dozens of makers. they certainly have the technology. With the Mini-14, they would only be competing against Promag, Thermold, and Ruger factory.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have Promag drums and mags for my Saiga12 and they work good after some sanding and trimming. Since Tapco is out of the picture I'm hoping that magpul will seize the opportunity if they see that there is a big market.
I did the same for my Promag Saiga 12 mag. It needed less sanding than the Taiwanese magazine to fit. It works just as well as the factory mag.

I hope someone buys Tapco's tooling and brings back their products including the Mini-14 mags.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I will add that it is easier to load the Tapcos on a closed bolt, if it only has 29 rounds in it. With 30, it tends to pop the top round loose while you load. Open bolt, they work fine with 30. I will say, that I had the same problem with a couple of my Ruger factory 30s, loaded to the top.

Loading to 29 seems to be a decent practice, anyway, and that is what I have done with my AR mags since my days in the big green machine in the 1970s, and as an LEO, i only loaded 28 in my M1 Carbine and Mini-14 30 rounders. The 20 rounders for all (15 in the M1), though, I load to full capacity.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thermold 30-round magazine modification

This modification of the Thermold 30-round magazine works!! I modified 12 Thermold mags, and tested them out at the range. They all worked flawlessly.

Check it out!

https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/rug...-thermold-mags-closer-ruger-factory-spec.html

If you're not put off by the risk...and a little careful labor, it's worth it. Go here to purchase Thermold 30-rd mags cheap. Sportsman's Guide sell 3-packs for $24.99 (that's only $8.33 each!!) But, you will have to radically modify them.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...e-556-nato-223-rem-30-rounds-3-pack?a=1174807

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bet if someone makes non tilt followers for the Mini 14 they would sell well. Bill Ruger di not want to sell high capacity magazines to the public and people went with ARs including his company. Had he not been such a hardhead, we could have seen more magazines and followers made for the Minis.
Aftermarket magazines vary in quality and the only ones that worked for me are the Promag in both polymer and steel. Thermold mags worked well until the feed lips cracked which is a shame. I haven't tried the Tapco ones yet but they seem to be well made. I had an Eagle one made for both the Mini and AR which worked well and others with a rollup spring but the attachment cracked making it useless. The clear plastic ones were too brittle. I would love to see Magpul make mags but who knows with the DemocRats usurping power

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the fracture/cracking/breaking off of the feed lip common in plastic/polymer Ruger mini14 magazines?. I have two clear plastic Millett 30 Rd mini 14 magazines and both fractured/cracked at the left rear feed lip rendering them useless as they wont retain a
loaded cartridges.

[Its a funny gag to play on someone asking them to load up your magazine and watch all the cartridges fly out once they take their hand off the loaded cartridges.]

·
Registered
952 Posts
.....[Its a funny gag to play on someone asking them to load up your magazine and watch all the cartridges fly out once they take their hand off the loaded cartridges.]
LOL....had that happen to me on a Taurus PT99 cheap metal after market magazine that I bought at a gun show when the spot welds in front of the mag gave way. Took me a couple of minutes to realize what had just happened. Only bought Taurus mags after that, which took place about 10 years ago. I'm sure there are better after market ones made now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, new guy here. Ive been trying to source better magazines for my mini14. I have 2 brand new promag 30 round steel mags that are junk to put it politely. Unfortunately Im in MD so have to travel out of state to get them. Was looking for 10/30s if they are available for mini's. Even polymers would be better over what ive got. Thanks and hello........im looking for the newbie section BTW so apologies for doing it here.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hi, new guy here. Ive been trying to source better magazines for my mini14. I have 2 brand new promag 30 round steel mags that are junk to put it politely. Unfortunately Im in MD so have to travel out of state to get them. Was looking for 10/30s if they are available for mini's. Even polymers would be better over what ive got. Thanks and hello........im looking for the newbie section BTW so apologies for doing it here.
the pro mags can be fixed to work well, the magazine bumpout that the latch catches needs to be extended about 1/8 inch to keep the magazine higher up in the well, this lets the rounds to be stripped off without jamming and lets the bolt lock back after last round...I fixed a few with epoxy to see exactly how much is needed, then I will put a drop of weld and grind as needed...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine seem like they need to be reduced around 1/8"+ to catch sooner. When you try to lock it in, the first in line cartridge is pressing hard into the bottom of the bolt with enough force it puts a deep crease/dent into the casing before it catches in the well, if you can get it to catch at all.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mine seem like they need to be reduced around 1/8"+ to catch sooner. When you try to lock it in, the first in line cartridge is pressing hard into the bottom of the bolt with enough force it puts a deep crease/dent into the casing before it catches in the well, if you can get it to catch at all.
I was never a big fan of promags and try to get factory, I guess each run of promag they stamp the bump out in different spots....in that case file down the bump out slightly till it fits in more easily..other than the latch not catching do you have any feed issues?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have steel Promags and they work flawlessly. Contact Promag and they will take care of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have steel Promags and they work flawlessly. Contact Promag and they will take care of you.
Ive called the warranty number on the package a few times but never an answer, so I sent an email explaining the situation but no response as of yet. I had high hopes these were going to be good, but I guess I got the bad bunch both times. If Promag does reach out to me to help that will be awesome.

201 - 220 of 221 Posts